PDA

View Full Version : Caithness, Which Part?

PeteSeeker
24-Dec-12, 21:34
We recently relocated to the North of Scotland after years around the world in the oil, renting in Cawdor whilst we look for a permanent home. Caithness is one of our desired locations, but we haven't really explored enough to know where exactly. Looking for a rural location, anything less than an hour from town is fine, (so that covers all of the county, and most of Sutherland). So far we have been looking at something by the sea, so if anyone has any suggestions please advise. Prefer to buy something old with some land. Merry Christmas everyone!

Southern-Gal
24-Dec-12, 21:59
Tam on here has an absolutely stunning plot for sale with land and planning. A better view you will never find!

PeteSeeker
24-Dec-12, 23:43
Where is that?

Westsider3
25-Dec-12, 00:23
Dalmore House in Dunnet is for sale, it has stunning views and is an amazing house! well worth a look!

PeteSeeker
25-Dec-12, 10:17
We went to Dunnet, and though there are some old houses the place seems to be chock full of very new houses too! It had the feeling of a suburb. That is about 50% more than we have anyway, and it has no land! :)

Southern-Gal
25-Dec-12, 10:55
Tams plot is near Canisbay looking down to Stroma.
http://www.caithness-business.co.uk/business.php?id=2187

PeteSeeker
26-Dec-12, 16:51
Thanks for that. Will try to arrange a look on our next recce.

billmoseley
26-Dec-12, 17:07
try looking out Bettyhill way old houses and a great community spirit

catran
26-Dec-12, 21:04
Helmsdale village got a good community spirit

annemarie482
26-Dec-12, 21:10
What's your budget? Theres a place in keiss for sale with land :)

ywindythesecond
27-Dec-12, 00:38
Does it matter to you if you are in sight of a windfarm?

secrets in symmetry
27-Dec-12, 02:33
Dalmore House in Dunnet is for sale, it has stunning views and is an amazing house! well worth a look!Dalmore House may have stunning views, and it looks good downstairs, but (like so many modern houses in Caithness) the sloping ceilings in the upstairs bedrooms and bathrooms make it feel like a (rather large) tent.

Why are there so few proper two-storey modern houses in the county? Is this due to the builders, the clients, the weather, or the planning regulations?

Southern-Gal
27-Dec-12, 10:47
I thought they kept the profile and shape of the houses as low and aerodynamic as possible to prevent the wind ripping the roofs off?

annemarie482
27-Dec-12, 11:09
Has to be relatively in fitting with the surroundings, we could have had an upstairs in our roof, but not a proper second floor as there's nothing similar near us and it'd "look out of place" yet some folk manage to get planning for them :s

davem
27-Dec-12, 11:23
It's asymmetry that's the problem eh? I like sloping ceilings ;)

secrets in symmetry
27-Dec-12, 14:28
Has to be relatively in fitting with the surroundings, we could have had an upstairs in our roof, but not a proper second floor as there's nothing similar near us and it'd "look out of place" yet some folk manage to get planning for them :sI feared that might be one answer....

It's asymmetry that's the problem eh? I like sloping ceilings ;)Rooms with some sloping walls and ceilings can be closer to spheres (and hence be more symmetrical) than those with only vertical and horizontal ones. :cool:

Seriously though, I wouldn't buy a five-bedroomed house with sloping ceilings like that one has. The bedrooms feel cramped to me.

Spud
27-Dec-12, 19:08
I have sent you a PM.

Albertz
28-Dec-12, 17:43
I'm not usually one to reply to comments on the forum, but as the "tent" being discussed by the experts belongs to me (and was designed by me) I thought I should respond in defence of my house and to clear a few uncertainties. It may not be obvious from the advert but there is up to 1.75 acres for sale along with Dalmore House, this land includes a building plot with outline planning permission for a 1.5 storey house. Please feel free to contact me with a PM for further details.

The 1.5 storey format works very well and is very good utilisation of 'wasted' loft space and was our preference. I appreciate that the sloping ceilings may not be to everyone's taste, however the pitch of the roof is intentionally set at a steep 50 degrees, rather than the more common 45 degrees or even 40 degrees. This makes the slopes much steeper meaning that the space is much more useable and less "cramped". The house is around 300 square metres, so I would suggest that the rooms are spacious enough (see the room sizes in the schedule and compare to others). I suppose it depends what you are used to!

The house is on the market to be sold, viewings are recommended where you can make an informed decision for yourself, not based on the questionable comments of an anonymous keyboard warrior! The room sizes are all listed along with a specification that is way higher than standard. The views from the house also need to be witnessed first hand. Photographs rarely do a house justice and certainly don't do Dalmore House justice - but i am clearly biased!

Anyway, for the original poster, best of luck with the house/land hunting.

Slickly
28-Dec-12, 17:52
viewings are recommended Are there ever any houses for sale for which viewing is NOT recommended ?

secrets in symmetry
28-Dec-12, 19:34
I wouldn't recommend viewing it for the simple reason that I wouldn't buy it myself. Doing so would be hypocritical.

I don't like sloping walls and ceilings in small houses (where they are often money or space savers), but I really dislike them in large houses - however much the owner of a certain house stamps his (or her) feet in defence of his (or her) own personal taste....

Others may love the house, I dislike it - and that's it!

Southern-Gal
28-Dec-12, 19:44
I like them! I see them as individual, quirky and original :) Much more interesting than a bog standard box with no character.
Each to their own I suppose but that big house looks like a beautiful home to me.

PeteSeeker
29-Dec-12, 21:48
Delighted to say we have made a provisional agreement for a beautiful old Sutherland farm. Thankyou all! :)

theoneandonlyagain
31-Dec-12, 12:42
Hi if u don't get the place in Sutherland my neighbor has land with derelict building approx 10 acres for sale can contact them on 01593721845

harry sox
31-Dec-12, 13:22
I have property for sale with outline planning permission if of interest, in the rural area of Roster. Approx. 11acres with an extra piece if required.

katarina
31-Dec-12, 14:17
did you have a look at the property for sale ads?