PDA

View Full Version : Shop at Somerfield

rfr10
22-Dec-06, 13:24
For the next 3 days, do your shopping in Somerfield please!! Beavers, Cubs, Scouts and Explorers are doing annual bag packing but by the look of Somerfield at the moment, it does not look very busy so we're not going to be making much if the number of shoppers doesn't increase.

Thank you :D

gollach
22-Dec-06, 13:52
I guess this is what happens when you write to lots of companies asking them to open up new branches in Wick.

rfr10
22-Dec-06, 13:54
I guess this is what happens when you write to lots of companies asking them to open up new branches in Wick.
:confused What do you mean?

gollach
22-Dec-06, 13:58
:confused What do you mean?

http://forum.caithness.org/showpost.php?p=172271&postcount=12

rfr10
22-Dec-06, 14:02
http://forum.caithness.org/showpost.php?p=172271&postcount=12

It's not really anything to do with that. It's only the fact that Tesco has just opened and more people will be shopping there before things may get back to normal.. I'm sorry if you didn't want me to try and get more shops here.

gollach
22-Dec-06, 14:11
My personal opinion is that it has more to do with the finite number of shoppers in the area. There will be a fall in the number of customers in other stores now that Tesco has provided additional choice.

Naefearjustbeer
22-Dec-06, 15:58
Sorry to here you are not getting many folk in somerfields but it is no surprise really considering tescos has opened up. I have some sympathy for your cause but absolutely none for somerfields. I know we have not been in since tesco opened and have no intention of using the place again. With a bit of luck they will close shop and we might get something decent in its place. Somerfields are without doubt the worst supermarket in the county.

danc1ngwitch
22-Dec-06, 16:49
i will go to summerfields tomorrow, i still need a few things anyway...:D

EDDIE
22-Dec-06, 17:19
My personal opinion is that it has more to do with the finite number of shoppers in the area. There will be a fall in the number of customers in other stores now that Tesco has provided additional choice.

Just wait to asda comes along asda and tesco are both good at here prices and deals .Im sorry but i dont feel sorry for sommerfield or coop its about time they and the local shops got some long overdue competition.I dont think it will hit the local shops that much they just to have to compete in a different way selling a different range of products to what the superstores do

compo
22-Dec-06, 17:29
mmm so why not ask tesco to let you bag pack or arent they that much into suporting local youth groups ??

bigpete
22-Dec-06, 20:02
Hi Folks
Just come back from Wick to here (Out West) to do our final Christmas shopping in Tesco's. Popped into Somerfields in Wick out of interest. There were a total of 8 'public' wandering around with one till open. Rather sad really as I remarked to my wife that it looked like they had a 'bag packer' there!. Not trying to be nasty, but surely it was obvious that with a brand new store (Tesco's) opening that there would be no chance of 'bag packing' in Somerfields having work to do?

Carried on to Tesco's where bit annoyed to find a 'Lybster Taxi' parked in a disabled space with the driver slouched in his seat eating something. I'm disabled (knackered legs, hips etc) and eventually we found a place to park, nonetheless we approached the Lybster Taxi and pointed out that he was taking up a Disabled space "what's it got to do with you"? he mouthed; obviously too thick to see I was supported on sticks. Anyway he had no intention of moving inspite of another taxi driver (not Lybster Taxi's) telling him he was 'out of order' to park there. So, into the store where the registration number was given to security and finally the pratt moved on. Wonder what makes these people tick?
Anyway loads of bargains and with the 5p difference it's worth the drive from west of Thurso (till ASDA comes of course!)

Tristan
22-Dec-06, 20:38
I have noticed most of the cars parked in the tesco disabled parking bays do not have badges. Perhaps it is time for the traffic warden to make a trip up there.

PS hope 1st Wick does well with the packing

gollach
22-Dec-06, 22:53
I have noticed most of the cars parked in the tesco disabled parking bays do not have badges. Perhaps it is time for the traffic warden to make a trip up there.

PS hope 1st Wick does well with the packing

I've noticed that some larger Tesco branches down south have their own traffic warden who issues stickers on windscreens of vehicles parked in disabled bays if there is no disabled badge visible.

bigpete
23-Dec-06, 00:19
Hi Folks

Like to see anyone try parking in a Disabled bay at the big ASDA in Fulwood, Preston, without a badge - they issue £40 parking fines - Honest!

danc1ngwitch
23-Dec-06, 16:58
went to somerfields an looks like it all right for people... hope the bag packing did ok xxx

loobyloo
23-Dec-06, 20:23
Went to Somerfield too earlier and had my bags packed by a very polite, little cub. If anyone needs a turkey, they've got fresh ones half price (well they did have at about 4pm).

pulteney person
23-Dec-06, 23:58
Was in Somerfield today and it was very busy when I was there. They had everything I wanted and I am sure there were at least 5 tills in operation at the time (around mid-day) I only saw 1 cub/scout and 1 adult, not sure where they all were when I was there.
I got a fresh turkey crown cheap! Actually, I bought my festive shopping there. Everything was easy to find and they actually had EVERYTHING I wanted.
Went to Tesco later on and it was busy but only had one person in front of me at the till because there are so many tills running. Plenty choice in Tesco but it doesn't come across as 'homely' and as friendly as the other shops. Still, you can't have everything. We have plenty choice anyway.
Went to homebase and I was the only customer in there at the time. Perhaps people are waiting for the sales?

