PDA

View Full Version : memories, memories, memories

katarina
09-Feb-05, 18:52
Talking of the boaties on wick river and skating there in the winter on another thread made me think - there must be so many more memories we can share here. Like learning to swim in the north sea.
Does anyone remember the Cedar Cafe? I had an arguement with some one the other day about its existence!!!! Did I get the name wrong? It was on High street - but exact location escapes me - seemed to be where the chinese take away is, or maybe the music shop -- any helpers?

skydivvy
10-Feb-05, 11:42
Did the cafe have a a juke box?

Fifi
10-Feb-05, 11:53
I remember a cafe on the corner where the music shop is now (run by Cardosi's?) but can't remember the name of it. It must have shut down about 20 years (!) ago now? Can't recall much about the interior either but don't think it had a jukebox.

There was also a cafe called Jasmine's where the Chinese takeaway is now - it definitely did not have a jukebox as it was favoured by the old wifie brigade for the home baking!

JammyDodger69
10-Feb-05, 12:05
Anyone mind of the Tasty Bite in Thurso?

Used to be where Empire Chinese is now..

Think one of the women that worked there now works in Bews Newsagents?

I was a wee bairn when my mum used to take me there, vaguely remember something about warm orange juice???

katarina
10-Feb-05, 13:04
I remember a cafe on the corner where the music shop is now (run by Cardosi's?) but can't remember the name of it. It must have shut down about 20 years (!) ago now? Can't recall much about the interior either but don't think it had a jukebox.

There was also a cafe called Jasmine's where the Chinese takeaway is now - it definitely did not have a jukebox as it was favoured by the old wifie brigade for the home baking!

I remember Cardosie's and Jasmines. The cedar was before Jasmine's but I think Cardosie's was there from the year dot. You can tell us Elsie - Are you out there?
If anyone remembers the wick boaties, they have to remember the cafe. Or maybe i was dreaming'''''

10-Feb-05, 14:52
Peter Cardosis cafe - think it was called the John O'Groat Cafe - had a fancy sand-blasted door.
Elsie used to work behind the counter.
We used to have lunch there nearly every day when I went ( infrequently ) to the High School.
I remember "hot rums" - rum flavouring with hot water...... and hot pies & pastries.

katarina
10-Feb-05, 18:24
I think the cedar cafe was owned by Fehilly from Thurso. Ring any bells?

doreenhedgehog
10-Feb-05, 19:10
The Tasty Bite was my regular place for lunch when I was at the High School. They used to water down the tomato sauce with vinegar (allegedly) , and I loved it! Hot Johnstons Pie and chips with sauce.Mmmmm!