PDA

View Full Version : Camping on Stroma

secrets in symmetry
14-Dec-12, 01:44
Is it permitted to camp on Stroma?

If so, do you need permission?

If so, from whom should it be sought?

Is there fresh water on Stroma?

What about Swona? Is it permitted to camp there? Etc....

Slickly
14-Dec-12, 08:54

As there's no-one there to see you, you can behave as 'camp' as you like.

The sheep might make fun of you though.

Torvaig
14-Dec-12, 11:33
Have sent you a pm s.i.s.

rich62_uk
14-Dec-12, 11:55
Would really be interested in doing this as well.

Saveman
14-Dec-12, 12:12
Me too! More info please

M Swanson
14-Dec-12, 12:18
So would I, but I fear I'm too old for such an adventure and get terribly seasick. But if I was a hundred years younger .........! :)

Topic
14-Dec-12, 13:01
me too more info please would be appreciated x

katarina
14-Dec-12, 13:08
I'd ask premission if i were you. Have sent you a pm.

Eilanboy
14-Dec-12, 14:45
Think it is owned by Jimmy Simpson so would imagine you will need his permission

Dog-eared
14-Dec-12, 15:47
You could probably hire Jimmy to take you over.

embow
14-Dec-12, 15:53
What about Swona? Is it permitted to camp there? Etc....Forget about Swona. The feral cattle herds will be after you as soon as you get ashore. Nothing like a tasty visitor to attack and go for. ;)

Dadie
14-Dec-12, 16:43
I have been to Stroma twice.
1st time was as a Sunday School trip and Jimmy Simpson took us over and all around the island....with tractor/trailer rides.
Saw in some of the houses etc....
2nd time I kayaked over and back....was too knackered to explore much...plus the tides/currents didnt give much of a time window...quick over and back trip with lots of paddling inbetween!

canuck
14-Dec-12, 18:21

If so, do you need permission?

If so, from whom should it be sought?

Is there fresh water on Stroma?

The Pepsi Challenge may have the knowledge you need.

secrets in symmetry
15-Dec-12, 00:32
Thank you for your responses, everyone. :cool:

In particular, thanks to katarina, and to Torvaig for such a compendium of information.

I don't know how I came up with the idea of going camping on Stroma. I thought it was a madcap scheme, but I'm encouraged by all your responses. Now I have to find someone who shares my madness. :cool:

I have been discouraged from Swona for the first trip - perhaps next time. :cool:

ducati
15-Dec-12, 08:41
I have been to Stroma twice.
1st time was as a Sunday School trip and Jimmy Simpson took us over and all around the island....with tractor/trailer rides.
Saw in some of the houses etc....
2nd time I kayaked over and back....was too knackered to explore much...plus the tides/currents didnt give much of a time window...quick over and back trip with lots of paddling inbetween!

Respect! I wouldn't fancy tackling the crossing in a kayak. I'm nerving myself up to trying it with 55 horsepower in the spring. :lol:

katarina
15-Dec-12, 10:24
There are still a few habitable cottages and one is for hire per night. So you can do it in comfort. Last time I was there the canoe club paddled over from John O'Groats. Brave people!

Kodiak
15-Dec-12, 12:43
You Do need permission to land on Stroma as it is a Privately Owned Island and a Bird Sanctuary. You need to contact either William Simpson or Jimmy Simpson. They live in Canisbay and you can find their Phone Number in the Phone Book.

I also have been to Stroma, I lived there for 7 and a half Years on and off. The only thing I will say is that if you do go there keep clear of the Gloop!

billmoseley
15-Dec-12, 13:44
blimey if everyone goes over that has showed an interest in this so far they will have to open a holiday camp lololol

secrets in symmetry
15-Dec-12, 14:11
There are still a few habitable cottages and one is for hire per night. So you can do it in comfort. Last time I was there the canoe club paddled over from John O'Groats. Brave people!Thanks for the further information katarina.

A cottage would be tempting. :cool:

You Do need permission to land on Stroma as it is a Privately Owned Island and a Bird Sanctuary. You need to contact either William Simpson or Jimmy Simpson. They live in Canisbay and you can find their Phone Number in the Phone Book.

I also have been to Stroma, I lived there for 7 and a half Years on and off. The only thing I will say is that if you do go there keep clear of the Gloop!Thanks Kodiak. I have their numbers from a couple of other members.

Stroma must have felt like a whole continent when compared with Muckle Flugga!

