PDA

View Full Version : Front Page Query! Urgent!

Caithness_MMM
24-Dec-06, 23:21
The seal that is pictured on the front page needs some help as it is extremely underweight and needs some help if it is still alive. If there is anyone in the area tomorrow morning and spots it could you please call 07810 862 486 and let me know please and i will get a team together to pick it up.
As a rough guide (if you are interested) a pup with a white furry coat should look like a barrel unless newborn, if you can see wrinkles in the skin or the protrusions of hip bones etc then it is malnourished and slowly starving to death. please, i would rather have a few calls out to a healthy pup if you are not sure.

hope someone can help.

Bill Fernie
25-Dec-06, 01:38
The photos were taken on 17th December so it is unlikley it will still be around unless they can survive that long. unfortunately I have no idea what sick seal looks like and it seemed quite playful rolling over and looking at me as I took the photos. I did think it was very high up the grass banking. By the time I got home it was beginnign to get dark and wasnot sure if anyone would go walking along the beach at Ackergill in the pitch black to look for a seal. Would you? Although I have read the particulars on the web site I would still be unsure if you want calls relating to animals found when it would be dark by the time you got there. It was about half a mile along the coast from Ackergill harbour heading to Girnigoe Castle but as I say this was week ago.

Caithness_MMM
25-Dec-06, 10:42
Thanks Bill, I will go out there and have a walk to see if i can find it. Yes call even if it would be dark, the medic team are equipped with torches and do not go out alone for safety reasons, so a walk along an easy piece of bank like that would be fairly easy especially compared to a couple of calls we have had in the dark across rocks lol.

No worries about you not knowing what a sickie looks like, neither did I a year ago! :D