PDA

View Full Version : Isabella Brander ms Bain

tiffers
28-Dec-12, 00:38
After some research on Isabella Bains husband James Brander I think I have now managed to piece together some of the missing Jigsaw. It would seem after their marriage in Madras they returned to Scotland sometime between 1876 and 1878 could be that she returned after her father died in 1877. They went to New York in 1877 , from that passenger list it states Scotland is country which they intend to inhabit,
RMS Scythia Liverpool, England to New York
11 July 1877 118 James Brander 37 M Banker Scotland Scotland Cabin
119 Isabel Brander 29 F Wife England Scotland Cabin

Isabella was living in Macduff Banff in 1878 ,her husband who had been a banker in Madras before coming back to Macduff had gone to Hong Kong where he died in Jan 1878 so he must of gone some time between 1876-1877 , I now have his will and have got this info from it, Isabella is named as his Widow.
It would seem then that she went back to Madras after her husband died as she became inspectress of Schools in Madras 1880.
She also went to America on several occasions.
It would be interesting to find out about her brother Alexander who went to America also find out what happened to her other brother Arthur Finlayson Bain I know that her other brother Henry Washington Bain died 1865 in and is buried in a common grave at Kensal Green all Souls on 26th June 1865.
Her mother Matilda is buried at At All Souls Cemetery Kensal Green in the Greatrex Family plot Matilda's first husband is also buried in Kensal green but they are not together the child Caroline from that marriage died in Hastings in 1860 if I remember rightly she is buried with Matilda.

scotsannie
28-Dec-12, 18:30
Tiffers,
Thank you so much for the above information. I had Henry's death, but didn't know that Caroline had died young. I am still trying to find info on Arthur,so if I find anything will let you know. Are you related to the family?. I did find Isabella and James on the Scythia. Thank you once again.

tiffers
28-Dec-12, 19:15
Scotsannie,
Alexaner Bain was the brother of my husbands 2x Great Grandfather George Bain. The Greatrex connection is Matilda's Sister Mary Ann who married John Greatrex. Matildas other two sisters were married to John Finlaison at least one of them was married to him , there is a bit of confusion on that, as both sisters were named as his wife, so havent relly researched that to much. Yes I have come up against a brick wall where Arthur is concerned also Alexander. I do Have a photograph of Isabella Branter in her later years and if you want a copy pm me and I will send you my email.

scotsannie
28-Dec-12, 21:40
Tiffers, Have sent you a pm. Thanks