PDA

View Full Version : What should I do? Ebay help?

pirateeye
15-Dec-12, 19:43
After a bit of advice...Though I understand if you have no time to read my thread ;)

In November I bought a pair of safety shoes for my work from ebay...they arrived and were huge on me, even though I bought the correct size 6. I contacted the seller who agreed to give a full refund if I returned the shoes in original packaging...Great I thought.
I needed reminded what the original packaging was, which I asked the seller, as I had received a few parcels in those couple of weeks. (I keep all packaging I get) The seller told me to chuck the black shrink wrap but just send the shoes in the box they came...This reminded me how I received the shoes as my friend as I thought how unprofessional it was having new shoes so tightly wrapped...WITHOUT a BOX!! So I told the seller the shoes definitely did not come with a box and that I will return them in the black shrink wrap they had arrived in.
I got a reply saying they had checked their sales record and it showed I had received a box with the shoes and that because I had bought the shoes on a clearance, their would be no refund.

I checked my sales record as such, by clicking on the link "see the item you purchased" ebay provides and it confirmed my side, that there was NO clearance and these shoes were new without box. I told this to the seller and posted the shoes back recorded delivery. The next e-mail I received I was told the person who made the listing made an error and I was entitled to a refund.

I eventually, after opening a case on ebay, received a refund of £12.70 (even though I paid £19.90 in total) and I was told I would not receive the rest (ebay fees as I was told) unless I contacted them! I emailed back and said I am legally entitled to a full refund and am not responsible for their fees.

I was then told I will only receive the rest of my money, plus the £6.55 I paid to return the shoes, when I leave positive feedback. I told the seller the experience so far had been everything but positive and they were to refund the £13.75 they still owed me...I never received a reply...

I e-mailed ebay about the problem as I couldn't reopen the case that was closed because it had been refunded, all be it partially. I never heard back from ebay...

I managed to find a way of opening a new case under a different category and it is giving the seller up to the 17th to respond.

What I want to know is where do I go from here? What if the seller doesn't refund me by the 17th? Do I just accept that this seller has gotten away with this poor service and stealing my money?

Your suggestions will be gratefully received. Please don't think I am being picky about the amount of £13.75. I am quite sure no one out there would willingly throw £13.75 in the river.............

M Swanson
15-Dec-12, 19:59
Hi Pirate,

Sorry to read of your problem. May I ask how you paid for the shoes? If it was via Paypal, did you put in for a chargeback, for the goods not being as described? If so, then I'm surprised that you weren't given a full refund for the goods and sometimes they will also take the money from the seller's account to reimburse the return parcel fees. It's not mandatory for a seller to comply, but a good business will not quibble. If you paid by credit card, then you could have rung your bank and explained the situation and they would probably have reimbursed you. It happened to me once. Once you accept even a partial refund, eBay will close the dispute and as far as I know, won't review it again. I'm not sure that's still the case, but if you go to the eBay front page and click on Answer Centre, there are some very knowledgeable folks who will give you expert advice. They're not staff and I found them invaluable when I ran an eBay business. I never pay for any purchases, except by Paypal. They nearly always find in favour of the buyer. Hope this helps.

pirateeye
15-Dec-12, 20:10
Thank you for your reply, yes I did pay with paypal.
The case closed automatically because it is registering as a refund. The seller said in one of their emails that they would refund the return postage because even though the shoes were a size 6 and I bought a size 6, the actual shoes are more like a 7 or an 8.
How do I contact paypal to hopefully receive a refund?

Alrock
15-Dec-12, 20:12
....I am quite sure no one out there would willingly throw £13.75 in the river.............

But... If they dropped £13.75 accidentally in the river how many would jump in after it?

M Swanson
15-Dec-12, 20:17
I'm not sure that you can now apply to Paypal, but if you put this question to those in the Answer Centre, they will certainly give you very sound advice, Pirate. They're usually very quick to reply - often within minutes. A/C is on eBay's front page; on the top right hand-side you'll find Community. Click and select Answer Centre from the scroll down menu. That's where it used to be and I certainly would give it a try. The money you lost is important, of course, but there's always the principle of the thing. Definitely don't consider giving them a positive, because it can be a trump card. There is a time limit in which you must open a new case, (Paypal perhaps,) so that would need to be borne in mind. Good luck to you. Hopefully, we'll hear that all has been resolved to your satisfaction.

pirateeye
15-Dec-12, 20:17
But... If they dropped £13.75 accidentally in the river how many would jump in after it?

Are you saying you would let a seller off with not refunding you because you're afraid of some 'cold dirty water'?

Kodiak
16-Dec-12, 00:01
Contact eBay Customer Services at once. Advice them that the seller is trying to Blackmail you into leaving Positive Feedback. This is against eBay Rules.

Send to them a copy of the e-mail that they sent to you as proof. Also ask eBay Customer Services to help you in getting you money back.

poppett
17-Dec-12, 13:44
Kodiak is quite correct, go up the line to the next complaints procedure. Also if your paypal account is linked to a credit card the credit card company will take this up too if no success with Ebay.

pirateeye
19-Dec-12, 22:06
HAHA I had to escalate it, customer support ruled in my favor and forced the seller to give me a refund. I then left a negative feedback on their account as in my opinion is highly appropriate then got a message from the seller saying if I take back the negative feedback, they will refund me the money I spent returning the shoes.
Quite funny, made me laugh!

M Swanson
20-Dec-12, 00:09
Great result Pirate. Good for you! :D