PDA

View Full Version : Is this right

dozy
02-Dec-12, 16:39
Is it right that a charity uses 40% of it income to pay staff wages and would you put money in their tin if they stopped you in the street . Do you know how much of you donation really goes to them that they are collecting for . Would you be happy if this charity give away money to a commercail company in the form of a grant when those they are ment to help struggle to keep warm and feed . The staff are so well paid that they are getting 15% than the local average for the same work and all this in the name of CHARITY . Who said its only greedy bankers that you have to watch .

annemarie482
02-Dec-12, 16:51
Who or what charity is doing this?

M Swanson
02-Dec-12, 16:56
No Dozy, I don't believe this is right, which is why I became disillusioned with large, national charities a long while ago. I preferred to donate time and money to local groups who work so hard to provide hands-on help where it's most needed. I certainly don't believe in organisations who are much more interested in building state-of-the-art buildings, with plush carpets and very little put into protecting and sheltering animals. One has £100M in reserve, despite funds desperately being needed to provide care. I ignore chuggers and prefer to do what I can, at a cost to nobody. Big business some of this charity malarky.

pat
02-Dec-12, 18:52
I now only give to local charities or where personally know where the money is really being spent

Chuggers - in the entrance to the supermarkets, on the streets or kocking at your door trying to get you to sign up to the £2 or £3 a week - MOST of the first years money goes DIRECTLY to pay the CHUGGERS.

starfish
02-Dec-12, 19:28
Who or what charity is doing this? Most of the big charities where do you think the money comes from for printing flyers that are then delivered by the postman , they have to pay for him to deliver not the postie personally but the post office then there is the cut for the bosses wages of these charities and they are not on mimumum wages . You are better off given to local groups or buying a piece of equipment that they need . In the past we have raised money for scubu and bought pressure mats ect or a tv for the parents room . I know this sounds harsh but its the sign of the times

Rheghead
02-Dec-12, 19:44
Is it right that a charity uses 40% of it income to pay staff wages and would you put money in their tin if they stopped you in the street.

It depends on the nature of the charity, I suppose. Some charities need trained fulltime staff to have a global reach to where and when it is needed. Some charities do not provide a tangible 'end product' as such but aim to create changes in attitude in corperations and governments. How do you quantify that?

It would be hugely unfair to judge each charity using your yardstick.

Geo
02-Dec-12, 20:32
It's hard to comment without knowing the costs involved in running a charity. Not all charities will have the same overheads so the % going into paying for everything will differ. 40% seems a lot but I don't know all the facts.

annemarie482
02-Dec-12, 21:30
Who or what charity is doing this? Most of the big charities where do you think the money comes from for printing flyers that are then delivered by the postman , they have to pay for him to deliver not the postie personally but the post office then there is the cut for the bosses wages of these charities and they are not on mimumum wages .

I know this already, all charities do it to a degree, my reasoning for asking was I felt that the original post was a direct complaint about a particular charity and wondered which one.

starfish
02-Dec-12, 21:38
[]I know this already, all charities do it to a degree, my reasoning for asking was I felt that the original post was a direct complaint about a particular charity and wondered which one. sorry i misunderstood what you meant it just annoys me that people give thinking that all thier money goes to the charity . It normally those that can not really afford that give to the bucket collects or tin rattlers ect

bluechesse
02-Dec-12, 22:27
So whats the answer then? Give every single penny to the beneficiaries of the particular charity in question? If so, then who's going to distribute the money effectively? Who is going to manage those distributing the money? Who will ensure that a fair deal is being gotten when buying food, medicine, clothing etc to distribute? Where will the administration for all this take place?

Unfortunately the economics of it all demand that a big charity is managed like any other business. They need staff to manage it all and office facilities to do it from. As for the wages paid to the employees, well unfortunately if you pay peanuts you WILL get monkeys.
A managing director willing to accept minimum wage is, quite simply, not likely to be anywhere near as good at his/her job as one who commands a 50k wage. If he was, he wouldn't be working for minimum wage in the first place. Has it occured to anyone that to ensure that funds are effectively dispersed to the places they are needed most, they need to employ the people who are the best in their respective fields? They may be getting paid up to 15% more than the local average wage, but I would put it to you that this may be because they are much better at the job they do. Thats how the employment market works, those who are the best in their respective field command better wages. It's perfectly plausible that by paying 15% more than the local wage, the charity is ensuring that LESS money is actually wasted.

While its possible to run a small local charity simply with volunteer staff, the same can not be done with a large multi national charity organisation. Organisations such as cancer research and the RSPCA need full time staff to function. People can not afford to work for free full time.

