PDA

View Full Version : The Fog

Tymey
21-Dec-06, 13:54
Apparently there is fog at Heathrow and some planes can't land or leave. Is this really newsworthy?

Saveman
21-Dec-06, 14:08
Well they do call it "the big smoke."

Ho ho hum

Tymey
21-Dec-06, 14:13
No, you've lost me.

with your wit that is, not by some kind of cyberfog....

Naefearjustbeer
21-Dec-06, 14:16
Apparently there is fog at Heathrow and some planes can't land or leave. Is this really newsworthy?

Yes it is :D

Through
21-Dec-06, 14:18
I don't know if that's news, but when I saw the weather map, I could have sworn it looked like someone had deliberately put fog over the whole of Englandshire and just Englandshire. Nowhere else.

And I have an alibi.

Saveman
21-Dec-06, 14:20
I think this is just clouding the issue.

henry20
21-Dec-06, 14:22
Yes Tymey, it is newsworthy, at this time of year so many people are travelling to be with family and at least family members are kept up to date with whats going on - without the need for an hourly phone call.

In a perfect world, that would be the most exciting news of the day as there would be no crimes commited. Unfortunately, it is seen as mundane in comparison to bomb threats, murders & bank raids. :~(

Cattach
21-Dec-06, 14:23

Certainly is newsworthy if you are waiting to get home to your loved ones for Christmas and familes, many with children, are looking forward to the coming together of the family for maybe the first time in a year or maybe much longer. Don't think much of your 'Christian' thoughts for others at Christmas if your remark means what I think it does.

Tymey
21-Dec-06, 14:27
Given that historically Christmas in not a Christian holiday then I suppose your right.

I've just been made redundant so I suppose the traffic news is not really top of my priorities. It is Londoncentric reporting. The world ends at Watford Gap.

Cattach
21-Dec-06, 14:31
Given that historically Christmas in not a Christian holiday then I suppose your right.

I've just been made redundant so I suppose the traffic news is not really top of my priorities. It is Londoncentric reporting. The world ends at Watford Gap.

You are actually wrong on the first point but I will not give you all the reasons why.

On the second you may be correct but that does not alter the fact that huge numbers of Scots are having difficulty getting home for the festive period due to fog at many airports including Scottish ones. And the problems at Scottish ones have been well reported on Sky News and BBC News24.

Naefearjustbeer
21-Dec-06, 14:33

Christmas is a Christian holiday, The fact that is has taken over from an older pagan festival is not important as it is now known as CHRISTmas. Before Christ it would of been called something different. If you are wanting to celebrate an older event dont call it Christmas.

Naefearjustbeer
21-Dec-06, 14:36
Sorry to hear about the job front hopefully something will come up soon!

Saveman
21-Dec-06, 14:36
Christmas is a Christian holiday, The fact that is has taken over from an older pagan festival is not important as it is now known as CHRISTmas. Before Christ it would of been called something different. If you are wanting to celebrate an older event dont call it Christmas.

Oh yes.....now I see the fog..... ;)

Tymey
21-Dec-06, 14:42
I suppose the fog news is good cos now we don't hear so much about the five women killed in Suffolk, which was just saturating the news coverage.

The weather is more important than murder after all.

henry20
21-Dec-06, 15:27
If you are referring to my statement about murders, then you are totally misinterpretting my statement for your own use. I never said murders were less important - I implied they were unneccesary! I'd love to live in a world where all I had to worry about was the weather!!

Geo
21-Dec-06, 15:29

Very if you were planning to set off on a long journey to get to Heathrow for a flight.

Saveman
21-Dec-06, 15:32
I know this link has been posted before, but I'll post it again in case anyone mist it.

http://saturn.unibe.ch/rsbern/noaa/dw/realtime/current/n1bcurr.jpg

Tymey
21-Dec-06, 15:53
If you are referring to my statement about murders, then you are totally misinterpretting my statement for your own use.

That was not my intention. I just fail to see how, for instance, BBC Radio FiveLive is running with this as its main story.

