PDA

View Full Version : Death by Cricket

Errogie
18-Dec-06, 13:12
At the night out Gleeber departed saying he had to get home to see the Ashes match on t.v. or perhaps it was the company but then I realised that I'd missed an opportunity to ask him a question which has troubled me for many years.

Why is that when someone hits a mighty shot out of the ground or into the stands that more people are not killed or injured? I seemed to spend my childhood avoiding dangerous missiles in ball games and the potential to be maimed or disfigured by a hard shelled cricket ball at the Dammies where we played was one of the most frightening. I finally gave up all such sporting activity due to hopelessly uncordinated limb to eye movements and although I don't consciously follow it any more still have a sort of dreadful fascination with the game.

And then there's that great definition of cricket. "The only sport which shares it's name with an insect and is designed to make all other human activity appear fascinating or interesting!"

Saveman
18-Dec-06, 14:29
Usually the crowd are paying attention to the game and so they see the ball coming and attempt to catch it.

Sometimes they don't. Sometimes people get injured. But it's rare.

Through
18-Dec-06, 14:37
I have no faint clue about anything related to cricket. However, I was surprised to learn that the worst sport of all for injuries is baseball. I thought that was the same thing as cricket, near enough.

George Brims
18-Dec-06, 23:39
Baseball (which is only not the most boring game in the world because of cricket) is more dangerous because the ball is bigger and heavier but about as hard as a cricket ball, and also because the players will slide feet-first into the bases to avoid being out. There are some horrific videos of people turning their ankles inside-out doing that.

Saveman
18-Dec-06, 23:50
It's not boring when you're batting and there's a cricket ball coming at you at 90mph, with a bowler that seems intent on causing real damage......it's great fun! :D

Cedric Farthsbottom III
18-Dec-06, 23:56
Sorry I shouldnae be postin on this thread,but I have to stick up for the non-cricket fans.Its soooooooo boring.What is the point to this game.At least wi baseball,the American studios pan to the wee guy on the crowd picking his nose and eating it.Wi the cricket pan to the crowd and ye see a guy sayin to his partner dae ye really think I should have wore this bowler hat!!!!! :lol: :lol:

Saveman
18-Dec-06, 23:58
Doesn't anyone else like cricket? :confused:

canuck
19-Dec-06, 01:08
Saveman, I love baseball. It sounds like it is awfully close to cricket. But the games take about 3 hours, not 3 days.

I thought that the injury discussion was on the issue of spectators getting hurt. Many fans carry their gloves with them to the game to catch these errant balls. Not only do baseballs leave the field at great speed, but so do bats, or pieces of bat, from time to time. Longer than balls, they have the potential to involve several people at one go.

As for projectiles into the crowd, there are always the rubber bullets known as ice hockey pucks. Modern rinks have protective glass walls to keep the crowds safe.

Now what has this got to do with gleeber leaving the party before Errogie?

JAWS
19-Dec-06, 02:58
Ice Hockey? Only ever seen it on TV. That wee thing they bash to death, do I feel sorry for it. It dashes into the net to get away from the bullies that I never even see it move! :lol: Even in Slow Motion it's still a blur. Can you see the puck any better when it's live, canuck? I've often wondered.

For the non-cricket people, try listening to it on the radio instead of watching it. Due to the constant periods of inactivity, if there's a pair of good commentators, forget the cricket, they can be better than most comedy acts with little non-cricket quips and observations.

canuck
19-Dec-06, 03:15
Ice Hockey? Only ever seen it on TV. That wee thing they bash to death, do I feel sorry for it. It dashes into the net to get away from the bullies that I never even see it move! :lol: Even in Slow Motion it's still a blur. Can you see the puck any better when it's live, canuck? I've often wondered.

No, it is about the same. It is an acquired skill to be able to actually see the puck as it whizzes across the ice. Frosty cold air helps keep the sightlines clear. What you learn to do is watch for where the puck is going to be. That is the skill for playing the game as well. But this is getting way off the topic and I don't want the thread closed before the original question gets answered.

So gleeber, I'll stop taking up your air time here. Please explain to Errogie about cricket and we shall all listen.

