PDA

View Full Version : Coeliacs Disease

Lolabelle
20-Dec-06, 11:17
I have just found out that I more than likely have coeliacs disease. I will get tested after christmas, but have all the symptoms bar one. And would you believe that the only thing that I don't have is unexplained weight loss!!!! Does anyone else have it? How do you go eating out?
I have just made a gluten free christmas cake, I modified a Nigella Lawson recipe, and hopefully it will turn out ok.
We travel a lot and I am finding it a pain to have to eat gluten free. Any tips out there?? Anything would be appreciated.:confused

evelyn
20-Dec-06, 22:55
Hi Lolabelle,
Get in touch with www.coeliac.co.uk and they will be able to give you LOADS of info. They also provide you with a bible of branded foods that are safe for you to eat, which will save you having to read the small print on every label.
When eating out try to plan ahead and notify your chosen restaurant of your needs in advance. It saves the embarrassment of a vague non understanding stare if you haven't given any notice.
Try not to make it complicated. I find it easier to ask for something specific rather than ask for 'a coeliac dish'. Most good quality restaurants should be able to provide you with a nice piece of grilled meat/fish and some simple veg.....maybe not the most imaginative but thats what i tend to ask for in advance when travelling with my father, who suffers with this disease.
All the best
evelyn

Lolabelle
21-Dec-06, 04:18
Thank Evelyn, I hadn't thought of ringing prior to going to a restaurant.
It certainly makes sense to do that. I will ring the australian equivilent society and look up their website for more info. I think I am awash with all the things that need changing and am a bit frazzled.

Geo
21-Dec-06, 12:12
If you register with Glutafin they usually send a free bumper pack of their gluten free food to try out. They can also supply your prescription if/when the diagnosis is confirmed.

http://www.glutafin.co.uk/en/beginRegister.asp

Venture
21-Dec-06, 23:15
Lolabelle - Can you tell me what the symptoms are with yourself. I ask on behalf of someone who thinks they might also have it. Would be grateful for any info

Liz
22-Dec-06, 14:59
Sorry to hear that you might have Coeliac Disease Lolabelle but the good news is that it can be 'cured' if you avoid gluten and thankfully there are now many gluten free foods available including bread.

It can be overwhelming when you first have to avoid certain foods. I have Crohns Disease and there are lots of foods I cannot eat but you just get used to this by time.

Just start off simply by eating good fresh food such as fruit and veg etc and then as you learn which foods to avoid it will become easier. A lot of foods in supermarkets are now labelled as gluten free and I am sure if you go online you will also find suppliers.

Good luck!

Venture have a look at the website which Evelyn gave the address for.:)