I assume there is fresh water on Stroma. I can see a lochan (or at least a big pond) from aerial photos. I don't suppose there's running water?

Is there a mobile phone signal? (I'm thinking of emergencies, not planning long conversations!)

Moira
15-Dec-12, 23:22
Perhaps you should join Facebook. Just a thought.........

Kodiak
15-Dec-12, 23:52
Thanks for the further information katarina.

Thanks Kodiak. I have their numbers from a couple of other members.

I assume there is fresh water on Stroma. I can see a lochan (or at least a big pond) from aerial photos. I don't suppose there's running water?

Is there a mobile phone signal? (I'm thinking of emergencies, not planning long conversations!)

The water we used was from a well about half way up the island where it was pumped down to the station. Other than that we also collected rain water off the roof.

Mobile Signal. There used to be a very stong Signal all over the island. We were suppled with a Mobile Phone back in 1986, Vodafone, it was like a brick but the signal was good. There was still a goodsignal when I left in 1991 ans I assume there is still a good signal.

secrets in symmetry
16-Dec-12, 16:01
This sounds better all the time. Thanks Kodiak.

Surferbill
17-Dec-12, 23:31

I also have been to Stroma, I lived there for 7 and a half Years on and off. The only thing I will say is that if you do go there keep clear of the Gloop!

http://www.outdooraccess-scotland.com/outdoors-responsibly/your-access-rights/

Although allways nice and polite to ask the landowner for permission and advice you can go and visit and wild camp just about where ever you want in Scotland without permission

Dadie
17-Dec-12, 23:43
The gloop was the best bit of the Suday school trip!
It was amazing to shuffle forward on my stomach to look down into the gloop...but I imagine my parents were scared of our safety, while as kids we thought we were invincible!...it is a definate place to photograph and wonder at....health and safety permitting!
The water was a lovely turquoise blue as far as I remember..that and seeing the scottish primrose in abundance and a scorrie chick defecating on my sister...and puffins .....

katarina
18-Dec-12, 18:52
of course there is running water. there is a resevoir that supplies at least two dwellings - all you have to do is turn on the tap. and there is a mobil reception. Even electricity if you turn on the generator!

catran
18-Dec-12, 21:04
Katarina, you are a wealth of information, do you own one of the cottages and do you let it out as my friends think it would be good to go there for a few days respite

secrets in symmetry
19-Dec-12, 00:27
of course there is running water. there is a resevoir that supplies at least two dwellings - all you have to do is turn on the tap. and there is a mobil reception. Even electricity if you turn on the generator!Running water I'd hoped for, electricity is a pleasant surprise, but I definitely didn't expect a welcome party from an oil company! :cool:

Torvaig
19-Dec-12, 00:50
http://www.outdooraccess-scotland.com/outdoors-responsibly/your-access-rights/

Although allways nice and polite to ask the landowner for permission and advice you can go and visit and wild camp just about where ever you want in Scotland without permission

Ah, but if you ask for permission the owner has time to herd the wild boar into their sheds! ;)

Moira
19-Dec-12, 00:55
Running water I'd hoped for, electricity is a pleasant surprise, but I definitely didn't expect a welcome party from an oil company! :cool:

Since your world will have ended by then, send me you booking number with the owner of Stroma..... Please.....

northener
20-Dec-12, 22:29
Thanks for the further information katarina.

Thanks Kodiak. I have their numbers from a couple of other members.

No really sizeable fresh burn to speak of IIRC, but boiling the water from the lochan should see you right. Moby signal is hit and miss.

secrets in symmetry
22-Dec-12, 18:44
Thank you Northener.

richardj
23-Dec-12, 09:44
If anyone organises a day trip to Stroma then I would love to visit the island in the summer.

secrets in symmetry
24-Dec-12, 18:27
Yes, it has to be summer. I like the idea of spending the longest day (and the shortest night) there in June.

PeteSeeker
24-Dec-12, 21:20
Sounds like it might turn out to be a Caithness version of Lord Of The Flies.

secrets in symmetry
24-Dec-12, 22:36
We Caithness people are much too sophisticated and civilised for that sort of societal decay. Just don't bring Miss Piggy along. :cool:

secrets in symmetry
29-Dec-12, 00:24
Many thanks to all those who've communicated privately. I very much appreciate you taking the time to do so, and I now have all the information I need. I now have to find a few like-minded souls to share the journey.

Dadie
29-Dec-12, 00:46
Count us in ....if there are some amenities..like shelter and running water....and getting off the island!...family of 5 to keep happy!