PDA

View Full Version : garden birds

appilihp
12-Dec-12, 10:45
Hi I have just moved into a bungalow out in the middle of nowhere. I have bought loads of different bird feeders and feed I have put these out in a sheltered spot in the garden. my garden has lots of trees and bushes but dispite this I still have not seen any sign of a single garden bird and none of the food has been touched. anybody got any idea why not I am out near Halkirk.

Scunner
12-Dec-12, 11:28
Give it time, they will arrive, or maybe I have them all, it certainly seems like it just now

poppett
12-Dec-12, 13:55
We have the ones who Scunner doesn`t feed, but these things take time. We have dozens of sparrows every morning fighting over one bird feeder when there are three on the stand, all containing the same feed. We don`t buy the feed balls as the crows steal them whole! We also have five regular love doves visit twice a day, blackbirds and starlings, all fed on the bags of mixed feed from Lidl.

Did the previous tenant/owner of your property have cats? If so the birds will have the sense to stay away until they know it is safe.

porshiepoo
12-Dec-12, 14:26
It does take time unfortunately.
I have tables laden with goodies such as Sunflower hearts, pinhead oatmeal, fruit, regular seed, peanuts, mealworms and suet and yet I'm still not getting as many visitors as I used to.
Theres a guy up the lane who has a garden full of trees and loads of feeders and when I go past I can hear the birds and have seen some of the species that I used to get such as Greenfinches, waxwings and other weird birds. I assume they prefer his sheltered spot to my more exposed spot.
I do get loads of Blue Tits though and they also nest in the garden. I've seen Great Tits too, Robins, Warblers and even saw 4 tree creepers this year :) Loads of Blackbirds, Wrens and then bucketloads of flipping crows and rooks :(

Guess you just need patience.

appilihp
12-Dec-12, 19:15
thanks everyone dont know if previous owner had cats I hope I get some birds had loads where I used to live but couldnt feed them as neighborhood cats would get them :-)

Backlass
13-Dec-12, 00:09
Yup, feed and they shall come. My brother moved to the country near Thruso and had no joy for yonks, but eventually got Goldfinch and Siskins and other finches, and even Yellowhammers, so keep going!