PDA

View Full Version : Northern Lights

Lolabelle
19-Dec-06, 14:18
I was looking at the pictures of the Aurora on the org and thought how amazing it was. Then I looked it up on the net and found we have the southern lights down here, and that they apparently happen similtaneously in the northern and southern hemisphere. Its a shame that it's light here when it's dark there, or I could watch them when you are all watching yours.
Just a thought.
And they really are beautiful.

Tymey
19-Dec-06, 14:28
Yes they are called the aurora australis.

Lolabelle
19-Dec-06, 14:32
I know, but is funny that I had never heard of them in the southern hemisphere until tonight. I knew we had the Min min lights, but I was under the impression they were more like balls of light that travelled across the plains and open country in the Northern Territory.

garycs
19-Dec-06, 14:53
Not sure, but I would have thought Aurora Australis to be a very rare occurence actually in Australia. You're quite a long way north, i.e. NSW is only at about 34 degrees south, whereas Caithness is around 59 degrees North and here it isn't a nightly or even weekly event.

Latitude is the over-riding factor when it comes to frequent Aurora displays

topotheuk
20-Dec-06, 23:13
So who's all watching em enite then? They look a white-ish colour tonight, but very effective.

Naefearjustbeer
20-Dec-06, 23:26
So who's all watching em enite then? They look a white-ish colour tonight, but very effective.

I have been out watching them Very impressive tonight lots of shimmering colours

porshiepoo
20-Dec-06, 23:37
Not so much as shimmer here in Lybster :(

may67
20-Dec-06, 23:49
Just been out for a look......cant see anything, so managed to fall over plant pot in the dark..:lol:
However did c a shooting star, so made a:( wish......yipee

Tugmistress
21-Dec-06, 00:09
Could see them white with a hint of green here, i love watching them :D

gollach
21-Dec-06, 00:12
Lovely green colour tonight. Pulled over by Loch Watten to watch them.

porshiepoo
21-Dec-06, 00:37
Well ain't that just sods law? All the time we've been here and I ain't seen em once. :(

engiebenjy
21-Dec-06, 00:39
Well ain't that just sods law? All the time we've been here and I ain't seen em once. :(

Know the feeling. My neighbours must think im mad wandering around outside on frosty nights!! (Yes, I know that you've much less chance of seeing them in town, but am I supposed to wake up 2 small people, stick them in the car and go borealis chasing?)

Lolabelle
21-Dec-06, 04:28
Not sure, but I would have thought Aurora Australis to be a very rare occurence actually in Australia. You're quite a long way north, i.e. NSW is only at about 34 degrees south, whereas Caithness is around 59 degrees North and here it isn't a nightly or even weekly event.

Latitude is the over-riding factor when it comes to frequent Aurora displays

Yeah, the pictures I have seen of them are taken from New Zealand and Tasmania all a lot further south than me.
But the min min lights are in the Northern Territory and are quite different.
I will have to look up what they are meteorigically.:eek:

topotheuk
21-Dec-06, 11:30
Know the feeling. My neighbours must think im mad wandering around outside on frosty nights!! (Yes, I know that you've much less chance of seeing them in town, but am I supposed to wake up 2 small people, stick them in the car and go borealis chasing?)

The first year we were here, I woke up my son (then 3), daughter (then 8), my mum (who was visiting) and my two nephews, got them in the car in their jammies with a blanket wrapped round them and drove them down to the beach to see them. They loved it. It was only around midnight, so not too bad. We are now in the country and I am so lucky I can just look out my window and watch them in all their glory.

young_fishin_neep
21-Dec-06, 13:48
Could see them white with a hint of green here, i love watching them :D

aye an you wouldna have seen em if i hadnt shouted you, shame you didnt get the camera out in time, gota say they were amazing, been here a few years now and never saw em until last night, i dont think ive been so excited over something natural, glad i had to take the bin down the lane last night, even though it was freezing it was worth it :D

kaz xxx