PDA

View Full Version : What's the furthest north you've ever been?

secrets in symmetry
08-Dec-12, 23:52
We had a "Whose Dad is the biggest?" competition at my work last month.

One of the questions was "What's the furthest North you've ever been?"

I've been a long way South, East, and West of Caithness, but I haven't been very far North.

The rules are that you have to be on (or under) land or sea for it to count. Flying over the North Pole doesn't count.

What's the furthest North you've been?

Lorne
09-Dec-12, 00:13
Went to Dunnet Head on one of my trips up to the inlaws.

pat
09-Dec-12, 00:33
Will have to check when I next look at a map but think it may be Iceland.

golach
09-Dec-12, 00:36
North of Iceland in the 1960 Cod War, thankfully it was summer

secrets in symmetry
09-Dec-12, 00:40
North of Iceland in the 1960 Cod War, thankfully it was summerDid you win? :cool:

joxville
09-Dec-12, 01:47
You beat me to it S.i.S :-) I'll need to check exactly where but the furthest north I've been is one of the Orkney Islands. BRB.

Swanney, Orkney is the furthest north I've been. And it was great weather most of the week too.

David Banks
09-Dec-12, 01:58
Probably Helsinki

cullpacket
09-Dec-12, 02:41
About 64 degrees on a ship north oh Iceland sailed to Greenland it was beautiful scenery

Gronnuck
09-Dec-12, 09:38
Levanger, Norway, 1985.

Mystical Potato Head
09-Dec-12, 09:50
Sailed round the North Cape of Norway on a cruise,scenery was amazing.

Dialyser
09-Dec-12, 10:00
Alta in the north of Norway.

Flynn
09-Dec-12, 10:06
In 1994 - inspired by Michael Palin and his Pole To Pole programme - I went to Tromsø for four days. Wonderful city with delightful people. Beware the local beer though (if I recall correctly it was called Macks something).

golach
09-Dec-12, 10:29
Did you win? :cool:

I dont think so [lol]

shazzap
09-Dec-12, 10:36
Shetland..........

Tugmistress
09-Dec-12, 16:47
Hammerfest in norway :) amazing place, been there twice, once in summer once in winter!

secrets in symmetry
09-Dec-12, 16:56
Most have been further North than I've been - which is not far north of Stockholm.

Norway is popular with forum members. Would you all recommend it for a visit?

Mystical Potato Head
09-Dec-12, 17:10
Most stunning scenery i've ever seen,the further north you go the more spectacular it is.Planning a Iceland,Norway,Spitsbergen cruise in summer 2014.

billmoseley
09-Dec-12, 17:13
mines the Shetlands got dizzy up there so came back here :lol:

Dialyser
09-Dec-12, 18:43
Norway is a lovely place with great scenery and very friendly people. The main drawback to going is how expensive it is and I don't just mean for alcohol.

Rheghead
09-Dec-12, 18:55
Unst as far north as I could get but the pub was closed.

PantsMAN
09-Dec-12, 19:47
Fairbanks, Alaska

oldmarine
09-Dec-12, 19:55
Fairbanks, Alaska

I was likewise in Fairbanks, Alaska during December and it was cold. Brrrrrr.

domino
09-Dec-12, 22:15
North Cape and Helsinki

nightspirit
10-Dec-12, 13:27
Rekyavick iceland amd maybe a bit further on a tour inland :)

bcsman
10-Dec-12, 14:27
Bergen in Norway,beautiful place,beautiful country

Joefitz
10-Dec-12, 14:49
June 1984, I was in Kuparuk, Alaska, and at midnight on June 21st, I paddled in the Barents sea, furthest Northern point on the mainland,,,,,,,,,SO COLD, that water was!!!

Kodiak
10-Dec-12, 14:54
Muckle Flugga Lighthouse at the very North Tip of Shetland, that is as far North I have been.

http://i.imgur.com/brWkz.jpg

aidipi
10-Dec-12, 15:07
The Artic Circle May 2004 and the weather was 23degrees

Shaggy
10-Dec-12, 15:28
Red dog mine in Alaska way back in 1996......aah the good old days......
Had to actually check its north of Wick and it is by approx 10 degrees N...although it was -40 degrees there on a warm day :-)
As for the other extreme the furthest south i've been is prince Edward islands when i worked in South Africa in 1994. I had the opportunity to take another workers place on the job (he was sick) and was there for 6 months.

George Brims
10-Dec-12, 21:05
Denali, Alaska in 2008. Kids sent us there for our 30th wedding anniversary. Foiled them though - we came back. Now we just plan another trip there any time we get itchy feet.
Can anyone beat my *highest* at 44,000 feet?

Whitewater
10-Dec-12, 21:39
Juneau Alaska I think, not too sure if St Petersburg is as far north, been there as well, both were visits on big ships, next year planning trip round North of Norway.
I liked Juneau, I think I could live there, great way of life, I would enjoy it if I could survive the winters.

Shaggy
11-Dec-12, 03:39
Juneau Alaska I think, not too sure if St Petersburg is as far north, been there as well, both were visits on big ships, next year planning trip round North of Norway.
I liked Juneau, I think I could live there, great way of life, I would enjoy it if I could survive the winters.

