PDA

View Full Version : Seaweed

porshiepoo
28-Dec-12, 18:34
I tootled off to the beach today to get a couple of bags of seaweed and found nothing! Obviously the live stuff is in abundance but I'm not touching that I want the washed up stuff.
I just always assumed that seaweed was a forever presence at the beach - obviously not! Anyone know the best times to gather some. Any way of predicting it?
The beach I went to was Dunbeath but I could go to any of the ones along the coast up to Wick so which is best and at what time?

Southern-Gal
28-Dec-12, 19:58
There is loads washed up at Keiss and Reiss at the moment along with lots of dead seals :(

pat
29-Dec-12, 10:00
Why not take some of the fresh seaweed back, hose it down or leave it outside in a pile to get rained on to remove some of the salt and leave to dry - should not take long with the wind.

Torvaig
29-Dec-12, 11:16
I tootled off to the beach today to get a couple of bags of seaweed and found nothing! Obviously the live stuff is in abundance but I'm not touching that I want the washed up stuff.
I just always assumed that seaweed was a forever presence at the beach - obviously not! Anyone know the best times to gather some. Any way of predicting it?
The beach I went to was Dunbeath but I could go to any of the ones along the coast up to Wick so which is best and at what time?

Have a google for local tide times and you will get your answers there but I'm afraid you will find many more than seaweed washed ashore at high tide..... good luck and wear thick rubber gloves for your own safety.

porshiepoo
30-Dec-12, 09:15
Thanks for the answers guys!
Think I'll have to get myself up to one of the other beaches.

smithp
30-Dec-12, 16:04
Try the beach at fresick. Also Keiss harbour might be worth a look, as the weed might be near your car.