PDA

View Full Version : manpurses?

rich
20-Dec-06, 21:51
Do real men carry handbags?
Looks like the answer is "yes."
Just ask 24 star Jack Bauer (maybe better not he carries bombs in his!)
And if you want a Bauer bag - a bicycle courier type satchel - where do you find one?
Try this site:
http://thesatchelpages.com/where-to-buy-jack-bauers-24-hour-messenger-bag/
But they might be sold out!
Now let's get serious, gentlemen. In this age of electroninc gadgetry we are all carrying more and more around with us. As we get older we may add bottles of pills. And with the climate warming up I guess we need someplace to stash the rain gear. What about the New Yorker or the TLS or the LL Bean Catalogue - where do we park them. Right! Not to mention the lap top and the cell phone.
Oh, yes, and if you are writing your memoirs you will need a thick notebook and several pens.
(If inspiration runs dry you can always produce a bottle of claret and a corkscrew. And what about a couple of croissants....)
Personally I find I am listing to the left with all the gear I carry round so I have recently switched from danish style schoolbags to back packs. (Swiss Army is especially good)
OK, here you are trucking along with all this clear and some yob sneers at your masculinity. So what do you do?
You delve into your trusty Jack Bauer, produce your can of Mace and spray the beggar!
Way to go.
SO what are uou keeping in your sporrans, men of Caithness?

Naefearjustbeer
20-Dec-06, 22:07
Sounds a bit poofy if you ask me.

Tiger Jones
20-Dec-06, 22:11
Sporran? Ah'm fixin' ta gits me a pack mule.

Billy Boy
20-Dec-06, 22:12
Do real men carry handbags? good question lol,dont know the answer to that, but i saw a man in woolies the other day with a man bag and lets just say it made him look as if he batted for the other side lol:eek:

Through
20-Dec-06, 22:18
No handbag here mat. However, in my sporran are a hanky, money and keys.

That's it.

Through
20-Dec-06, 22:21
Oh and by the way; if you really have been persuaded that the climate is warming up, maybe you could take a peek at www.john-daly.com

Maybe I should start a thread on the global warming myth that allows Tony Blair to bid for global acclaim as the superhero to save us all and Gordon Brown to raise taxes almost at will, unopposed. What will he spend the money on do you think?

EDDIE
20-Dec-06, 22:36

Its certainly not a guyish fashion but believe it or not u do see a lot of guys wearing a handbag style thing in aberdeen honestly

Through
20-Dec-06, 22:40
Its certainly not a guyish fashion but believe it or not u do see a lot of guys wearing a handbag style thing in aberdeen honestly

Just keep your back to the wall. Then again, they prolly won't fancy you.

the charlatans
20-Dec-06, 22:41
Has anyone seen these Men with Menpurses dancing roon their handbags in Skinandis or the Waterfront?

or a fermer going into Harbro and at the cash desk, "hold on dear i'll just get ma purse oot ma bag"

:lol:

rich
20-Dec-06, 22:42
Guys, where do you keep your cell phones? Are you not beginning to bulge around the middle? And your anti-high blood pressure meds? Where do they go? What about your blackberry and your i-pod????

Through
20-Dec-06, 22:44
Has anyone seen these Men with Menpurses dancing roon their handbags in Skinandis or the Waterfront?

or a fermer going into Harbro and at the cash desk, "hold on dear i'll just get ma purse oot ma bag"

:lol:

Errm...

No.

Are you serious? Last time I go to Skins.

Naefearjustbeer
20-Dec-06, 22:46
Guys, where do you keep your cell phones? Are you not beginning to bulge around the middle? And your anti-high blood pressure meds? Where do they go? What about your blackberry and your i-pod????

My pocket of my trousers has ample space for what I take with me. My mobile phone my wallet and some loose change. What else do you need.

the charlatans
20-Dec-06, 22:46
me serious? naw

but can you imagine? big hairy fermers with their lovely leather manpurse tucked under their arm.

naw.

Cedric Farthsbottom III
21-Dec-06, 00:27
A manpurse?Goin' up to a bar and asking for ten pints,5 vodkas,6 rums and coke ,giving the barmaid a wink.

