PDA

View Full Version : Jacintha Saldanha RIP

Rheghead
08-Dec-12, 20:03
Very sad news to hear about the death of Jacintha Saldanha who worked to serve others. Rest in peace. :~(

golach
08-Dec-12, 20:04
Very sad news to hear the death of Jacintha Saldanha who worked to serve others. Rest in peace. :~(

Ditto Rheg,

Slickly
09-Dec-12, 09:47
Don't take this the wrong way, but what is the point of a thread such as this ?

I find these types of things mawkish. Where private citizens have their name and life discussed by totally unconnected people on social forums who know neither the individual, nor the circumstances. I'm sure your intentions are well meaning, but I fail to see what the intention was.

The personal slating and humiliation this individual initially received in the public domain and in social forums and in the media was due to exactly this type of thing where they have become a topic of conversation - one can easily make a connection by such activity and the outcome.

And there I've fallen into the trap as well, by continuing them as a topic of conversation.

Its the general public in their insatiable need to comment that has more blood on their hands than any Auzzie prankster.

Kevin Milkins
09-Dec-12, 12:32
I also feel sad that this nurse had become the subject of ridicule because of a prank.

Commore
09-Dec-12, 12:35
The "Pranksters" ought to be charged with manslaughter..see how funny they think it is then.

Slickly
09-Dec-12, 12:41
The "Pranksters" ought to be charged with manslaughter..see how funny they think it is then.

Your reactionary sense of proportion can only be measured in angstroms.

Commore
09-Dec-12, 12:58
Your reactionary sense of proportion can only be measured in angstroms.
Is that right, and how do you think that these people ought to be dealt with?
or perhaps you think that a life can only be measured by one ten-billionth of a meter too?

Slickly
09-Dec-12, 13:11
Is that right, and how do you think that these people ought to be dealt with?
or perhaps you think that a life can only be measured by one ten-billionth of a meter too?

I hope for your sake the route that lemmings take isn't passed your front door.

Flynn
09-Dec-12, 13:30

I don't think they set out to cause death and grief. And as yet there has been no comment of whether the nurse was already suffering from depression. Until there has been a full inquiry I don't think it wise to blame anyone for this tragedy.

billmoseley
09-Dec-12, 14:13
you can only hope that this will make other broadcasters think before they pull any more of these silly stuns. my thoughts go to her husband and children. what sort of xmas will they have

Flynn
09-Dec-12, 14:15
To be fair this is the first time I've ever heard of a prank possibly resulting in a fatality. Who can honestly say they never laughed at Game For A Laugh, or Beadle's About, or Candid Camera?

PantsMAN
09-Dec-12, 19:49
To be fair this is the first time I've ever heard of a prank possibly resulting in a fatality. Who can honestly say they never laughed at Game For A Laugh, or Beadle's About, or Candid Camera?

Well said! "let him who is without...|"

Rheghead
09-Dec-12, 20:26

So when Jeremy Beadle plays a trick on a member of the Public does it then become suddenly newsworthy? Is it plastered all over the papers and TV primetime news slot?

Flynn
09-Dec-12, 20:50
So when Jeremy Beadle plays a trick on a member of the Public does it then become suddenly newsworthy? Is it plastered all over the papers and TV primetime news slot?

Definitely it would become newsworthy. Beadle's been dead for four years. :lol:

porshiepoo
10-Dec-12, 19:48
You gotta love the posters who join in with a thread that they claim they find "mawkish". Honestly, if you find the subject so distasteful then don't ruddy post in the thread - walk away with indignation and with all your fragile sensibilities intact.
The fact is that this topic is plastered all over the TV news and the internet so obviously it's a topic that is going to garner discussion and opinion on forums, such as this one, where people are free to talk about such things.

I understand the sympathy and concern for the family and friends of Jacintha however I do feel that the 2 radio presenters are being made scapegoats of. Surely such a prestigious hospital that treats royalty regularly should have had some kind of practice in place for just this sort of thing?
I mean I for one would not believe for one minute that the queen herself would make such a phone call and would have been suspicious straight away. Surely some form of protocol should be in place to protect both patients and staff?
The radio presenters never expected to get through on the phone and once they had they certainly never anticipated such a world wide reaction to what was simply a prank phone call.
IMO the blame (if there should even be one) should sit at the feet of the hospital who had no protocol in place and obviously did nothing to counsel Jacintha after the event or the owners/producers of the radio station that allowed such a prank to go ahead in the first place.
But nope, the radio presenters are taking the full flak for the whole thing. I just hope they're receiving better counseling than poor jacintha received.

Slickly
13-Dec-12, 09:23
IMO

...based upon not having any of the facts or details....

the hospital who had no protocol in place

...which you don't know if it did or didn't....

and obviously did nothing to counsel Jacintha after the event

...and which you don't know if they did or didn't...

they're receiving better counseling than poor jacintha received.

....and also which you don't know if she did or didn't.

What I'd give to have your omniscient powers.

_Ju_
14-Dec-12, 11:07
While I feel for what Jacinta Saldanha's family is going through, her death was the result of her own hand. Yes, a prank was played on her. And yes, she was made a public spectacle and figure of ridicule. However, if this prank is the direct cause of her actions, then surely the editor of the programme, who decided to put this call in public dominion is the person to hold directly responsible?
Now I know that sounds unfeeling towards Ms Saldanha, but I do think it is unreasonable to have predicted that something like this would happen from the prank that was played. So also I sympathise with the radio presenters, who now have to live forever with their personal feelings of guilt and also with so many in the world considering them responsible for Ms Saldanhas death (or even murderers!).
Sometimes there is a confluence of the wrong circumstances with the wrong people that result in tradgedy. Sometimes blame cannot be attributed. And maybe in this case we, with our armchair antics, are reponsible for pushing Ms Saldanha to where she got. So are we also going armchair judge these radio presenters to the point of pushing them somewhere similair?