PDA

View Full Version : Fur & Feather Shows - Wick and Thurso

Bradcon
20-Dec-06, 18:02
Just heard some disappointing news today.

There is to be no Fur and Feather Shows in Wick or Thurso this year.

This a huge disappointment to rabbit, cage bird, poultry, cat and dog keepers from all arounds the County who usually take part.

I hope that someone will let us know what the exact situation is, and give us some kind of explanation as to why there are no shows.

crofter
20-Dec-06, 23:39
Just heard some disappointing news today.

There is to be no Fur and Feather Shows in Wick or Thurso this year.

This a huge disappointment to rabbit, cage bird, poultry, cat and dog keepers from all arounds the County who usually take part.

I hope that someone will let us know what the exact situation is, and give us some kind of explanation as to why there are no shows.

That would explain why I haven't received a schedule yet. They are usually sent out in December and have to be returned before the end of the month. I take it you never heard why there is no show.

jambo
20-Dec-06, 23:54
i heard it was because the crofter was winning 2 much.

crofter
21-Dec-06, 01:12
i heard it was because the crofter was winning 2 much.
No I don't think so but it could be because of bird flu. That's why it was cancelled this year. The North of Scotland Poultry and Waterfowl show was held at Quoybrae at the start of the month but I don't think it was open to the public. Perhaps they were struggling to get people to help with the running of it.

Bradcon
26-Dec-06, 19:38
Heard it was something to do with the ducks, but not entirely sure. Well I am sure if they asked for help they would get some. I would have been more than willing to help.

emb123
27-Dec-06, 13:36
Bird Flu is a seriously underestimated threat I think, but that would probably be the reason. Seems a shame to cancel it completely though, perhaps just giving it a different name e.g. 'Animal show' would get around the missing 'feather' element and let all the proud livestock and pet owners have an enjoyable show ?

Wellies
27-Dec-06, 19:17
Bird Flu shouldn't be a reason for postponing it as we had a bird show a our show in July. I think we actually were the first since the scare. Everything had to be disinfected before and after the show along with extra measures just incase a bird had shown symptoms. The ministry vets in Inverness were very helpful.

Whitewater
27-Dec-06, 21:18
I'm sorry to hear that the shows are not on this year, though I must admit I don't now take them too seriously. I remember many years ago my daughter had a pet rabbit, we were told that it was a 'Chocolate Himalian' and so it was duly entered in the show and much to our surprise it got 1st place in that section. The following year my daughter wanted to continue her success so the rabbit was again entered as a 'Chocolate Himalian', but this time we suspected something was far wrong, it was twice the size of all the other rabbits in that section. One of the judges duly arived and informed us that it was in the wrong section as it was a 'Californian Rex'. Since then I have never taken the shows too seriously.