PDA

View Full Version : Are AVG the good guys, or are they the bad guys?

Rangers1
30-Nov-12, 00:36
Last weekend, I was having a few beers with the lads..then the conversation suddenly changed from fit lassies to anti virus software..as it does.

What us boys were wondering, are AVG the good guys, or are AVG the bad guys?

For anti virus program publisher companies to make business, there must be virus' on your computer/network in the first place..

Really stuck here guys, give me your opinion :confused

fred
30-Nov-12, 01:00
Last weekend, I was having a few beers with the lads..then the conversation suddenly changed from fit lassies to anti virus software..as it does.

What us boys were wondering, are AVG the good guys, or are AVG the bad guys?

For anti virus program publisher companies to make business, there must be virus' on your computer/network in the first place..

Really stuck here guys, give me your opinion :confused

I prefer the viruses, they don't slow the computer down as much and they are easier to get rid of.

RecQuery
30-Nov-12, 01:22
They as with practically all other AV companies basically try to upsell you. They also use you as a means of collecting malware/viruses/etc for analysis to make their pay-for products better.

I dislike AV products and don't run them on any of my systems (well my personal systems, the ones only I will be using). Most AV/security programs lower performance by about 30%, not to mention the fact that they have bad engines, horribly optimised code and there's the odd update that breaks part of your operating system or completely blocks internet access. As I'm the only one using my system I lower the footprint of available services running, lockdown stuff I don't use and I know what's likely to be dangerous. Occasionally I'll run a one-time scan and I've yet to be hit by anything.

You can't come up with a technical solution to a people problem. Most infections are caused by users overriding any resident security software after being enticed into opening an e-mail or attachment or after downloading some dodgy piece of software or visiting a dodgy site. I'm sometimes tempted to give people a guide on where to safely get the stuff they were looking for as unless it's particularly challenging or a new strain I find malware removal boring.

If I was pushed to recommend one it would be Kaspersky (http://www.kaspersky.co.uk/). Avoid anything by Symantec, it's where formerly good products go to die and Norton is so bad you need a separate utility to properly remove it.

bluechesse
30-Nov-12, 19:07
RecQuery, Thats great advice for those, like your self, who have fairly advanced computer skills. Personally I would not have a clue how to go about lovering my services footprint. I often lock down things I dont use, but it generally involves a chain and a padlock. Im sure malware removal does bore you, but I wouldn't have a clue where to find it, let alone get it out.

I've tried a few AV programs, and I do agree that kaspersky seems to be the best. On the basis that is seems to slow down my PC less that the others I've tried, and, when I use my portable HD at work and fill it with all the nasty crap on the network there, it seems to find a lot more than AGV or Norton ever did. My work use Mcaphee, really dont understand why as it would appear to be about as effective at removing viruses as I am.

Orelan
30-Nov-12, 19:48
I personally use Avast AV, Malwarebytes and CCleaner for my computer's health and well-being.
I also use Firefox with Adblock and Noscript.

The best anti-virus is knowing what you're doing while browsing the internet.
Take care on shady sites and know what it is you're downloading.

smithp
30-Nov-12, 21:59
My opinion is you should spend more time thinking about women than computers.

Shaggy
30-Nov-12, 22:51
nah, last time i caught a virus off a woman, no amount of software would shift it! [lol]

Kodiak
30-Nov-12, 22:59
I use Panda Software and at £12 a Year for 3 Computers it is a bargain.:Razz

ducati
01-Dec-12, 10:22
I use SNP Anti-Panda software. It's great but it doesn't keep Firefoxes off.:confused