PDA

View Full Version : Alexander Sinclair of Stroma

Pamela Pittard
14-Dec-12, 06:17
This is my first visit to this site so l hope someone reading this may be able to help. I am interested in making contact with any descendants or family of William Sinclair born 1753 and Elspeth Kennedy born 1766-both from the Island of Stroma. I am told their son Alexander born 1792 is my 3 X great grandfather. Alexander left Stroma and settled in Tyneside. He married Margaet Cooper in South Shields in 1826 and they had five children-William born 1827, Elizabeth born 1829, Joseph born 1831, Alexander born 1834 and Margaret born 1837. All were born in North Shields. William is my great great grandfather. Alexander(a seaman) is a mystery man as we cannot find where or when he died. His great grand daughter told me he was buried at sea. There is no paper evidence to confirm this. BUT often a family story often does have a grain of truth. Thank you, Pamela Pittard pjpittard@hotmail.com

Tricia
15-Dec-12, 16:00
This is my first visit to this site so l hope someone reading this may be able to help. I am interested in making contact with any descendants or family of William Sinclair born 1753 and Elspeth Kennedy born 1766-both from the Island of Stroma. I am told their son Alexander born 1792 is my 3 X great grandfather. Alexander left Stroma and settled in Tyneside. He married Margaet Cooper in South Shields in 1826 and they had five children-William born 1827, Elizabeth born 1829, Joseph born 1831, Alexander born 1834 and Margaret born 1837. All were born in North Shields. William is my great great grandfather. Alexander(a seaman) is a mystery man as we cannot find where or when he died. His great grand daughter told me he was buried at sea. There is no paper evidence to confirm this. BUT often a family story often does have a grain of truth. Thank you, Pamela Pittard pjpittard@hotmail.com
Pamela - welcome to the site. Hopefully someone can help.
Alex in Tyneside? have you evidence that his parents were William S and Elspet K in Stroma.. ? any clues. Did you find marriage to Margaret Cooper. - was she scottish - any census?

I have just found this and assume it is your William's birth
name: William Cooper
baptism/christening date: 20 Nov 1825
baptism/christening place: CHRIST CHURCH, TYNEMOUTH, NORTHUMBERLAND, ENGLAND
father's name: Alexander Sinclair
mother's name: Margaret
indexing project (batch) number: C15598-5
system origin: England-VR
source film number: 1068907