PDA

View Full Version : The Disappearing Thread

Slickly
21-Dec-12, 13:17
What became of the thread warning of a vacuum cleaner repair scam. Has the threat of being scammed suddenly subsided? Or was it something that was said?I appreciate we are all guests here and this site is Mr Fernie's ball and he can play with it how he wishes, but a brief explanation might be helpful if only to ensure that the lines of editorial policy and political agenda are not blurred.

changilass
21-Dec-12, 14:09
Would that not have been better put in a pm.

Do you really think that admin have time to read every thread, especially at this time of year, when even they get into the christmas spirit and are busier than usual.

Just my opinion.

M Swanson
21-Dec-12, 14:14
I'm not surprised that the thread was locked. The OP wrote a very thoughtful, well-intentioned message, in the interests of all. It only takes one to try and turn it into an argument and make mischief. Shame on them! Hope this thread is closed soon too! :mad:

Bill Fernie
21-Dec-12, 18:00
What became of the thread warning of a vacuum cleaner repair scam. Has the threat of being scammed suddenly subsided? Or was it something that was said?I appreciate we are all guests here and this site is Mr Fernie's ball and he can play with it how he wishes, but a brief explanation might be helpful if only to ensure that the lines of editorial policy and political agenda are not blurred.

The previous thread was put up in good faith to try and warn people here that we had received a call that I thought could be a scam. I deliberately did not mention the name of the company as there could be bonafide companies engaged in the work. I posted a warning to alert people to be careful about unsolicited calls that might lead to problems as they are often they way in from scammers. However as the very next poster said they had no problems after having used the services of a company for a Dyson I decided to remove the thread and do more research. This I have now done by contacting Trading Standards in Inverness. They have noted my concerns for now and give out the advice that anyone should be wary of cold callers as they may have other motives than just to carry out the work they said and might try to sell other things such as parts etc. You do not have a chance to check out prices etc.

I then asked if they had any advice available so that others could be aware of scams and they have indeed recently issued a newsletter on scammers and I am placing the link below.

I fail to see what you are getting at with political agenda and editorial policy being blurred. The only policy I have is to try and deliver a place where many services can be offered and to protect members of the public from anything that would harm them or be to their detriment. Your previous reference to the heating scheme seems out of place in this context but can only think you are referring to your previous derogatory comments on threads under other names on here.

The newsletter on scammers from Trading Standards is at http://www.caithness-business.co.uk/article.php?id=3653

Slickly
21-Dec-12, 18:33
Your previous reference to the heating scheme seems out of place in this context but can only think you are referring to your previous derogatory comments on threads under other names on here.I was making the analogy that people in Wick were cold called, allegedly with Council's approval, to try to get them to sign up to a heating system that failed to deliver - some of those people who signed on the line were significantly out of pocket. If I am wrong in any of that then I'm happy to stand corrected.

Bill Fernie
21-Dec-12, 20:37
I think you are confusing two different topics. You analogy does not seem to fit. People who spoke to me all wanted to keep the heating hot water set up. The customers all had heating and hot water throughout the sad saga. The council depended on advice that turned out to be not good but has honoured its commitment to making sure heating and hot water continued to be supplied.

But how does that answer the problem of cold calling and how we on here help tell people if we suspect it might be happening to Caithness and the Highlands. I have found some answers but I can only do so much. I hope that Trading Standards gets all the support they need from the public to spread the word on cold calling.

Slickly
21-Dec-12, 23:37
I think you are confusing two different topics. You analogy does not seem to fit. People who spoke to me all wanted to keep the heating hot water set up. The customers all had heating and hot water throughout the sad saga. The council depended on advice that turned out to be not good but has honoured its commitment to making sure heating and hot water continued to be supplied.

Fair enough - thanks for taking the time to make a measured reply.

Slickly
22-Dec-12, 22:18
The council depended on advice that turned out to be not goodUpon reflection, this is quite an interesting little nugget. Tell me, did the Council therefore seek redress in some form from those whom it contracted to provide that flawed advice?

secrets in symmetry
22-Dec-12, 22:37
I fail to see what you are getting at with political agenda and editorial policy being blurred.In the immortal words of John McEnroe, "You cannot be serious!"

