PDA

View Full Version : Beware Of An Old Scam Still Going Strong By Phone about Your Computer

Bill Fernie
10-Dec-12, 14:03
I do not usually put up warnings about computer scams or telephone scams trying to get your details as there are so many of them and there are already many web site warning you of what to look out for.

However today I received a call from an Indian centre or at least from a lady with an Indian accent say they were from Windows Centre and implied it was on behalf of Microsoft and they were phoning to help with errors on my computer.

They referred eventually to windows Event Viewer. Being suspicious I even told them I was suspicious of hoax and scam calls. She went on and on and tried to reassure me they were genuine. Gave web site address etc etc

After sometime of me not giving her anything she passed me to a so called Microsoft technician who then gave me instructions to see where the problems were on my computer.

This took some time and I wrote down the places to go as well as looking them up. He then tried to get me to give details to allow them to hook up to my computer. Once again I told them no way and could he email me the details. That got no where and he went on again that they could fix it in a short time if i allowed them to hook up.

Well they got the wrong person on this call as I talked continuously to see what reaction I would get. They just tried to talk over me non stop with authority obviously part of the technique to wear me down. They tried to take command of the conversation at every turn but they had struck unlucky today with a very stubborn person like me.

Well this call lsst up to 30 minutes as i had time and wanted to see how far they woud go. Eventually they gave up when I said I would speak to my own expert.

One thing for sure its they are doing this all the time and were very expert in their tone and trying to convince as I suppose all good scammers are.

I googled and immediately found an article in the Guardian about this and it almost is word for word what they told me. Here it is http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2010/jul/18/phone-scam-india-call-centres

Despite their lack of success with me and they want payment and your details from your computer if you do as they ask they will not stop and some of you may get these calls. I had some spare time today but for most of you it would be best to hang up immediately and not let them suck you into conversation. I am sure some of you have already experienced these calls and hope you gave them nothing let alone hook up to your computer.

Do not give any one from a call access to your computer or even your personal information on the phone.

I would be interested to hear of others in the area having similar calls. Tell your friends and relatives and especially watch out for older people who might be tempted to trust a caller on something like this.

Beat Bug
10-Dec-12, 14:30
We have this type of call on a regular basis. We just tell them we don't have a computer! Works every time.

poppett
10-Dec-12, 18:37
I am with Beat Bug with my response to these numerous calls.

However I was away last week and Dad had problems with his computer so if they had happened to phone him then he would have been caught for sure.

Even when I had a problem a while ago and my ISP sent me a new router which would not wireless to one of the laptops when I called Talk Talk technical help and they offered to "take over" my PC to let them sort the problem I politely declined, got in touch with our own Bobinovich who visited and sorted it out in ten minutes. Some people can be trusted with PC`s others, especially scammers, aren`t safe with a bag of rubbish.

squidge
11-Dec-12, 08:42
My parents were caught by this scam earlier in the year. They were very persistent despite my mum being initially suspicious even giving mum a professional looking website and an apparently London number which she called back. It cost them £97 and made my normally very astute 77 year old mum feel very silly and a bit vulnerable. After I persuaded her it was a scam she reported it and they called her back several times and in the end she told them to ermmmmmm not very nice word off and they let her be. One thing to know is that they paid with their credit card and the card company refunded the money.