I think any inbound flights should do what they do when a plane can't land in Wick because of fog - fly on to Shetland and land there. That would be a story! :0)

golach
21-Dec-06, 15:53
It is Londoncentric reporting. The world ends at Watford Gap.
I think not, if you turned up at Edi or Glw this morning for a flight to Heathrow, I would say that the reporting of the Fog was important to all travellers, approx 300 domestic flights cancelled today, that is newsworthy.

Tymey
21-Dec-06, 15:58
I think not, if you turned up at Edi or Glw this morning for a flight to Heathrow, I would say that the reporting of the Fog was important to all travellers, approx 300 domestic flights cancelled today, that is newsworthy.

That is what travel and traffic reports are for.

Geo
21-Dec-06, 16:01
Is that not what it is?

Tymey
21-Dec-06, 16:18
No. This is a news item. Generally a travel report is a few minutes long, if people need further info they can contact thier carrier.

golach
21-Dec-06, 16:34
No. This is a news item. Generally a travel report is a few minutes long, if people need further info they can contact thier carrier.
A wee question then, What do you want to see on the news?.......Jack McConnell struck down with bout of bronchitis, ....how boring :D

canuck
21-Dec-06, 16:40
It isn't just the UK that gets in a mess when an airport is closed. The entire world is thrown into chaos when a major airport goes down. One of my friends is flying back today to Scotland for a funeral. But no airplane came from London, so she sits in Toronto waiting! The London fog made headline news in Canada this morning. Half of Burlington flies "home" for the holidays to places like Glasgow, Ayr, Inverness and Paisley.

Tymey
21-Dec-06, 16:49
......Jack McConnell struck down with bout of bronchitis, ....how boring :D

Has he??? :)

Perhaps the Somalia/Ethiopia war or the British soldier accused of spying could find priority over the weather.

Maybe African lives aren't as important.

Through
21-Dec-06, 17:12
A wee question then, What do you want to see on the news?.......Jack McConnell struck down with bout of bronchitis, ....how boring :D

Well that gets my vote. Any chance of anything worse?

paris
21-Dec-06, 17:53
The fog here in lincolnshire has been very thick for 3 days now and alot of our roads here have dyke's at either sides so its quite dangerous if you have to go out in the car and there is ice about as well. We haven't seen the other side of our rd for 3 days, its that thick. jan x

Tymey
21-Dec-06, 17:59
Yet for some reason that has not been on the national news. It's a disgrace! ;)

Ricco
21-Dec-06, 18:00
It isn't just the UK that gets in a mess when an airport is closed. The entire world is thrown into chaos when a major airport goes down. One of my friends is flying back today to Scotland for a funeral. But no airplane came from London, so she sits in Toronto waiting! The London fog made headline news in Canada this morning. Half of Burlington flies "home" for the holidays to places like Glasgow, Ayr, Inverness and Paisley.

I guess that the fog issue is therefore an international news issue, of great import to all of the people who are in the midst of, or contemplating, travelling vai the UK to anywhere on the planet. If I was one of those people I'd be very grateful that it was considered a news issue, ta.:cool:

Geo
21-Dec-06, 18:16

Any travel incident that became this disruptive would become a news item. Stories do not have to be about death and destruction to be newsworthy.

Tymey
21-Dec-06, 18:32
Any travel incident that became this disruptive would become a news item. Stories do not have to be about death and destruction to be newsworthy.

Is it more that when England gets "weather" the world has to hear about it? If you are in London you will surely know it is foggy and if you live elsewhere you will be told if your flight has been cancelled or not. It is not headline news.

emb123
21-Dec-06, 18:37
well I'm in roughly that neck of the woods at the moment, and not sure about it being newsworthy or not but's certainly hard to miss.

Just come back from shopping and I almost hit one of those lit up bollards in the middle of the road because I couldn't see it until the last few seconds whilst getting to the centre of the road ready to turn right into the road where I live, which I also couldn't see until it was only a couple of yards away.

Pretty bad fog.

