PDA

View Full Version : travel to Inverness on December 26

achastle
21-Nov-12, 17:07
I've just discovered that there's no bus service from Wick on Dec. 26. I have a relative who needs to be in Inverness that day to catch a flight to Amsterdam. I'm a non driving senior, other than a taxi, anyone got any other ideas on how to get down there? What would be a taxi fare? Thanks for any sensible suggestions.

*Martin*
21-Nov-12, 17:43
Since there are no trains on that day he/she will have to try and get a lift from a friend or relative!

I imagine a taxi will be well over £150.

Does he/she have a contingency plan for if the weather is too bad for car?

dousslesh
21-Nov-12, 18:27
Had to get a taxi from Inverness train station to just outside Lybster ( train company paid !) The cost was £180. Worth bearing in mind that Dec 26th will probably be charged at a higher rate.

rich62_uk
21-Nov-12, 18:56
Might be cheaper to change the flight ...

Kodiak
21-Nov-12, 19:21
I agree it would be a lot cheaper to change the flight as on the 26th Dec the Taxi fare could be 3 times to normal rate and could be anything from £500 to £600. Silly amount of money but it is Boxing Day.

Does your friend drive, if so Hire a Car perhaps.

alistair harper
21-Nov-12, 19:59
I agree cheaper to change flight a taxi will cost you an arm and a leg also you dont state what time your friends flight is this will also be taken into account as if early roads could be icy and taxi drivers must look after them selves and no rush to get your friend to inverness airport.

cazmanian_minx
21-Nov-12, 20:42
What time is the flight? I'm catching the Easyjet flight to Bristol that day and will be driving down - but I'm in North Sutherland and would normally go straight down the strath, coming round via Wick would add nearly an hour to the journey. If you could get your relative to Helmsdale, I could meet him/her there if the times match up.

Alrock
21-Nov-12, 20:48
I'll give your relative a lift for £150

achastle
22-Nov-12, 09:52
ticket now changed and bus trip booked. thanks for the replies.