PDA

View Full Version : Help please.....A 'Scam' or Not

Garnet
17-Dec-12, 13:38
I have just received an email requesting that I 'update' and 'verify' my details for my 'Pay-Pal' account and to 'lift my Restrictions'! This email does not use my name just....Dear Pay Pal Client, etc telling me they think my account may be being used fraudulently and to verify details. Now I'm sure I read somewhere on here that Pay-Pal do not do this and also use your name not 'Client' can anyone helpmeon this as I've had my card details compromised once before, so please if you can advise me I'd be ever so grateful. :confused:

davem
17-Dec-12, 13:54
If you think its a scam don't.
I think this sounds dodgy.
They address to you and you only use details logging in - just forward it to spoof@paypal.com - I think thats their address to check dodgy mail then delete it.
Cheers Dave

_Ju_
17-Dec-12, 13:59
Do NOT use the link you have been sent. Go to paypal ( www.paypal.co.uk ) where you can get a security number and give them a call.

pat
17-Dec-12, 16:52
Do not reply or click on the link at all.

If paypal contact you they will give you the full name you logged in with in the email, NEVER follow any links in any email.

Garnet
17-Dec-12, 17:00
Thank you both I will contact Pay Pal immediately and then send it to the spoof dept, it's a great weight off my mind so many thanks again. Garnet.

richardj
17-Dec-12, 18:25
Definately a scam - if you hover your mouse over the "PayPal" link you will see the actual address is nothing like PayPal ... it is all part of the same type of e-mail - update your bank details etc

A useful article on the BBC website http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-20717773

Never respond to any e-mail requesting information or for you to update bank or login details - they are always a scam

George Brims
17-Dec-12, 21:44
Thank you both I will contact Pay Pal immediately and then send it to the spoof dept, it's a great weight off my mind so many thanks again. Garnet.
Forward the email to spoof@paypal.com.

Garnet
18-Dec-12, 01:18
Again thank you all, I've forwarded it to spoof@paypal.co.uk so hopefully I've done it right and paypal site now says to delete email which I'll do. Regards to you all for your help. G