Cedric Farthsbottom III
19-Dec-06, 03:18

For the non-cricket people, try listening to it on the radio instead of watching it. Due to the constant periods of inactivity, if there's a pair of good commentators, forget the cricket, they can be better than most comedy acts with little non-cricket quips and observations.

Listening to cricket on the radio?Jaws man wit are ye trying to dae to me.

Heres ma draft.Listened to an Auld Firm game on the radio.Finished 2-2.The way the commentators described it on the radio ye would have thought it was World War II.Finished listening to it on the radio and said "What a Game,Best Ever!!!!"What did I do next,watched it on bloody Scotsport on the Monday night.Wit a boring game it was,no excitement at all except for the 4 goals.Cricket has its fans,if ye like it on yersels.

I hate cricket.Its boring.Its a game thats played on Village Greens and ye have tea and custard creams noo and again.While ma days were 30 guys,15 guys in a team playin fitbaw on a Sunday afternoon,the score was Scotland 23 Brazil 21.The whole afternoon wi the sweat flowin off yer heid.Then ye would go hame for yer mince and tatties,then go back to the park for a game o' headie kick.

Its to do wi culture.If I'd turned to the boys in ayrshire and asked them for a game of cricket,they would have said,"Is your name Davydd?"

gleeber
19-Dec-06, 09:27
There are 1 or 2 cricket lovers in Caithness. One of them died 10 years ago from too much alcohol. As far as I know he was never hit by a cricket ball in his life.
I have no idea why so many people dont like cricket. Maybe it has something to do with the maths of the game. Is it 1 wicket for 2 or 2 wickets for 1. Was it a googly delivered by spinner or a yorker hurled by a medium fast bowler? Was it a nick or was it the silly point fielder breaking wind?
Famous commentary outakes on TMS (test match special on radio 4) include, the bowlers Holding the batsmans Willey and Willey bowled Lillie caught Dilley.

Tymey
19-Dec-06, 11:22
Willey bowled Lillie caught Dilley.

Think that one is untrue - Willey played Test Cricket for England, Lillee for Australia but Dilley played for England so he wouldn't have caught his own team mate....

Scotland's leading wicket taker lived in Wick, sadly he died a few years ago. He played for Warwickshire too.

Cricket is as boring as any other sport...when you don't know what is going on.

Why not have a look at Twenty20 or One Day Internationals if you want something a bit more frenetic.

Scotland have qualified for the 2007 Cricket world Cup in the West Indies...

golach
19-Dec-06, 11:30
The Rules of Cricket
as Explained to a foreign visitor
You have two sides, one out in the field and one in.
Each man that's in the side that's in, goes out, and when he's out, he comes in and the next man goes in until he's out.
When they are all out the side that's out comes in and the side that's been in goes out and tries to get those coming in out.
Sometimes you get men still in and not out.
When both sides have been in and out including the not-outs, that's the end of the game.

Howzat?

Tymey
19-Dec-06, 11:45
Not out....I think.

Errogie
19-Dec-06, 12:18
It's been very interesting to follow the various different reactions to spectator sports on t.v.

I have to admitt to occaisionaly watching motor sport in the same mode as one of these police car chase programmes where you're just waiting for the ultimate carnage and the bad guy getting hauled out by gun toting law enforcers. Tennis is great since we got sky and the screen is no longer filled with white dots but are we braver in the U.K. because our rugby players don't wear body armour and shinty (the fore runner of ice hockey) has only recently seen helmets adopted by some players as indeed has cricket?

No, the greatest non sporting event has got to be a televised darts match. Now if they were throwing darts at a revoving board with a scantily clad lady affixed to it that would be entertainment!

Through
19-Dec-06, 13:54
It's not boring when you're batting and there's a cricket ball coming at you at 90mph, with a bowler that seems intent on causing real damage......it's great fun! :D

It sure is boring to watch. Tried it a few times. Nothing seems to happen for ages and ages. Except for when the likes of Dom Cork start trying to cheat and the ref warns him over and over, but he just keeps doing it anyway (he's prolly retired now anyway).

