PDA

View Full Version : Help please!

kenimac1
08-Feb-05, 14:20
An English friend of mine has just shown me an advert selling small bits of land at a place called Glencairn, which seemingly gives him the right to call himself 'Laird of Glencairn'.
The place indicated on the map seems to be on the South side of Lybster burn and on the coast.
I was born and brought up in the area and have never heard of Glencairn. Does anyone know anything about this??
I should mention, they are only wanting £30 for this!

EDDIE
08-Feb-05, 14:32
Well you know how the saying goes you dont get nothing for nothing in life
Weres the catch?

Zael
08-Feb-05, 16:01
its a scam (of sorts), they sell you a 1 foot square piece of land and send you the certificate, all for £30. last time i heard this one it was only a tenner, they must have realised that there are more mugs about than previously suspected. :)

Laird simply means landowner so it is all legal and above board but seriously, £30. lol It used to only be Germans that were so sucked in :)

Take the smallholding here for example:

http://www.caithness-business.co.uk/home/property/forsale/details/traditional_smallholding_.htm

16 acres (that cost you £160,000 - not cheap), say keep 1 for yourself, 15 acres is 653402 ish square feet, thats worth £19,602,060 in £30 chunks. You dont need much land and just a few thousand mugs to make a quite few bob.

~~Tides~~
08-Feb-05, 17:50
This is it:

http://www.iwantoneofthose.com/LAILAD_KITS.htm

So if you own the land of your house can you call your self 'Laird'?

kenimac1
08-Feb-05, 17:58
But is there actually a place called Glencairn, cos I don't recall it??

~~Tides~~
08-Feb-05, 18:01
There wont be, just some Scottish sounding name that someone though up. There are no 'glens' behind Lybster.

fred
08-Feb-05, 18:32
This is it:

http://www.iwantoneofthose.com/LAILAD_KITS.htm

So if you own the land of your house can you call your self 'Laird'?

You can call your self 'Laird' even if you don't own any land just so long as you are not
doing it to defraud anyone.

What you can't do is call yourself 'The Laird', that is reserved for the person who owns
the seat of an estate. The seat used to be a lump of stone, either a door step or a hearth
stone but I think nowadays it just refers to the main house.

mareng
08-Feb-05, 21:31
I could understand if you were offered the whole of Halkirk for £30..............

........... But not if you had bought it! :evil

Fran
09-Feb-05, 02:10
:) I was given one of these as a gift but for a sifferent area. Mine is Loch Borralan Estate, north of Ullapool, in the county of Inverness. I can legally call myself Lady ? of Loch Borralan or the Honourable fran ?. I have a certificate of land deeds even though I only own one square foot of land on the estate. According to a solicitor friend of mine I can call myself these titles. Maybe i should drop the "Fran" on here and be lady fran!!!!See www.regencytitles.com

DannyThe Manny
09-Feb-05, 20:25
I know someone who has a piece of turf from Wembley in his garden. Does he qualify as Laird of Wembley, or would the turf need to still be attached to the ground it came from?