PDA

View Full Version : The Trouble with Atheism

Saveman
19-Dec-06, 14:00
Did anyone see this program last night?

It said that the theory of the "multiverse" was the last hideout for the atheist. It showed how some fundamentalist atheists demonstrate the same zeal and arrogance of the very religions they seek to eradicate.

And how Atheism requires some faith from its believers.....

Fascinating stuff, I was amazed at one scientist who claimed that all scientist who believed in a creator were only half-scientists, he looked really angry as well.....poor fella.....

Tymey
19-Dec-06, 14:04
Fascinating stuff, I was amazed at one scientist who claimed that all scientist who believed in a creator were only half-scientists, he looked really angry as well.....poor fella.....

Really angry eh? Sounds like fanaticism to me...

Through
19-Dec-06, 14:36
When you look at some of the constants there are in the laws of physics in particular and science in general and see how finely tuned they are and realise how different the universe would be if they were just ever so slightly different or perhaps the universe couldn't exist at all with that tiny little tweak, you wonder how there could not be a God to have done all of this.

Saveman
19-Dec-06, 14:43
When you look at some of the constants there are in the laws of physics in particular and science in general and see how finely tuned they are and realise how different the universe would be if they were just ever so slightly different or perhaps the universe couldn't exist at all with that tiny little tweak, you wonder how there could not be a God to have done all of this.

Yeah that's exactly what they were saying. But smarter people than you or I believe we live in a multiverse.......don't get me wrong, I love sci fi....but a multiverse? :lol:

JAWS
19-Dec-06, 14:57
No, you've got it all wrong. The universe and everything in it was just a constant stream of countless random coincidences which just, by pure coincidence, just happened to turn out perfectly, coincidentally. [lol]

Sounds like I missed a really good programme.

Through
19-Dec-06, 15:00
No, you've got it all wrong. The universe and everything in it was just a constant stream of countless random coincidences which just, by pure coincidence, just happened to turn out perfectly, coincidentally. [lol]

Sounds like I missed a really good programme.

Ha ha! I hope you just realised that what you've said is a good argument. It is not impossible the universe just happened like this exactly because it's the only way it could. It is absolutely amazing how things that might possibly happen (if, if, if) do just exactly that.

Was that an accidental Jaws, or did you mean it?

JAWS
19-Dec-06, 15:15
I am a great believer in Entropy. All things being equal if things are left to their own devices then order will always descend into chaos.

I've seen buildings fall to pieces of their own accord but I have yet to see one build itself without outside assistance.
If something as minor as that doesn't happen without help then why would I think far more massive and complicated things happen just on their own?

Cattach
19-Dec-06, 15:42

He was probably spot. Did not see this programme but Multiverse theory has lot to commend it but the waters need not be muddied by the introduction of atheism into the argument.

mums angels
19-Dec-06, 16:20

It said that the theory of the "multiverse" was the last hideout for the atheist. It showed how some fundamentalist atheists demonstrate the same zeal and arrogance of the very religions they seek to eradicate.

My Dad was a scientist and he's also a very religious man, really don't see why that would only make him a half scientist!!! Big Bang or Adam and Eve, both are impossible to prove if you ask me! :)

Rheghead
19-Dec-06, 16:33

There is a Creator, It is called the Universe.

Through
19-Dec-06, 17:29
My Dad was a scientist and he's also a very religious man, really don't see why that would only make him a half scientist!!! Big Bang or Adam and Eve, both are impossible to prove if you ask me! :)

Well, the DNA peeps say they have proven that we can be traced back to a single female.

Ricco
19-Dec-06, 17:41
Personally, I believe in the theory of probability and a cup of tea. lol;)

fred
19-Dec-06, 18:00
Personally, I believe in the theory of probability and a cup of tea. lol;)

I eternity there is no probability, only certainty and impossibility.

If time and space are infinite then anything that can happen will happen an infinite number of times.

Saveman
19-Dec-06, 18:34
I eternity there is no probability, only certainty and impossibility.

If time and space are infinite then anything that can happen will happen an infinite number of times.

Or if time and space are infinite then everything that might happen doesn't happen ever.

....don't ask me to explain it.....

canuck
19-Dec-06, 19:08
Life's too short to worry about looking foolish. I'll bite on this one.

Saveman, what is "multiverse"?

Saveman
19-Dec-06, 19:18
It's the theory that our universe is only one of an infinite number of universes each having their own laws of physics and that our universe just happens to be the one with the fine tuning to allow for the development of life.

WOW.....that's a long sentence! ;)