PDA

View Full Version : Reiss shipwreck

zappster
08-Feb-05, 20:07
Whats story behind the old rusty bit o shipwreck at Reiss beach
What was the ships name?
How long has it been there?
Anyone know? :confused
It's Sammitchell7's previous post that got me thinking about it!

moshmosh
08-Feb-05, 20:42
1969 "STAR OF VICTORY". Aberdeen trawler ashore Reiss Bay. Total loss.

1969 "JEAN STEPHEN". Aberdeen trawler ashore Reiss Bay, sheltering drifted ashore when weighing anchor.

That was what I found in the link in that topic.

KitKat
08-Feb-05, 21:07
I may be wrong but I'm sure I remember a wreck there before 1969. Was it maybe a war one? Someone ask Ian Sutherland... He'll know!

katarina
09-Feb-05, 11:40
I first came here as a child in 1959 (Was it really that long ago?) And the the rusty remains were there then, only then most of the ship was still intact. We were warned not to go near it as it was dangerous. I 've never seen any others tho, but someone said there are some remains much further up, near Wester River.

~~Tides~~
09-Feb-05, 17:21
I vaugly know the story. My grandad was in the lifeboat crew that saved all the men on the ship in a mountainous sea. I never actually asked him the story but now he is dead so i would love to know the story.

zappster
09-Feb-05, 19:03
The only info I mind fae when ah wiz a bairn wiz there wiz TREASURE onboard :D
Thanks for the info so far though folks!!
surely someone will Ken the truth aboot ed !!

katarina
10-Feb-05, 10:45
would there wbe anything in the Groat archives? It surely would have been newsworthy when it ran aground.

SAMITCHELL7
11-Feb-05, 23:34
The ship i am looking for was a passenger ship that was heading to Canada in 1819, All lives saved :)

girnigoe
12-Feb-05, 00:23
Speaking of Groat Archives, how do I get access to them? I know I have to go to the library but Im not looking for anything in particular - just fancy having a look at maybe a few certain years. Does anyone know if they do this or do you have to have a reason for looking?

MadPict
12-Feb-05, 15:19
I first came here as a child in 1959 (Was it really that long ago?) And the the rusty remains were there then, only then most of the ship was still intact. We were warned not to go near it as it was dangerous. I 've never seen any others tho, but someone said there are some remains much further up, near Wester River.

I also seem to recall it there before 1969 - I used to play around it when we went to the beach.
I think someone once mentioned it was a Coaster that ran aground?

Last time I was on Reiss the tide was way out and I walked up to the wreck - there was some very nice brass pipe fittings exposed. Amazing how the brass has lasted so well - it was shing like gold in the sand.

katarina
12-Feb-05, 15:33
Last time I was on Reiss the tide was way out and I walked up to the wreck - there was some very nice brass pipe fittings exposed. Amazing how the brass has lasted so well - it was shing like gold in the sand.[/quote]

Maybe it is gold!

MadPict
12-Feb-05, 16:05
[lol] Hacksaw and shovel next time instead of bucket and spade!!!