PDA

View Full Version : Displaying pc desktop to two monitors

ecb
07-Dec-12, 22:49
At a part time job, I have a Windows XP computer, with a video splitter cable a bit like this:

http://www.misco.co.uk/product/192064/StarTech-1-ft-DVI-to-2x-VGA-Video-Splitter-Cable

attached to a video card, they want to display the computer's desktop on two monitors (one facing the user and the other facing the audience). However, after going in to Display Properties, Settings, Advanced, I only got it to work on one monitor, the other monitor at best only showed part of the screen. In the past at another place, I have managed to display to a pc's monitor and a projector at the same time.

I assume that I must be making a basic mistake with the two monitors, would it be best to use two video cards? Could someone give me some advice about this, please?

andrew.bowles30
08-Dec-12, 06:16
Try this:

On the Settings tab of the Display Properties dialog box, click the monitor icon that represents the monitor you want to use in addition to your primary monitor.
Click to select the Extend my Windows desktop onto this monitor check box. After you enable this feature, you can drag items across your screen onto alternate monitors. Or, you can resize a window to stretch it across more than one monitor.

gillsbay
08-Dec-12, 17:36
I suspect this is simply that the monitor which shows part of the screen has a lower resolution than the other monitor, if you change the screen resolution to suit the lower resolution screen that might work

secrets in symmetry
08-Dec-12, 23:38
I suspect this is simply that the monitor which shows part of the screen has a lower resolution than the other monitor, if you change the screen resolution to suit the lower resolution screen that might workThat would be my guess too.

If your PC has DVI and VGA video output, I suggest connecting one monitor to each socket. You should be able to adjust the resolutions independently - assuming XP allows you to do this. (I don't use MS Windows.)

dx100uk
10-Dec-12, 02:11
I suspect this is simply that the monitor which shows part of the screen has a lower resolution than the other monitor, if you change the screen resolution to suit the lower resolution screen that might work

yep thats just a splitter cable [ does not give two independently controlled monitors]

the res must be set to the res of the lowest denomination monitor.

dx

ecb
13-Dec-12, 15:59
Thank you for that. It turned out that the problem was in the settings in the video card, that was preventing the changes made in Display Properties, Settings from happening properly.