PDA

View Full Version : Broken windscreens on watten road.

Tc4
10-Feb-05, 11:28
Hi,

I was wondering about something i work in thurso thus have to travel the road up and back everyday in the last 4 months i have had to replace the windscreen in my car twice at a cost of £60 each time. plus the paintwork is all chipped aswell :(

Then after the last time i got it replaced it got chipped the day after boy was i mad. The state of the road is a joke.

I personally know a good few more people who have lost windscreens in the same manner and also on the same stretch of road.

What i want to know is who i can send the bills to along with a nice letter of complaint i would say 1 windscreen is bad luck and i wont say what i consider 2 to be.

I know the council have acknowledged that there is a problem on the road so i would like to think making a claim to them should be the way to go.

Any info or feedback on this would be appreacted.

Cheers

Tc4

Riffman
10-Feb-05, 11:31
I doubt if my car will pass the MOT this year, the windscreen is so badly chipped. I ain't exactly made of cash, I wish the coucil would do somthing about it!!!!

10-Feb-05, 14:39
Same here - chipped between Wick / Thurso on a 6month old vehicle......grrrrr [mad]
Small round bullet mark directly in the driver side.
Bodywork also has stone chip marks on bonnet and front wings.

Can I claim from whoever ?

debs
10-Feb-05, 17:09
it happenned to my car as well,not happy cos its going to cost to fix it

Julia
10-Feb-05, 17:32
A chip on that road smashed my front spot light.... I mostly always take the Castletown road now

wicker
10-Feb-05, 17:57
I have a small chip on my screen but not cause to be replaced YET but im still taking the castletown road nowadays cos its smooth all the way nothing wrong with the road at all, even kilmster is better and thats saying something no pot holes to avoid, no loose chippings and i think its quicker aswell

highlander2222
10-Feb-05, 20:14
Hi,

I was wondering about something i work in thurso thus have to travel the road up and back everyday in the last 4 months i have had to replace the windscreen in my car twice at a cost of £60 each time. plus the paintwork is all chipped aswell :(

Then after the last time i got it replaced it got chipped the day after boy was i mad. The state of the road is a joke.

I personally know a good few more people who have lost windscreens in the same manner and also on the same stretch of road.

What i want to know is who i can send the bills to along with a nice letter of complaint i would say 1 windscreen is bad luck and i wont say what i consider 2 to be.

I know the council have acknowledged that there is a problem on the road so i would like to think making a claim to them should be the way to go.

Any info or feedback on this would be appreacted.

Cheers

Tc4

Claim it of the council others i beleive

unicorn
10-Feb-05, 21:21
we just replaced our widscreen due to it being broken near watten and i contacted the council who have yet to get back in touch :roll:

wi46
10-Feb-05, 21:22
I have had 2 windscreens fitted in the last 3 weeks and have been speaking to the fitter from Autoglass and he fitted 56 screens in Caithness last week? he said we have no chance of sueing the council as they have temporary signs up at Bilbster???

we should start to petition Bear or whoever should be looking after the roads,
wait till you see how much the insurance will be up for cars from kw postcodes next year

Riffman
11-Feb-05, 00:21
From Wick,Highld
Via Castletown,Highld
To Thurso,Highld
Distance 20.8 miles
Time 0 hr 34 min

From Wick,Highld
To Thurso,Highld
Distance 20.5 miles
Time 0 hr 30 min

0.3 of a mile. That the difference between taking the castletown road and the thurso road.

Fran
11-Feb-05, 02:49
[mad] I had to get a new whole front window after someone passed me on the Watten Road and a stone broke my window. The road is a disgrace. Who repairs it, the council or Bear. There are a lot of us complaining, I think we should all send copies of our receipts/ bills and send them to whoever is responsible for the road, plus a letter to the groat, John Thurso, the P & J, and claim compensation.
The Castletown Road is better, and it is a fact that it is safer than the Watten road. There are more accidents on the Watten Road as it is straighter and drivers therefore tend to speed. [evil]

unicorn
11-Feb-05, 08:54
thats how ours got broken it was someone passing us going the opposite direction that threw the stone up and it left an inch sized bullet mark :eek:

Fifi
11-Feb-05, 11:45
I also picked up a stonechip recently on my new windscreen (finally had it replaced after previous stonechip spread into a large crack) on the Castletown to Wick road.

However, I don't need to worry about the windscreen any more 'cos I span off the road on an icy patch last night and pretty much mashed the rest of the car!!! Nobody hurt, it was a kind of spinning and bumping accident rather than a smash. I would like to thank the two gentlemen heading for Wick who stopped to help and picked up my bumper! Also thanks to Elaine who stopped and gave me a lift home. Caithness folk are just the best!

The Angel Of Death
11-Feb-05, 13:42
Anyone got the address / email / phone number that we can complain to ???

My car has a lovely 8 inch crack on the window now

Has anyone else got anywhere with the council / bear ???

wi46
11-Feb-05, 18:55
it is in the local paper today that the council are shutting the wick- watten road for urgent repairs? about time it is a joke.

my mate works for Autoglass and they have another 60 screens to fit in caithness next week, this time last year only about 4 a week what does that tell you.

The Pepsi Challenge
11-Feb-05, 21:53
You could always take bus. And we do need to think of the environment after all. Yes, welcome to Edinburgh, folks.

The Angel Of Death
11-Feb-05, 22:04
You could always take bus.

Aye if only the bus company afforded us all with the luxuary style busses dounreay get and not the old bone shakers that the rest of us get dripping with condensation that cold your teeth are chattering so much your fillings are coming loose

Yea good idea i think i want to freeze to death come monday morning i'll take the bus

weeboyagee
12-Feb-05, 10:53
Travel to work and back every day on THAT road. Two windscreens in the last four weeks, and on the way back yesterday, ..yes,..you've guessed it, I have a bullet mark in the windscreen so will be phoning the insurance company yet again - this time on another car as I took the first car off the road because of the damage it was getting - stones hitting it (two windscreens and a new paint job - not my idea of a satisfactory road surface!) [mad]
What's more infuriating is the SLOW response to the problem - and the RIDICULOUS thought that everybody will travel "SLOW 20mph". Even if you do travel at that speed (not quite acustomed to it yet!) it's the flying stones from the overtakers and the cars in the other direction that wallop you! 60 windscreens in a week - THAT'S A JOKE! But if the money for replacing the windscreens doesn't come direct from the council's pocket is it not little wonder they have to wait for an outrage before they respond!!! Nuff said methinks! [disgust]

The Angel Of Death
14-Feb-05, 13:39
Was in at the council today registering a complaint and was advised if i wanted to claim for the windscreen to put it in writing to them and he also said that he didnt think there would be a problem with the claim for the new window

Also said that there has been loads of people complaining as well best option is we all put in claims and complaints that way they have to listen

LENSMAN
14-Feb-05, 18:53
Thought I'd be clever today and take the Castletown road to Thurso.
Got as far as Lochshell and had a stone hit the windscreen.
Then on the way home had one hit it just outside of Castletown.
Nice to hear that the council are entertaining claims, I'll see what they can do about the 2 chips in mine.

The Angel Of Death
31-Mar-05, 16:52
Just a quick update got a lovely cheque from the council for £60 compo for the replacement window

Out of curiosity did anyone else put in a claim and have they had anything back yet ???