PDA

View Full Version : Org reporter's research quest

Nwicker60
04-Dec-12, 10:35
Was Wick journalist involved in Second World War operation?

I am seeking information about my late father’s army service during the Second World War after which he returned north to operate his press agency in his native Wick.
His name his John Edward Donaldson (better known as Hot News) and he served with the 5th Seaforth Highlanders. I know that he was stationed at Fort George in Inverness-shire and at one point, was half way across the English Channel, bound for St Valery when his contingent was recalled.
Dad never spoke much about his time in uniform but I believe he was involved in intelligence, at one point. I know he spent some time at Papillon Hall, in Leicester-shire where the ill-fated “Operation Market Garden” plans were drawn for the dropping of paratroopers to capture bridges in the low countries. Dad spent some of his off-duty time in Melton Mowbray.
I appreciate that a considerable amount of time has elapsed, but any information would be greatly appreciated. My initial research with army records has, to date, produced little information. These sources make a charge and I am currently filling out a form for the Ministry of Defence – their search fee is £30 – which requires among other things my dad’s army number and discharge date.
You can contact me using the org's internal message system or through my own e-mail address nwicker60@btinternet.com