I’m not saying that the expenditure of every single charity is justified in every case, I would need to do days and days of research to substantiate such a claim, and, in all honesty, in the end, I suspect that I couldn't do so anyway in some cases. But just because 40% of a charities income goes on wages, does NOT necessarily mean it’s wasted.

rob1
02-Dec-12, 23:28
This same issue was raised last year on the org. Large charities are made up of loads of people from cleaners and building maintance to administrator, finance and managers. As I said when this was brought up last year, do you expect them to work for free? Some chaities are so large they need massive reserves to pay their staff and tocontinue to do their work when funding drops significantly, ie cancer research may see a drop in funding if there as been a major natrural disaster where people are more likely to give to oxfam.

dozy
03-Dec-12, 06:38
This is NOT a national charity with a mega income ,it's turnover is more like £2million with the CEO on £70,000 plus car with an on top pension plus deal . So they spend £700,000 plus on wages and with only 20 pence in the pound going to the people that should be benefiting the rest goes on banking charges and into company reserves . They have spent £500,000 on offices and subsidise a commercial company to the tune on £80,000 a year and have now offered them a one off grant to the tune in the high five figures to help them balance their books . All this is happening locally right under our noses ,the staff run around in BMW,s and Mercedes when the folk they are supposed to help have to choose between Heat or Eat . All this in the name of CHARITY . They may use the word Charity to get round paying Tax ,but its the Gravy Train for the chosen few . Sorry to say but it looks like the board members are also on that train .

annemarie482
03-Dec-12, 09:14
This is NOT a national charity with a mega income ,it's turnover is more like £2million with the CEO on £70,000 plus car with an on top pension plus deal . So they spend £700,000 plus on wages and with only 20 pence in the pound going to the people that should be benefiting the rest goes on banking charges and into company reserves . They have spent £500,000 on offices and subsidise a commercial company to the tune on £80,000 a year and have now offered them a one off grant to the tune in the high five figures to help them balance their books . All this is happening locally right under our noses ,the staff run around in BMW,s and Mercedes when the folk they are supposed to help have to choose between Heat or Eat . All this in the name of CHARITY . They may use the word Charity to get round paying Tax ,but its the Gravy Train for the chosen few . Sorry to say but it looks like the board members are also on that train .

This is exactly what I was asking lol, I thought this was aimed locally so I am still asking who or what it is! You seem to have plenty info, so may as well share with the rest of us lol

Rheghead
03-Dec-12, 10:09

go on then, is this summat to do with CHaP or what was? :roll:

dozy
03-Dec-12, 19:11
go on then, is this summat to do with CHaP or what was? :roll:You barking up the wrong tree with CHaP . Sorry . But you could say that the two boards share a common theme .

bluechesse
04-Dec-12, 14:49
Whats the point in dropping hints? If you so annoyed about it, tell us what charity this is and where you got the information about expenditure, BMW's etc.

dozy
05-Dec-12, 01:35
Whats the point in dropping hints? If you so annoyed about it, tell us what charity this is and where you got the information about expenditure, BMW's etc.I thought you would have got the name from the first post ,all the letters are there along with all the clues. It should have been easy to figure it out . For the second part of your question, i'm not annoyed i'm sickened that this type of person is allowed to do what they are doing and we all turn a blind eye . When a staff can rule the board without being questioned ,that wrong .As for the info , all is available to those who care to grab a shovel and do some digging .

Alrock
05-Dec-12, 01:42
I thought you would have got the name from the first post ,all the letters are there along with all the clues. It should have been easy to figure it out . For the second part of your question, i'm not annoyed i'm sickened that this type of person is allowed to do what they are doing and we all turn a blind eye . When a staff can rule the board without being questioned ,that wrong .As for the info , all is available to those who care to grab a shovel and do some digging .

Maybe this thread should be moved here... (http://forum.caithness.org/forumdisplay.php?71-Jokes-Humour-amp-Game-Threads)
The General section is for discussion, so, if you have something you wish to discuss then tell people about it...

changilass
05-Dec-12, 02:13
I think that if all the info is there to be seen and you were totally sure of your facts, you would have just named the charity.

annemarie482
05-Dec-12, 10:05
Ditto to the two comments above!
Quit playing games and just tell us who's put a bee in your bonnet lol
Can't stand half a story :roll:

Gronnuck
05-Dec-12, 12:18
I thought you would have got the name from the first post ,all the letters are there along with all the clues. It should have been easy to figure it out . For the second part of your question, i'm not annoyed i'm sickened that this type of person is allowed to do what they are doing and we all turn a blind eye . When a staff can rule the board without being questioned ,that wrong .As for the info , all is available to those who care to grab a shovel and do some digging .

Having just read through this thread I'm beginning to wonder if this is a wind-up and you're a troll dozy.
If you have any questions or complaints you're first port-of-call should be the Office of the Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR) at http://www.oscr.org.uk Through the OSCR you can access the charity's account returns, study their mission statement and a whole lot more.
Now, regarding this charity's identity, I suggest you put up or shut up.

Errogie
05-Dec-12, 13:04
I'm sorry, I haven't got the patience for any more of this. Who or what are we talking about?

weezer 316
05-Dec-12, 21:48
Dozy,

As I am sure you have been told many times....your a slever.

Name the charity and who this commercial company were, and I shall recant my opinion and apologise.

Or dont.

ywindythesecond
05-Dec-12, 23:11
Ditto to the two comments above!
Quit playing games and just tell us who's put a bee in your bonnet lol
Can't stand half a story :roll:

Probably get barred for this dozy but the general consensus is

"Four letter word removed automatically by the magic that is the org" or get off the pot

Mrs Bucket
06-Dec-12, 09:35
I give to local charities only after all dont they say charity begins at home.

SK015
16-Dec-12, 08:29
Is this Pentland Housing in Thurso you are on about after seeing there accounts your figures match the percentage spent on wages.

sids
16-Dec-12, 09:13
Rubbish title for the thread.