PDA

View Full Version : service pack 2

Mr P Cannop
22-Dec-06, 17:47
i have downloaded this on my other pc but its not showing up on the add or removed progs ??

kwbrown111
22-Dec-06, 18:49
It should show up there but another way to check if it has installed is to go to Control Panel/system then it should say Windows XP Service Pack 2 On general page

Mr P Cannop
22-Dec-06, 20:14
i seen some thing saying sp2 but not sure

blueivy
22-Dec-06, 20:39
i seen some thing saying sp2 but not sure

If it's not showing in Add/Remove Programs you've not installed it. Check Start->Settings->Control Panel->System and see what it says there under System:

Mr P Cannop
22-Dec-06, 21:07
do you know how to do it so it show up in the add and remove progs ??

Mr P Cannop
22-Dec-06, 23:45
does any one have a cd for a lend ??

blueivy
23-Dec-06, 12:50
do you know how to do it so it show up in the add and remove progs ??

Paul,

If you've downloaded the service pack then just install it.

The best way to determine what patches you need is to go to Windows Update (http://www.windowsupdate.com) and go through the steps. That will tell you what patches, service packs or even drivers are available to download that will bring your machine up to date.

Mr P Cannop
23-Dec-06, 17:30
it says i have got on pc number 2 but yet its not showing up

blueivy
23-Dec-06, 17:52
it says i have got on pc number 2 but yet its not showing up

Paul,

Why do you need it to show up in Add/Remove Programs? Surely if it's installed that's enough?

If you want to make sure you've got it installed, download and install it again from the Microsoft (http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/sp2/default.mspx) website.

Mr P Cannop
23-Dec-06, 19:52
how do i know if its on pc number 2 ??

blueivy
23-Dec-06, 20:08
how do i know if its on pc number 2 ??

Paul,

It's exactly the same process as you did for PC number 1.

If in doubt, install it again. It won;t do any harm.

Mr P Cannop
23-Dec-06, 20:11
does not come up the same as pc 1 ??

whats it meant to say once its on ??

blueivy
23-Dec-06, 20:13
does not come up the same as pc 1 ??

whats it meant to say once its on ??

What does it come up with that males it different?

It's meant to say Windows XP Service Pack 2 (usually right at the bottom of Add/Remove Programs).

As I said, if in any doubt just install it again. Then you'll know it's installed. It can be installed once, twice or a thousand times it doesn't matter.

If in doubt, install it again ...

Mr P Cannop
23-Dec-06, 20:51
What does it come up with that males it different?

It's meant to say Windows XP Service Pack 2 (usually right at the bottom of Add/Remove Programs).

As I said, if in any doubt just install it again. Then you'll know it's installed. It can be installed once, twice or a thousand times it doesn't matter.

If in doubt, install it again ...

Windows XP Service Pack 2 its not there am i doing anything wrong ?? why is it not there ??

blueivy
23-Dec-06, 20:52
Windows XP Service Pack 2 its not there am i doing anything wrong ?? why is it not there ??

Have you installed it? If you haven't or don't know if you have then that's why it's not there. When you install it it will appear.

Mr P Cannop
23-Dec-06, 21:12
ok thanks will let you know how i get on with it

Mr P Cannop
23-Dec-06, 21:41
its still not showing

Stumurf
24-Dec-06, 15:00
if you click your right mouse button on the "my computer" icon and select the "properties" option.. on the right hand side of the dialouge box that appears under the header "system" does it state service pack 2? if so ts installed...

if its installed and not showing in add and remove.. heres 1 way that can happen..

if the install files (usually in the C:/Windows/ folder and then in hidden directories with nonsensical names right at the start of the directory listings) have been deleted as they are huge files and only used once, its possible to remove the option to uninstal it. but the following would have to had happened

if someone was to then to try and remove service pack 2 using the add and remove screen it would fail (as the uninstaller would have been deleted) and it will then be removed from the list.

The progam will still be installed on your machine and work properly there will just be no option to uninstal it.

as long as your system states that its installed your ok, in my opinion its better to then delete al the install files as they will just be wasting a huge amount of space on your hard drive, and the files can always be accessed online from the microsoft website, if you ever need to install them again.

i hope this doesnt confuse the matter too much... i can kind of understand why you want to see the program listed but its not essential that it is for it to work properly.

Mr P Cannop
24-Dec-06, 16:43
if you click your right mouse button on the "my computer" icon and select the "properties" option.. on the right hand side of the dialouge box that appears under the header "system" does it state service pack 2? if so ts installed...

if its installed and not showing in add and remove.. heres 1 way that can happen..

if the install files (usually in the C:/Windows/ folder and then in hidden directories with nonsensical names right at the start of the directory listings) have been deleted as they are huge files and only used once, its possible to remove the option to uninstal it. but the following would have to had happened

if someone was to then to try and remove service pack 2 using the add and remove screen it would fail (as the uninstaller would have been deleted) and it will then be removed from the list.

The progam will still be installed on your machine and work properly there will just be no option to uninstal it.

as long as your system states that its installed your ok, in my opinion its better to then delete al the install files as they will just be wasting a huge amount of space on your hard drive, and the files can always be accessed online from the microsoft website, if you ever need to install them again.

i hope this doesnt confuse the matter too much... i can kind of understand why you want to see the program listed but its not essential that it is for it to work properly.

aye its there thanks for your help and time and sorry for all the probs

Mr P Cannop
24-Dec-06, 16:45
Have you installed it? If you haven't or don't know if you have then that's why it's not there. When you install it it will appear.

thnaks for your help and time and sorry for any probs