PDA

View Full Version : Ipswich murders - CNN Post a pic

grantyg
18-Dec-06, 17:16
Well as it gets annouched in the UK that at 7 am they arrest a man CNN then write an article including pic...........

http://www.cnn.com/2006/WORLD/europe/12/18/uk.prostitute/index.html?eref=rss_topstories

I hope for their sake that they are right or that will be a huge legal case.

http://viewmorepics.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=viewImage&friendID=85784962&imageID=834473571

http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user.viewprofile&friendid=85784962&MyToken=a91162e6-3743-4ef6-8bea-c4fa4863633f

Okay so BBC have announced it too

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/suffolk/6189409.stm

_Ju_
18-Dec-06, 18:01

Can anyone tell me if what I am thinking is wrong???I was under the impression that police cannot be sued for wrongful arrest unless it was done maliciously (for example, manipulation of evidence to suit a certain suspect, etc). Afterall not all criminals are found guilty and not all arrested are guilty, yet courts are not full of libel suits against them. If the police force were to be potecially libel for every arrest in error, they wouldn't be able to do their work freely.

grantyg
18-Dec-06, 18:50
I was more on about the fact that the media make the guy look guilty and until it goes to court he isn`t - what i meant was what if this is the wrong man not what if the police have arrested the wrong man.

Boozeburglar
18-Dec-06, 19:17
There is little chance of him getting an untainted jury, that is more the problem.

j4bberw0ck
18-Dec-06, 19:20

I doubt it. CNN got the name from a Sunday Mirror article based on an interview with the guy; he'll have signed all kinds of disclaimers before the Mirror would publish anything. And how did the Mirror come to interview him? Did he approach them?

The question is whether all the media attention and in particular the Mirror article will be held to prejudice his right to a fair trial. If it is, and the case is thrown out, watch the Mirror whip up a storm to disguise their own part in it; probably including releasing his address "in the public interest" so a lynch mob can have him.

Through
18-Dec-06, 22:08
It's well past time that the justice system in the UK did something about the way the media behave. If one of the papers hadn't gotten to him, presumable CNN would not have had anything to go on.

grantyg
18-Dec-06, 22:56
it would be a whole different matter if there was a death penalty - now theres a thread to start!

Cedric Farthsbottom III
18-Dec-06, 23:00
There was a BBC News Special the other night about the Murders.I wonder if they got a call out who it was,but wanted a little more information to justify the arrest.

MadPict
18-Dec-06, 23:04
What happened to the concept of having a trial to see if you're guilty? This guy apparently gave an interview to the BBC about his liaisons with these girls. How does the BBC not know he might just be an attention seeker and might have no connection to their murders at all?

I mean who in the right mind would admit to 'using' the 'services' of these girls? And to the press? Not the killer I would wager. An attention seeker maybe.

Now he is known to all and sundry. The press camped outside his home. I have to say I am getting fed up with the TV coverage on this case. Have the BBC appointed themselves as Judge, Jury and Executioner?

The murders are disturbing for those in the area and I expect that Blair is grateful that the pressure is off him for a while...
First ever PM to be interviewed by the law....

jinglejangle
18-Dec-06, 23:08
What happened to the concept of having a trial to see if you're guilty? This guy apparently gave an interview to the BBC about his liaisons with these girls. How does the BBC not know he might just be an attention seeker and might have no connection to their murders at all?

I mean who in the right mind would admit to 'using' the 'services' of these girls? And to the press? Not the killer I would wager. An attention seeker maybe.

Now he is known to all and sundry. The press camped outside his home. I have to say I am getting fed up with the TV coverage on this case. Have the BBC appointed themselves as Judge, Jury and Executioner?

The murders are disturbing for those in the area and I expect that Blair is grateful that the pressure is off him for a while...
First ever PM to be interviewed by the law....

could well be an attention seeker but i have noticed in several well published murder investigations the murderer takes an active interest in what is happening and likes to get in the middle of things ... such as Ian Huntely being interviewed by the press prior to his arrest - Maxine Carr also. also i have heard with some cases the murderer being involved in searches for the victims etc. :~(

i do think there is too much information given by the press in some of these cases though eg when these girls were found the press was saying things like the murderer must be forensically aware because he has removed their clothing and 'dumped' their bodies in water to remove evidence - thanks for highlighting that fact to the next potential murderer!

Cedric Farthsbottom III
18-Dec-06, 23:13
To put a picture on a report to me,is to say that some insider in the case has said that they have got concrete evidence that they have got their man.Now I know their have been some major injusticies,In the Name of the Father ain't one o' ma favourite films for nothin.But to put the guys picture up means two things,they have got their guy,or someone has made one major boo-boo.

MadPict
19-Dec-06, 00:42
jinglejangle,
Very true - murderers are becoming more brazen. Seems this guy was also a 'special constable' so maybe he used his knowledge to cover his tracks? So why then leave a trail with the beeb?

This also raises the question of a fair and successful trial if he is charged. This is all over the news - it is on every night and so trying to find a jury which has not been exposed to the press coverage is not going to be easy...

j4bberw0ck
19-Dec-06, 09:46
jinglejangle,
Very true - murderers are becoming more brazen. Seems this guy was also a 'special constable' so maybe he used his knowledge to cover his tracks? So why then leave a trail with the beeb?

And if you'll forgive my saying so, statements like this one are the reason why, if charged, his defence team will be able to argue a fair trial is impossible! :lol:

MadPict
19-Dec-06, 11:48
Merely responding to jinglejangles point "i have noticed in several well published murder investigations the murderer takes an active interest in what is happening and likes to get in the middle of things".

The news said he was an ex hobby bobby, so I don't feel any responsibility for making that common knowledge. I just think it strange that if "the murderer must be forensically aware " he would give interviews to the Beeb.....

But then who knows....

EDDIE
19-Dec-06, 14:17
They say in 95% of murder cases the victim already knows murderer its a weird fact