Gogglebox
21-Dec-06, 18:46
That you cant see the implications of the traffic chaos to most of the country highlights your naivety Tymey

Planes not moving train buses and taxis flooded with extra people no accomodation to put up the people stuck in airports throughout the world No post parcels etc being shifted. People stranded on the biggest holiday weekend of the year.
Its nothing to do with England it has become a world wide problem as big a logistical nightmare as there has been and affects every airport in the UK
It will take days to catch up with the cancelled flights and many people will spend Christmas in a departure lounge

So it is significant to the citizens of the uk all over
The murders in Suffolk are a terrible incident as are the third world problems and all the other stuff you reeled off but the clue is in the word NEWs - -they are ongoing stories that will be given prominence when there is another aspect to report

Geo
21-Dec-06, 18:50
Is it more that when England gets "weather" the world has to hear about it? If you are in London you will surely know it is foggy and if you live elsewhere you will be told if your flight has been cancelled or not. It is not headline news.

If it was in any part of the UK where there was major disruption to travel it would have made the headlines too.

Just because it is foggy outside your window does not mean it is in the next street never mind halfway across town so news reports are helpful. Many people have in the past made it all the way to an airport to be told their flight was cancelled so no you don't always get told beforehand.

I think the long and short of it is in your opinion it is not headline news but in others' opinions it is, simple as that.

Tymey
21-Dec-06, 18:51
You'd think that as bad weather tends to happen in the winter there would be better contingency plans to cope.

Ojibwa
21-Dec-06, 18:53
Well I just hope it all clears so that all those people stranded at Heathrow can get to wherever they are going for Christmas. My parents have a flight from Heathrow on Sunday to come and spend the holidays with us, so my fingers are crossed that everything runs smoothly. It;s no fun for anyone being stuck in an airport.

Geo
21-Dec-06, 18:57
You'd think that as bad weather tends to happen in the winter there would be better contingency plans to cope.

Yes they should bring in the giant fans and blow the fog away. Can't imagine why they haven't...;)

Saveman
21-Dec-06, 18:59

LOL!
Have you heard the tale of the troll that lived under a bridge.....:lol:

Geo
21-Dec-06, 19:07
Did he live under the bridge to get away from the bad weather?

jamieS
21-Dec-06, 19:13
Well with Heathrow airport being the the busiest passeger airport in the world it is not suprising the fog it is making news through out the world. There are lots of people stranded trying to come home for Christmas and many families trying to get away for Christmas.

Through
21-Dec-06, 19:14
Did he live under the bridge to get away from the bad weather?

That's the very kiddie! Sadly for him, fog finds its way under bridges too as well. Why wasn't he on the news? I demand the right to demand that trolls get on the news!

golach
21-Dec-06, 22:14
Yes they should bring in the giant fans and blow the fog away. Can't imagine why they haven't...;)
Geo, a perfect use for a few of those unwanted Wind Turbines eh? :lol:
Tymey get real, over 40,000 people stranded in Heathrow and Gatwick, if thats not headline news what is?

Ricco
21-Dec-06, 22:20
LOL!
Have you heard the tale of the troll that lived under a bridge.....:lol:

I hear that the Government is consulting him about the new troll roads. :lol:

Tymey
22-Dec-06, 17:28
Tymey get real, over 40,000 people stranded in Heathrow and Gatwick, if thats not headline news what is?

Murder and Jack Mcconnell's bronchitis.

canuck
22-Dec-06, 17:30
Must be contageous. We have it here now, the fog, not the bronchitis.

North Rhins
22-Dec-06, 17:56
It always seems to me that anything that happens in the south east of England, especially in the ‘Home Counties,’ then it is saturated by news coverage. Incidents have always been maximised and portrayed blacker than black. I remember the gale force winds that struck the south coast in the 1980’s. When I turned the news on, Nicholas Whitchell was sat in front of the camera dressed in black with a face like a split clog. I thought for a minute that the Queen had died. It’s not a case of North versus South I do truly believe that outside the south east an incident may get a passing mention on the six o’clock and ten o’clock news but if it happens down there then it’s the end of the world.

Through
23-Dec-06, 12:45
It's because our place names are too difficult to pronounce and they don't know where anything is. They have teams of people who can tell them the exact pronounciation of a complicated name from Burkina and exactly what it's neighbours are. Sadly, for our country, they can only guess at "in-VUR-nuss" and tell us glibly that it's "near Glasgow."

What, exactly, is British about the BBC?