PDA

View Full Version : jobcentre

compo
18-Dec-06, 09:26
government planing to get tough on those that can work but wont work. aparemtly over the last two years there have been six hundred thousand migrant workers come to the uk to work. and the government want to know why our unemployed cant get work. mmm could it be that the wages on offer are derisery and humiliating and the fact that a lot of these jobs leave you worse off so a lot of people wont even apply also if after 3 months on benifit you are forced to take any old job. also when places like tesco open they are forced top take on a certain amout of nohopers the jobcentre cant get rid of in the case of wick store i think the number was 40 unemployed and the same number of disabled. i think if the gov want to solvre this problem they should have made the minimum wage the same as the rest of the eu but no not us less then the rest is what we got.. any way i guess its a lot more complicated than it seems but as usual the genuine cases will feel the back lash.

EDDIE
18-Dec-06, 10:05
government planing to get tough on those that can work but wont work. aparemtly over the last two years there have been six hundred thousand migrant workers come to the uk to work. and the government want to know why our unemployed cant get work. mmm could it be that the wages on offer are derisery and humiliating and the fact that a lot of these jobs leave you worse off so a lot of people wont even apply also if after 3 months on benifit you are forced to take any old job. also when places like tesco open they are forced top take on a certain amout of nohopers the jobcentre cant get rid of in the case of wick store i think the number was 40 unemployed and the same number of disabled. i think if the gov want to solvre this problem they should have made the minimum wage the same as the rest of the eu but no not us less then the rest is what we got.. any way i guess its a lot more complicated than it seems but as usual the genuine cases will feel the back lash.
There will always be a certain percentage that genuinally dont want work what annoys me most the percentage will be living in 3 bedroom semi council house paid by us and the working person will be living in 2 bedroom council flat which his family has outgrown and cant get a 3 bedroom semi.
And there will be a certain pertage of people that are classed as disabled that find it hard to get work and want to work it and it would be nice to see business takeing on more disable people its something u dont see a lot
If you up the minuim wage to much its not healthy because there would be no incentive doing a job thats more technical if u can get a dossy job which is much the same
I hate to say it but i think they should bring back national service back and i think it would do the younger generation a power of good with there onlook and attitude to life sometime the old ways are the best in this day and age there is to much do gooders making life to easy for people to flaunt the system

Through
18-Dec-06, 14:59
Yeah, national service; I'm too old for that now!

The problem with a high minimum wage is that it requires the organisation that is expected to pay it to bring in a higher income of it's own. This is at odds with all of us, who expect to pay less and less for everything. We can't have both.

Those who are able, go abroad to better themselves. The rest of us are left behind. However, we represent a step up to people from other places, who come here to better themselves and who's to argue with that?

Working life is a bitch and then you retire and very shortly thereafter expire.

Oh, and Merry Christmas everyone!

jim shoe
18-Dec-06, 15:20
Hello plimsole here

what a pleasant change to see a board where all ill disabled unemployed people are not tarred with the same lazy brush.

I myself left school at seventeen and worked for 21 years not a days illness

then as the work i did was mentally a physically challenging i took not well and fought it every step of the way, until i took a severe nervous break down and i am still recovering four years on.

I must admit initially with medicals ect, i was a wreck

then i have family members telling me to pull my socks up

and then worse was to come i was made to feel a fraud and a scrounger

no one appeared to take into account the fact that as i was in a well paid job, i had paid thousands in tax ect

In all this time i must admit the girls at the job centre were excellent

it was people who had never worked in their lives who made me feel like this

and i guess my own foolish pride as well

although i am still ill, believe you me i work hard, i nurse my mum who has

cancer .

so thank you and merry christmas from a young woman whom you made feel slightly better about her ill status and her innability to work

ps my mum is entitled no nothing and i get nothing for caring for her thus is the system. And i prefer it that way

yes i agree if they want people to work pay them a decent wage

:~(

Fluff
18-Dec-06, 22:07
when i moved down here, i got a job straight away, but it was only temp work over xmas. i then didnt and couldne get another job for 9 months! in my interview of my current job, i said to my now boss no one will just gice me a chance. here i am just over a year later.

almost every job i applied for i got no reply to if i was successful. even after interviews they didnt let me know! its really hard when you are looking for work and they dont tell you if you were any good.

the jobcentre is no better. it took solong before i got any money. i couldnt even afford to get into town, or to buy food. you get so obsessed and depressed. its a horrible cycle.

i think employers should be more responsbile though. its to easy to get depressed and give up

sweetpea
18-Dec-06, 22:28
I think there is not the same work ethic in this country as the rest of eu and it sucks to try and get genuinely ill people jobs if they can't do them.