She flutters her eyelids she thinks her lucks in wi ye.

Ye pull oot yer purse for yer money,she takes one look at ye and pee's hersel laughin'.:lol: :lol:

Ricco
21-Dec-06, 10:12
One of thse age-old questions. Men are in desperate need to have something to carry all the modern acutrements but manbags do look somewhat gay, don't they. I just stuff everything in my pockets and suffer the nagging I get as a result. :confused

golach
21-Dec-06, 10:40
Sorry Rich, once more I differ from you, on this issue, I see no need for a "Manbag", I never carry a great amount around with me, a wallet, some plastic cards, a little coinage, my mobile is in my jacket along with my bus pass.
But hey go to Italy all the men there have had shoulder bags for years now, I love pasta, just not a shoulder bag [lol]

the nomad
21-Dec-06, 13:03
No handbag here mat. However, in my sporran are a hanky, money and keys.

That's it.
And of course a wee refreshment vessel.

;)

sweetpea
21-Dec-06, 14:23
I don't mind them on the right type of guy. See a lot of them in cities with their laptops and stuff in them but I think it's a look only certain guys can pull off and I don't mean gay that doesn't come into it.

danc1ngwitch
22-Dec-06, 10:28
oh my some one is bound to accuse you of being Homophobic ( taps fingers and waits ) lol

Naefearjustbeer
22-Dec-06, 15:48
oh my some one is bound to accuse you of being Homophobic ( taps fingers and waits ) lol
Probaly but I wont lose any sleep about it. The good reps i recieved show folk agree with me.

Errogie
22-Dec-06, 16:09
The problem with any bag is the ease with which you can put it down and mislay it.
No, better to wear your possessions in a fishermans style waistcoat with multiple pockets, clips and other attachments. That way you are poised for instant evacuation of any burning building, car wreck or from the vicinity of volcanic activity, seismic event or similar disaster. This is just good survivalist philosophy in these uncertain times.

Bobbyian
22-Dec-06, 21:40
Im with you I usually have enough Pockets jacket,shirt ,trousers etc but round here they´ve taken real big to wearing these sloppy rucksacks that are either round there neck and so small they fit between the shoulderblades or enormous and hang around the back of their knees. keep banging you with them when waiting in a queue, I`d rather do without although now and again I have to carry a Laptop Bag

Whitewater
22-Dec-06, 22:00
I carried a bag/brief case to work all my life, (The bag had a shoulder strap as well as a hand grip) never had a problem with it, very useful item, still carry it on occasions, very useful, can be turned into a mobile bar when the situation demands. Never ever felt or thought about it being a Gay symbol at any time, and neither did anybody else. Well at least as far as I know??? perhaps they thought differently when my back was turned. Hmmmm!!

Cedric Farthsbottom III
22-Dec-06, 22:21
Its aw to dae wi' fashion or so I've been told.We guys are supposed to know a lot more about it.......

Chanel.......a wee piece of water between England and France wi lots o' jobbies floating on it.

Prada.........a newspaper in Moscow that hisnae even got a page three.

Gucchi........somehin ye say to yer bairn to stop cryin' ......gucchi gucchi coo

Fendi........what ye dae to someone when ye tell them a dirty joke

Jean Paul Gautier.......he's got a manpurse!!!!:lol::lol:

Ricco
22-Dec-06, 22:28
The problem with any bag is the ease with which you can put it down and mislay it.
No, better to wear your possessions in a fishermans style waistcoat with multiple pockets, clips and other attachments. That way you are poised for instant evacuation of any burning building, car wreck or from the vicinity of volcanic activity, seismic event or similar disaster. This is just good survivalist philosophy in these uncertain times.

Ah, Errogie. A man with a bit of common sense. I love those jackets - loadsa pockets of all sizes - one for every use imaginable. I still have mine after all these years. When I wear it I walk tall.... and alone. My wife refuses to acknowledge she is with me. ;)

Whitewater
22-Dec-06, 22:34
I have a jacket like that as well, they are brilliant. Only trouble is, I sometimes forget which pocket I've stuffed something into when I'm looking for it. But perhaps thats an age thing!!