I wouldn't mind living there myself (or anywhere in Alaska) The winters up there are manageable as long as you are not too isolated (should anything happen) but as im pushing on 50 its not something i would readily do now. From my time in Red Dog i remember the frost burns, snow blindness, wind chill and having to use copious amounts of vaseline on the exposed parts of my skin when working outside oh and the sunburn was also an issue in the dead of winter!

Whitewater
11-Dec-12, 14:02
Hello Shaggy, I have a nice warm beanie from the Red Dog saloon, nice red Scottie embroidered on the front, it keeps my ears nice and warm in the winter.

Don Quixote
11-Dec-12, 14:45
Bear Island, Norway (74º 31' North) and south through the Straights of Magellan.

East & West been around a few times :)

Old sailors never die they just keep on steamin'

Rheghead
11-Dec-12, 15:21
I've been to the North Pole.........to tell Santa what to bring the bairn on Christmas Eve.

KAT1E
11-Dec-12, 20:20
norway and sweeden

sassylass
11-Dec-12, 21:28
Hammerfest, Norway, a wonderful trip.

Oddquine
11-Dec-12, 23:08
Did a circuit of Mainland, Orkney a few years back.

secrets in symmetry
12-Dec-12, 00:27
Can anyone beat my *highest* at 44,000 feet?Since Everest is "only" a little over 29,000 feet, you're either being smart or you haven't read the rules:

The rules are that you have to be on (or under) land or sea for it to count. Flying over the North Pole doesn't count.I don't think 44,000 feet is particularly high for a plane, so what's special about that figure?

What's your lowest? Let's make it the lowest on the surface of the Earth, so no going underground. :cool:

I think my lowest is Death Valley - which you can probably match if your La-la Land is where I think it is.

secrets in symmetry
12-Dec-12, 00:31
Muckle Flugga Lighthouse at the very North Tip of Shetland, that is as far North I have been.

http://i.imgur.com/brWkz.jpg
Many have beaten you in Latitude Kodiak, but your Northernmost outpost is humongously awesome! :cool:

Did you live there and run the place? If so, for how long?

What was it like?

Kodiak
12-Dec-12, 01:06
Many have beaten you in Latitude Kodiak, but your Northernmost outpost is humongously awesome! :cool:

Did you live there and run the place? If so, for how long?

What was it like?

This is classed as a rock Station and you work 28 Days on with 28 Days Off. Three men on at a time with a relief once every two weeks. 1 man change over thern 2 weeks later 2 men change over.and 2 weeks later 1 man change over, and so on.

While working at the Lighthouse wealso worked for the Met Office, reporting the weather every hour on the hour. We also worked for the Coast Guard just in case there were any ships in trouble, for which we had training every so often.

One thing we had to go through was the Helicopter Survival and get the correct certificate to enable us to fly over the open sea. That was not a nice experience at all.

I worked at several Different Lighthouses in my time with the Northern Lighthouse Board. Here are the names of some of them.

Girdleness Lighthouse,
Neist Point Lighthouse,
Rattray Head Lighthouse,
Pladda Lighthouse,
Ailsa Craig Lighthouse,
Cantick Head Lighthouse,
Cape Wrath Lighthouse,
Muckle Flugga Lighthouse,
Stroma Lighthouse,
Holborn Head Lighthouse.

I had quite a bit of Fun working as a Lightkeeper and I miss it now. It has been 22 years now since I was made redundant due to the automation of the Lighthouses and as far as I am concerned it was the worst thing that the NLB ever did. Getting rid of the Keepers.

canuck
12-Dec-12, 15:06
Yellowknife. It looks further north than Lerwick.

secrets in symmetry
12-Dec-12, 23:50
This is classed as a rock Station and you work 28 Days on with 28 Days Off. Three men on at a time with a relief once every two weeks. 1 man change over thern 2 weeks later 2 men change over.and 2 weeks later 1 man change over, and so on.

While working at the Lighthouse wealso worked for the Met Office, reporting the weather every hour on the hour. We also worked for the Coast Guard just in case there were any ships in trouble, for which we had training every so often.

One thing we had to go through was the Helicopter Survival and get the correct certificate to enable us to fly over the open sea. That was not a nice experience at all.

I worked at several Different Lighthouses in my time with the Northern Lighthouse Board. Here are the names of some of them.

Girdleness Lighthouse,
Neist Point Lighthouse,
Rattray Head Lighthouse,
Pladda Lighthouse,
Ailsa Craig Lighthouse,
Cantick Head Lighthouse,
Cape Wrath Lighthouse,
Muckle Flugga Lighthouse,
Stroma Lighthouse,
Holborn Head Lighthouse.

I had quite a bit of Fun working as a Lightkeeper and I miss it now. It has been 22 years now since I was made redundant due to the automation of the Lighthouses and as far as I am concerned it was the worst thing that the NLB ever did. Getting rid of the Keepers.There are some far out places amongst that lot!

From what you wrote, I gather you enjoyed your job. Were there times in midwinter when you were desperate to leave the lighthouse and get back to what we call normal life? I imagine you just get used to life on a rock after a while.

Keyser_soze
22-Dec-12, 21:07
Greenland , do I get the prize ? for having the biggest drip descending off my nose?

DRM
25-Dec-12, 20:21
Rovienemi on arctic circle in Finland Went there to see Santa at Christmas

Joefitz
29-Dec-12, 18:36
I just remembered, The Beaufort Sea in 1987, went out on a chopper to an oil rig that didn't look for oil, it was a listening post.....AWEFULLY close to the pole......