KILTIECAULDBUM
19-Dec-06, 03:04
I too have worked since I left school 26 years ago. In fact, I had a Saturday job when I was 14 till I left school.
Two years ago, while I had a well paid job with responsibility, I had an accident at work. I am now on disability, income support, feel totally useless & suffer from depression because of it all. I hate it & feel ashamed. My confidence & concentration etc. has all gone.
I thought things were looking up when I seen an advert for a part time job that I thought I could maybe manage if the employers were a little understanding. I called the Job Centre in Wick as I was told to at my recent interview, to see what they thought & to make sure I wouldn't be any worse off money wise. I didn't care if they took off what I would have earned because for me it would have given me back some pride & confidence & got me back on the path to recovery. I phoned the Job Centre twice in two days 8 weeks ago, & was told an "advisor" would phone me back!! I am still waiting, & the job has long gone along with my confidence etc. It took a lot for me to make those calls & I feel so let down & angry that even though they were aware of my problems & circumstances, they didn't even have the decency to call me back.
I then feel guilty when I read threads like this because I feel "tagged" along with the people who abuse the system. The ones who run around with 2 People carriers, 4 cars, have about 25 children, HD tv's, every benefit that is going, holidays, expensive dogs, etc. etc. etc. well maybe a little exageration there, but still, they are able to work & choose not to. I only wish I still had that "luxury of choice"
Hopefully someday I will get my life back & rejoin the land of the living. Until then, I will just have to put up with being "tarred with the brush" of the system users.
Anyway, that's my rant over hope it all makes sense!! I'm off to bed. Sorry for being so long winded.

EDDIE
19-Dec-06, 10:50
I too have worked since I left school 26 years ago. In fact, I had a Saturday job when I was 14 till I left school.
Two years ago, while I had a well paid job with responsibility, I had an accident at work. I am now on disability, income support, feel totally useless & suffer from depression because of it all. I hate it & feel ashamed. My confidence & concentration etc. has all gone.
I thought things were looking up when I seen an advert for a part time job that I thought I could maybe manage if the employers were a little understanding. I called the Job Centre in Wick as I was told to at my recent interview, to see what they thought & to make sure I wouldn't be any worse off money wise. I didn't care if they took off what I would have earned because for me it would have given me back some pride & confidence & got me back on the path to recovery. I phoned the Job Centre twice in two days 8 weeks ago, & was told an "advisor" would phone me back!! I am still waiting, & the job has long gone along with my confidence etc. It took a lot for me to make those calls & I feel so let down & angry that even though they were aware of my problems & circumstances, they didn't even have the decency to call me back.
I then feel guilty when I read threads like this because I feel "tagged" along with the people who abuse the system. The ones who run around with 2 People carriers, 4 cars, have about 25 children, HD tv's, every benefit that is going, holidays, expensive dogs, etc. etc. etc. well maybe a little exageration there, but still, they are able to work & choose not to. I only wish I still had that "luxury of choice"
Hopefully someday I will get my life back & rejoin the land of the living. Until then, I will just have to put up with being "tarred with the brush" of the system users.
Anyway, that's my rant over hope it all makes sense!! I'm off to bed. Sorry for being so long winded.

If you read my first post i never and wouldnt tarr a person with disabilty thats out of work im quite happy paying tax to support people that are unfortuntley disabled and would have no problem paying more to improve there quality of life i hate it when see people getting benifts when there clearly not interseted in working through there choice.
As i said before i thinks its terrible the business are not doing more to take on people with disabiltys and prity sure that there is a legal requirement to take on people that are disabled it goes by the number of employess the company got for every so many employees there must be a a certain number of employees with disabilty and thats law so i would imagine big companys like dounreay, vulcan,council or rolls royce or even the new tescos have a legal oblication to take on disabilty employees and if they havent got disabled employees its an arugable case.
Is there anyone else in this forum that can confirm what im saying is correct.
U should go down to the citizen bureu and find your rights about this or even start a thread of in this forum and get everyones views u would be suprised who reads this forums?
If your not working because you have a disabilty and are claiming benifits there is nothing to be ashamed about a disabilty could happen to anyone throughout there life thats what the benifits are for.

squidge
19-Dec-06, 10:56
Eddie

The quota system you are talking about stopped being used a few years ago. Whether the disability Discrimination act will help i dont know.

As for the JObcentre - that is truly shocking - write to the district manager and make an official complaint. They have cut staff and cut services so much its no longer about the people they help. I feel so sorry for the staff left to work in this department.