Lolabelle
19-Dec-06, 14:00
Doesn't anyone else like cricket? :confused:
Saveman, I love cricket, the tests the one dayers, all of it. I love to lay on the lounge and watch it on a stinking hot summer day. I even listen to it on the radio. Much to Dave's disgust. He hates it on the radio but loves to watch it on the telly. Cricket means summer to me and I love summer.:lol:

garycs
19-Dec-06, 14:19
Cricket is like any sport, if you've played it yourself you appreciate just how good the professionals really are which provides interest in itself, but because it isn't played in schools (at least not in many, even in England) few folk actually take the trouble to join a club and have a go. For the same reason I find football incredibly boring as I've never played it and have no understanding of it.

Regarding injuries, I had a cricket coach who said if you were attempting to catch a ball above chest height you should place your head so that you caught the ball about 6" in front of your face, apparently this gives you an incentive not to miss!!

There was shinty final on the tv a couple of months ago, I can't remember who was playing but one of the goalkeepers headed the ball to keep it out, I'm guessing it hurt! I don't know what the ball is made of but it sounds like a cricket ball when they hit it.

Geo
19-Dec-06, 20:41
The Rules of Cricket
as Explained to a foreign visitor
You have two sides, one out in the field and one in.
Each man that's in the side that's in, goes out, and when he's out, he comes in and the next man goes in until he's out.
When they are all out the side that's out comes in and the side that's been in goes out and tries to get those coming in out.
Sometimes you get men still in and not out.
When both sides have been in and out including the not-outs, that's the end of the game.

Howzat?

Fantastic! Tried to give some positive rep on that but it won't let me.

steeko
14-Mar-07, 18:10
I dont particularly enjoy watching cricket on telly, the odd highlights is ok, but its a fun game to play as long as the ball doesnt smack you in the face!

The_man_from_del_monte
14-Mar-07, 18:17
I must be way unlucky!......... Played cricket at school and twice had a ball bowled straight onto me goolies :eek: When I was fielding I had a ball whack me on the back of the head (causing a large bump) and when I was wicket keeping was smashed on the ear with a cricket bat..... I never really liked playing that game :(

Cattach
14-Mar-07, 19:31
Baseball (which is only not the most boring game in the world because of cricket) is more dangerous because the ball is bigger and heavier but about as hard as a cricket ball, and also because the players will slide feet-first into the bases to avoid being out. There are some horrific videos of people turning their ankles inside-out doing that.

I thought that the injuries in basebell were because it was a game played by wimps - Rounders with potection I believe. Just as America Football is Rugby with armour.

Blazing Sporrans
14-Mar-07, 22:14
I'm obviously in the minority here - but here goes - I LOVE cricket! I'll happily sit and watch Twenty20 or the one-dayers for a bit more entertainment, however I'll also happily sit and watch all five days of a test match, plus the highlights later! I don't know what it is about the game but I'm hooked. I played at Highland in Inverness for many a year and miss the game terribly living up here now <sigh>. I'll agree with a couple of the preceding comments - you definitely appreciate the game more if you've played it yourself and some of the TMS commentaries not involving play (usually a Dundee cake that Mrs Bloggs from Eccles has sent in) are legendary. Ah ...... happy days indeed.

JimH
14-Mar-07, 23:28
If you have played cricket, and have come to understand the game, you will find a good match worth the watching, and enjoy it. Two good teams - with two good Captains will keep you on the edge of your seat. Like all sports, there are good and bad - and bad can be really boring to watch.
Those that think it is tea and bikkies on a Sunday afternoon should pad up, and face a fast bowler intent on doing you bodily harm.
Oh yes, spectators do get hurt if they are not paying attention.

steeko
15-Mar-07, 15:13
[QUOTE=JimH;201609] Like all sports, there are good and bad - and bad can be really boring to watch.

i agree with you there. I like football, but a lot of the time its very poor quality.

Angela
15-Mar-07, 17:36
I thought cricket was the most boring, pointless thing on the planet until someone explained the rules to me....:D

...and ever since, I've loved watching it or listening to the commentary.

It's just like life...slow bits where not much happens, dull bits where you just plod on, bits where something exciting almost happens but doesn't quite...
and then really exciting moments...

Well I think so anyway!:lol: