PDA

View Full Version : Etiquette on neighbourly noise

Tavendale
09-Dec-12, 07:32
Hi folks. I'm new to the area and living with my partner in rented accommodation.As I type this is is nearly half six and I have been lying in bed for an hour unable to sleep due to next door neighbours playing drums and bass guitar for over an hour. I'm case you're wondering, no, they aren't any good.

What can or should I do about this? The idea of confronting them makes me somewhat anxious, but I'm hesitant to call the police over what seem a minor, though justifiable, nose complaint.If it makes any difference, we live in private rented accommodation. Unsure of next door's situation, possibly owned, possibly council tenants, as I know there are council houses on this street.

ducati
09-Dec-12, 09:28
If they are this dilligent in practicing, maybe they will get better. :D

kriklah
09-Dec-12, 09:53
the polite method - a politely worded letter asking that, while you apreciate their need to practice, could they please revised their schedule to a more sociable hour.

a slightly more effective method - place speakers of stereo system facing against the wall and a 10-20 second blast at high volume of some loud and obnoxious music. this method has been tried and tested(effectively) by a friend of mine at 3am when his neighbours are rattling the walls with their music. only problem with this one is the possibility of upsetting the neighbours on your other side:confused

squidge
09-Dec-12, 10:16
Knock on their door and ask them nicely if they would mind practicing a bit later in the morning. If you are anxious arm yourself with box of biscuits, chocolate, christmas card, bottle of plonk or something similar. Its then not a confrontation its a friendly request.

If it doesnt work then try the letter and keep a record of incidents but always a smile and asking nicely is worth it in the first place

rich62_uk
09-Dec-12, 10:40
Love Squides idea, I may start playing the drums in hope of some chocolate from my neighbors ! Seriously, you couldnt take offence if someone turned up with a gift and a polite request ....

Flynn
09-Dec-12, 10:54
Knock on their door and ask them nicely if they would mind practicing a bit later in the morning. If you are anxious arm yourself with box of biscuits, chocolate, christmas card, bottle of plonk or something similar. Its then not a confrontation its a friendly request.

If it doesnt work then try the letter and keep a record of incidents but always a smile and asking nicely is worth it in the first place

This has always worked for me too. Sometimes people just haven't realised that they are disturbing their neighbours.