Highland Laddie
24-Dec-06, 00:41
I was in Homebase, Pets at home and superdrug at about 16:30
and everywhere was really busy, could hardly find a parking space,
and Homebase were giving away free Christmas trees.

Gogglebox
24-Dec-06, 01:55
For the next 3 days, do your shopping in Somerfield please!! Beavers, Cubs, Scouts and Explorers are doing annual bag packing but by the look of Somerfield at the moment, it does not look very busy so we're not going to be making much if the number of shoppers doesn't increase.

Thank you :D

I hate having my shopping packed by some inept person who hasnt a clue and the imposition that i have to pay
You feel obliged to have it done. If your in a queue you feel terrible saying NO
Why put shoppers in that position. Its not fair
The worst is to put a packer on the 10 items or less what a con

I do know its for good causes but it is a bit Dick Turpinesque
Id rather make a donation to them on my way out the door
Although some do both and have you buying raffles on the way out the door
Charities have hit on Supermarkets as a easy money maker and its gotten a bit out of hand i think

Lybster1
24-Dec-06, 05:40
Hi Folks
Just come back from Wick to here (Out West) to do our final Christmas shopping in Tesco's. Popped into Somerfields in Wick out of interest. There were a total of 8 'public' wandering around with one till open. Rather sad really as I remarked to my wife that it looked like they had a 'bag packer' there!. Not trying to be nasty, but surely it was obvious that with a brand new store (Tesco's) opening that there would be no chance of 'bag packing' in Somerfields having work to do?

Carried on to Tesco's where bit annoyed to find a 'Lybster Taxi' parked in a disabled space with the driver slouched in his seat eating something. I'm disabled (knackered legs, hips etc) and eventually we found a place to park, nonetheless we approached the Lybster Taxi and pointed out that he was taking up a Disabled space "what's it got to do with you"? he mouthed; obviously too thick to see I was supported on sticks. Anyway he had no intention of moving inspite of another taxi driver (not Lybster Taxi's) telling him he was 'out of order' to park there. So, into the store where the registration number was given to security and finally the pratt moved on. Wonder what makes these people tick?
Anyway loads of bargains and with the 5p difference it's worth the drive from west of Thurso (till ASDA comes of course!)

I was speaking to the wick lad that drives the "Lybster Taxi" and he actually had a paying passenger in tesco's at the time, who was registered disabled, therefore he had every right to be parked where he was!
Please reply "bigpete"

bigpete
24-Dec-06, 10:10
Hi Lybster1

Re your: "I was speaking to the wick lad that drives the "Lybster Taxi" and he actually had a paying passenger in tesco's at the time, who was registered disabled, therefore he had every right to be parked where he was! "

What absolute twaddle!. Tesco's provides disabled parking 'for the disabled' they also provide 'pick up points' for Taxi's, I pointed out in my posting that a fellow Taxi driver told him he was 'out of order' to park there'; I wonder why?. And incidentally there was ample space at the pick up point.
There was no Blue Badge or a Disabled Tax exemption on that Taxi - it might have helped if this badge had been given by the registered disabled passenger to the Taxi driver to display, why not?
So he had absolutely no right whatsoever to be there but should have waited where other Taxi's wait. All we did was point out to the Taxi driver that he was parked in a Disabled Bay, why on earth did he not try to explain instead of simply saying "what's it got to do with you"? etc.
Bottom line; nobody parks in a disabled bay without displaying a Blue Badge/Tax exemption.
I'm severely disabled and I won't use a Disabled Bay unless I really have to, as I realise there are others worse off than me, it's a pity this sentiment does not extend to others..

EDDIE
24-Dec-06, 12:06
I hate having my shopping packed by some inept person who hasnt a clue and the imposition that i have to pay
You feel obliged to have it done. If your in a queue you feel terrible saying NO
Why put shoppers in that position. Its not fair
The worst is to put a packer on the 10 items or less what a con

I do know its for good causes but it is a bit Dick Turpinesque
Id rather make a donation to them on my way out the door
Although some do both and have you buying raffles on the way out the door
Charities have hit on Supermarkets as a easy money maker and its gotten a bit out of hand i think
I hate to say this as well but i agree totally with u that happens all year round in aberdeen its a shame in way because some people like to pack the bags there way and the kids dont relise it when it happens to me i just let them pack it thereway even if i dont like it im to scared to hurt there feelings because there just trying to be helpful.The thing i feed most embarrising is i dont general carry money often i tend to use the debit card mostly and there is nothing worse going to the checkout and there is a little helper there and u have no money but only a debit card makes me feel really bad
But having said all that i would far prefer the kids to raise money that way were everything is controlled and supervised and safe for them rather than doing the bob a job were they could being help out at someones house who they dont really know especially in this day an age.Come to think it i wonder if they still do bob a job ?

Gogglebox
24-Dec-06, 20:13
But having said all that i would far prefer the kids to raise money that way were everything is controlled and supervised and safe for them rather than doing the bob a job were they could being help out at someones house who they dont really know especially in this day an age.Come to think it i wonder if they still do bob a job ?[/QUOTE]

Actually, when you put it like that i do agree it is the lesser of two evils

It is awkward if you have no cash in your pocket, bit embarrassing

Think inflation might have got a hold of the old Bob A Job
Never hear of it now,
Maybe its 'Hire A Skiver For A Fiver' lol

jay
25-Dec-06, 00:44
seem to remember Thurso Town Improvements collecting or selling raffles in supermarkets quite often! okay for you but not others?