PDA

View Full Version : Job Advert That Looks Like A Scam

Gizmo
03-Dec-12, 15:04
This Job advert was in last weeks Caithness Courier.

http://img844.imageshack.us/img844/6936/jobscam.jpg

It's a little cryptic, but I thought it was at least worth enquiring about. All I asked for were more details of the job, and what qualifications and experience was required.

This is the reply I received this morning.

Thanks for your interest in our job offer.

After reviewing your application, we have chosen you to be one of our survey agents.

We are delighted to have you join our team.

Holdfasts team is an organization that specializes in running surveys on several companies in order to help them improve and better their services to the public.

Your role as our agent will be to run surveys on the following companies;-

1)Western Union outlets

2)Restaurant locations

3)MoneyGram outlets

These companies have received complaints based on both reports that customers had forwarded anonymously and phone calls which were made to their head offices.

The Western union, Restaurant and MoneyGram outlets are being reported for the following reasons:

Western Union and MoneyGram outlet:

I) Customers have reported their money missing
II) Slow services
III) Unbalanced transfer charges

The 2nd(Restaurant)associations were reported to be rendering;

(I) Poor services
(II) Unfriendliness to customers
(III) Excessive charges
(IV) Late opening time and Closing before time.

Your first assignment will be the survey of a Western Union outlet while the 2nd assignment will be on Restaurant dining and the 3rd assignment will be a MoneyGram survey.

All the outlet's addresses will be sent to you once you have received your assignment funds.

Your Secret Evaluation will take place in a STEP-BY-STEP manner:

1)The funds needed for you to carry out your assignment/task will be sent to you once your details have been received.

2)From the assignment funds, you will have to deduct your commission of £250.

3)After receiving the assignment funds, we'll send you the name and address of whom the transfer will be made to.

4)Your first assignment will be at a western union outlet.

5)You will have to record the time on which it took you to have your assignment completed.

6)You will have to provide me with the name of the cashier which attended to you.

7)You will be paid £250 per assignment and it will be increased depending on your performance.

8)You will be receiving 2-3 assignments per week depending on how fast you are in completing your assignments.

9)You will have to keep a comprehensive report on every activity you carry out during your assignment.

10)No special skills are required.

11)This job will not disturb your current schedule.

12)This job only requires 5-7 hours per week.

13)All assignments are within your local area/area of choice.

14)After completing 3 assignments, you will be able to choose between a Permanent,Temporary & Fixed Term Work Contract.

To get started, kindly fill in the below with your details and we will get back to you shortly with an assignment:

First Name:
Last Name:
Full Home Address:
County:
City:
Postal code:
Mobile Phone:
Home Phone:
Current Occupation:

After you have emailed your information to us, you should make sure you check your e-mail at least 2-3 times daily to read updates from us.

Thank you and I look forward to working with you.

Yours Sincerely,

-Andrea North

I can find no online information about the organisation called 'Holdfasts' that is mentioned in this email. It sounds like a total scam, so be very careful about giving them any personal information if you also enquired about that job.

moshmosh
03-Dec-12, 18:36
This is a well known scam. Avoid at all costs.

Lorne
03-Dec-12, 19:49
The "assignment funds" sent to you will be from a stolen chequebook. You pay it into your account and deduct your "fee"
You then transfer the balance of the assignment funds via Western Union from your account to the named person. They get paid from YOUR money. A few weeks down the line, the stolen cheque will flag up in your bank. You will lose the full ammount of the cheque from your account.... plus of course the money you sent via Western Union. These ads can be found in Gumtree all the time.

Dadie
03-Dec-12, 20:30
Shouldnt the title read-
Scam that looks like a job ad.

But how do they advertise in the Caithness Courier.....and why do the ads get published as it is a scam?
And cant anything be done about it?

Gizmo
03-Dec-12, 21:02
Shouldnt the title read-
Scam that looks like a job ad.

Well, no. Because I couldn't be 100% sure that it was a scam when I posted about it. I'd never heard of it before, and via a quick Google search, I couldn't find any info about the organisation that is mentioned in the reply I was sent.

Gizmo
03-Dec-12, 21:05
The "assignment funds" sent to you will be from a stolen chequebook. You pay it into your account and deduct your "fee"
You then transfer the balance of the assignment funds via Western Union from your account to the named person. They get paid from YOUR money. A few weeks down the line, the stolen cheque will flag up in your bank. You will lose the full ammount of the cheque from your account.... plus of course the money you sent via Western Union. These ads can be found in Gumtree all the time.

Thanks for the info. I thought the Courier would have a better vetting process to stop ads like these being published.