PDA

View Full Version : Idea's for Christmas Day Entertainment.

Emms
18-Dec-06, 00:38
I will be spending Christmas Day working in our residential home and am looking for idea's to make the day a little more special for our clients - many of whom will not receive any visitors or contact from their family members.

The clients all have mental health difficulties (mostly Paranoid Schizophrenia) and most also have difficulty with reading and writing. They tend to have a very short attention span which means that we can't undertake anything which is too long-winded or complex. What I am really looking for is idea's for games which are not too difficult, not too long or complicated, and not too childish (they definitely know when they are being patronized). Most of them are on strong medication - so definately no alcohol or drink-related games!.

Someone suggested Deal or No Deal (obviously filling the boxes with small prizes rather than thousands of pounds!), and we really like this idea.

Does anyone else have any suggestions which we could implement to make the day a little more fun-filled for our residents?. Your suggestions could make their day extra special - so please help.

pedromcgrory
18-Dec-06, 02:26
I will be spending Christmas Day working in our residential home and am looking for idea's to make the day a little more special for our clients - many of whom will not receive any visitors or contact from their family members.

The clients all have mental health difficulties (mostly Paranoid Schizophrenia) and most also have difficulty with reading and writing. They tend to have a very short attention span which means that we can't undertake anything which is too long-winded or complex. What I am really looking for is idea's for games which are not too difficult, not too long or complicated, and not too childish (they definitely know when they are being patronized). Most of them are on strong medication - so definately no alcohol or drink-related games!.

Someone suggested Deal or No Deal (obviously filling the boxes with small prizes rather than thousands of pounds!), and we really like this idea.

Does anyone else have any suggestions which we could implement to make the day a little more fun-filled for our residents?. Your suggestions could make their day extra special - so please help.
ask them all wot would be good to do this year then put on paper ,and take a vote on wots good and liked with everyone etc, just an idea

sassylass
18-Dec-06, 03:49
How about singing karaoke or charades, that's always fun.

Through
18-Dec-06, 15:02
I like Pedro's idea. Ask the people what they want. Perhaps there are local bands or whatever that would like to do a turn. What entertainment do you use at other times and why is it different at Christmas?

the charlatans
18-Dec-06, 20:06
Hows about skittles, using cans or juice bottles and balled up socks for cheapness. Play dough Pictionary (instead of drawing use play dough) and pin the tail on the donkey.

i'm stealing these ideas from my pal who had these last Christmas day only they had something a bit different - they used Jordan's assets and well you adults can guess what they had to pin. And they used beer cans. they had a rare old time and they don't take much effort to set up or explain.

remember, the oldies are the best. hope you have fun and merry christmas.

fred
18-Dec-06, 21:21

You could play Dustman's Knock.

Emms
18-Dec-06, 21:42
Thanks everyone there's some really good idea's here - I particularly like the idea of the 'skittles' and 'pin the tail' being made more 'adult'. Karaoke is also good fun and something we can all join in (pity the poor neighbors). What is Dustman's knock?.

We did ask the residents what they wanted but were met with 'not bothered' or 'you choose'. Unfortunately, a classic symptom of Schizophrenia is lack of motivation and indecisiveness - but they will join in on the day and have a good time (if it's the last thing I do, lol).

Thanks again.

fred
18-Dec-06, 22:54
What is Dustman's knock?.

It's like Postman's Knock only dirtier.

Emms
18-Dec-06, 22:57
It's like Postman's Knock only dirtier.

Fred you are very naughty - I don't know who would be more embarrassed; the residents or the staff!. Will pass on that one I think, lol.