Seriously, you must surely see what Slickly is implying. Perhaps you don't see it as important, but that is a separate issue....

gleeber
22-Dec-12, 23:03
Upon reflection, this is quite an interesting little nugget. Tell me, did the Council therefore seek redress in some form from those whom it contracted to provide that flawed advice?

In the immortal words of John McEnroe, "You cannot be serious!"

Seriously, you must surely see what Slickly is implying. Perhaps you don't see it as important, but that is a separate issue....
I dont think its fair to bring local politics onto the org unless all local councillors were prepared to stick their necks out and show us what they think. Bills done more than most but he's on a hiding to nothing. He doesnt need me to stand up for him but Im giving my opinion anyway.
It would be excellent if we could interact with our local politicians, but can you imagine? The orgs like the commons without a speaker. Its a pity though because it could be so democratic. Things like the Wick heating scheme could have been discussed whilst they were developing. It would have made the final decision much more transparent although Im not suggesating there was anything shady in it either. :roll:

secrets in symmetry
23-Dec-12, 00:20
You're waffling around Slickly's point gleeber. This is a matter of principle, not one of a heating system in Wick.

Your suggestion of holding a democratic public discussion on a public hot potato is a good one. However, if I am reading Slickly's post correctly, he is suggesting that there are issues whenever a local politician has editorial control over the discussion.

In my opinion, Slickly is absolutely correct.

Slickly
23-Dec-12, 10:23
You're waffling around Slickly's point gleeber. This is a matter of principle, not one of a heating system in Wick.Your suggestion of holding a democratic public discussion on a public hot potato is a good one. However, if I am reading Slickly's post correctly, he is suggesting that there are issues whenever a local politician has editorial control over the discussion.In my opinion, Slickly is absolutely correct.For the avoidance of doubt, before people starting reading between the lines and seeing things only they think exist, the situation was this......In the original thread, I had made a passing criticism of the Highland Council. The thread, which was started by Mr Fernie, then disappeared. My concern was that its removal was due to that comment. However Mr Fernie has subsequently taken the time to, in my view, satisfactorily clarify why he removed the thread and that it was not due to political discomfort. The simpler and more obvious thing to have done would have been to simply post a "hold on while I check" comment.The more unfathomable question in all of it though is, why on earth would anyone need to get their hoover serviced regularly? It's a vacuum cleaner for goodness sake. Just empty it!?

Slickly
23-Dec-12, 11:15
A quick note on a possible scam concerning vacuum cleaners.A few day ago I took a telephone call from someone who launched into a spiel about my Dyson vacuum being due for servicing etc., etc. I just sighed deeply and politely told him to go away and that I didn't own a Dyson. He didn't even say goodbye......I am aware that I am naming a company here but if it was a genuine call from them; they need to train their staff a tad better and if it was a scam the Dyson company and Dyson owners need to know about it.P.S. "politely told him to go away" is not a euphemism. Uh oh. Groundhog Day.

Torvaig
23-Dec-12, 11:35
Pax, only trying to be helpful but not up for an argument! I have deleted my original post.......

secrets in symmetry
23-Dec-12, 16:01
For the avoidance of doubt, before people starting reading between the lines and seeing things only they think exist, the situation was this......In the original thread, I had made a passing criticism of the Highland Council. The thread, which was started by Mr Fernie, then disappeared. My concern was that its removal was due to that comment. However Mr Fernie has subsequently taken the time to, in my view, satisfactorily clarify why he removed the thread and that it was not due to political discomfort. The simpler and more obvious thing to have done would have been to simply post a "hold on while I check" comment.The more unfathomable question in all of it though is, why on earth would anyone need to get their hoover serviced regularly? It's a vacuum cleaner for goodness sake. Just empty it!?Ok, perhaps I should say that I think there's an issue when a politician has editorial control over political threads, and (in particular) threads in which some posters criticise some actions of the Highland Council - especially the actions of the HC administration in which he held a senior post.

Is that better, Slickly?

Slickly
23-Dec-12, 18:23
Is that better, Slickly?Not really, because as far as I am concerned Satan himself can be a moderator of this forum, so long as he sticks to the rules of moderation.

secrets in symmetry
23-Dec-12, 21:20
Not really, because as far as I am concerned Satan himself can be a moderator of this forum, so long as he sticks to the rules of moderation.Lol!

In principle, I agree. In practice, there's little correlation between the published forum rules and what actually happens.