PDA

View Full Version : well what do u think

kev
09-Feb-05, 15:37
What do u think of Ellen Macarther in her around the world trip shes a brave girl!!!!! :D

trinkie
09-Feb-05, 17:47
Yes, I agree with you she is a brave girl.

Many Congratulations to her and the people who supported her during the long arduous voyage.
Well done indeed !

SD

DrSzin
09-Feb-05, 18:06
A brave girl? I think that's a bit of an understatement, so say the least...

I have been following Ellen's adventure since the beginning. She has shown bravery, courage, resilience, endurance and outstanding skill. She must have great strength -- both of body and mind. A truly outstanding achievement! I am a big fan.

~~Tides~~
09-Feb-05, 18:20
70 days of less that an hour of sleep at a time. Is this girl human?

Is she getting a Damehood or has she already got it?

Dali
09-Feb-05, 20:35
Maybe it is just me ?
But What makes her a hero ? She has not saved anybodys life or invented anythng to save world hunger .
She has gone sailing ,Many fishermen up here risk there lives to get fresh fish but are they classed as hero's no .
What is she getting a damehood for ?
Granted she is brave and adventurouse ,But as far as skillfull goes i am not to sure. As her boat is set to autopilot most of the time, she has satalite navigation all she has to do is change the sails .
There are many more people out there who do many things to help the world and get no recognition .

09-Feb-05, 20:56
What makes her a hero ?
INSPIRING is what makes her a hero, her determination to succeed shows the reset of us that what may seem impossible isn't, even for a wee slip of a lass. If she's a role model for others to achieve their goals then all praise she gets is deserved.

But as far as skillfull goes i am not to sure
Her previous track record speaks for itself.
The pro sailors aren't bufties in fancy kit, they're seriously fit & skilled individuals.
Sir Robin Knox-Johnston ( the first single-handed circumnavigator ) acknowledged that although it was a different challenge now it was by no means less of a challenge.

If you want proof just watch the telly tonight at 10pm

2little2late
09-Feb-05, 21:35
Maybe it is just me ?
But What makes her a hero ? She has not saved anybodys life or invented anythng to save world hunger .

From askoxford.com
hero

• noun (pl. heroes) 1 a person, typically a man, who is admired for their courage or outstanding achievements. 2 the chief male character in a book, play, or film. 3 (in mythology and folklore) a person of superhuman qualities.

— ORIGIN Greek heros.

So, as you can see you do not have to save a life, invent anything to save world hunger.
To be corrected she is actually a heroine.

Quote, again from askoxford,com
heroine

• noun 1 a woman admired for her courage or outstanding achievements. 2 the chief female character in a book, play, or film.

Rheghead
09-Feb-05, 22:13
Maybe it is just me ?

It seems it is...

Dali
09-Feb-05, 22:18
Seems it is .
Everyone else seems amazed at person sailing .
Risking her own life and if anything went wrong the life of others to save her .

Rheghead
09-Feb-05, 22:21
I suppose we should all stay at home and watch telly then, nobody need save us from that.

Dali
09-Feb-05, 22:34
If you like ,Myself i like to do many things .

Whitewater
10-Feb-05, 00:00
We can all sail. Thats not the point. It took great courage, fortitude and strength of character to achieve a world record, alone for over 70 days.
I'm afraid that I and many others would have been banging our heads of the wall after a week our two had we been forced into a similar situation.

I also followed her progress, she was absolutely brilliant and I like many others take off my hat to her.

mareng
10-Feb-05, 08:08
I wonder if she has inspired anyone? What are they "inspired" to do?

They used to say that the band "U2" inspired a generation of Irish, but I never did discover what they were inspired to do.

I would say it was less of an achievement than attempts prior to satellite navigation and comunication (and modern materials and construction techniques)

10-Feb-05, 13:47
What are they "inspired" to do?
Well, obviously, for a start, make discussion in this forum....... :D
....and then there's the BIGGER PICTURE which is more of an interpersonal issue.

They used to say that the band "U2" inspired a generation of Irish, but I never did discover what they were inspired to do.
Should've looked closer then - U2 are a massive cultural & social influence in both Northern & Southern Ireland, and for Irish exiles the world over. Sure if Bono & Edge & Adam & Larry can do it then WE CAN DO IT TOO.
That's inspiration.

Buzz
10-Feb-05, 19:59
I think she is no hero at all she is just doing what a man has done before her!

mareng
10-Feb-05, 21:24
What are they "inspired" to do?
Well, obviously, for a start, make discussion in this forum....... :D
....and then there's the BIGGER PICTURE which is more of an interpersonal issue.

Should've looked closer then - U2 are a massive cultural & social influence in both Northern & Southern Ireland, and for Irish exiles the world over. Sure if Bono & Edge & Adam & Larry can do it then WE CAN DO IT TOO.
That's inspiration.

So - they spawned a generation of bands? They influenced parents to name their children with the same names? Sorry - people liked the music, bought it, end of story.

Similarly - I can't see Ms Mcarther inspiring anyone to do anything, least of all - join the local sailing club - I think it is a solitary passtime that will only appeal to a limited number of established sailors.

(Can you just see it in the Courier - " ....... little boy named "Bono", mother and son both fine - grateful thanks to all hospital staff") Brilliant! :evil

squidge
11-Feb-05, 00:31
its about the achievment of dreams.

Its not about naming children or even joining a sailing club.

Its about realising that you can be who you want to be in life regardelss of where you come from and who you are. Its about realising that there is a big wide world out there where you can follow a dream and it can become a reality - through hard work, dilligence and maybe a little luck too. its about reaching for the stars and getting there - getting your hearts desire, living your dream, reaching out for the unattainable and finding you CAN achieve it after all
and get the recognition that hardwork and dedication deserves.

We should all be pointing our children at this woman and others like her and saying - look at that she saw what she wanted and she made it happen - you can do the same thing"

Whitewater
11-Feb-05, 10:03
Hmmm!!!! Yes buzz, but she has done it better !!!

doreenhedgehog
11-Feb-05, 11:10
Great achievement, which will be beaten time and time again as technology moves on. However I do think it's been totally overdone in the media.

Sport for the rich. Zzzzzzz.

kani
11-Feb-05, 13:41
sport for the rich indeed, how many heroes are set to gain aprox £5 million from sponsorship deals etc. Doesn't the boat get a gong as well......Dame B&Q.......
Is this the same as the new Airbus plane capable of carrying 800 people deserve a gong for carrying more people faster and further than any other plane.