PDA

View Full Version : Is It a Good Idea to Return Lynxs to the Wild?

M Swanson
19-Nov-12, 00:02
On 'Countryfile,' experts were discussing the possibility of releasing European Lynxs to the wild, which is their natural habitat. The Cairngorms National Park and Glenfeshie have been mentioned as suitable sites. These are beautiful creatures, but not everyone agrees with the action. They live to hunt, but whilst this can be useful in naturally culling some animals, like foxes and roe deers, they would also kill lambs, chickens, etc., which would present a major problem to farmers. Although there are no records of attacks on humans, care needs to be taken because they're very territorial. I would think there's an ecological and moral case for releasing them, but I can understand the concerns of others. How would you vote?

Kenn
19-Nov-12, 00:11
Would love to think they could be re-introduced and there are possibly a few areas that it might work but there would have to be stringent controls in place so that they would not cause grevious losses to farmers.
Taking every thing into account I think I would just be tipped onto the give it a try side of the scales.

joxville
19-Nov-12, 00:42
As much as I like to see animals in their natural environment, I'm against this idea. They've not been a natural species in Scotland for a long time, (were they ever, I didn't watch the show?), and as usual with the environmentalist/conservationist people that think they are doing good, years down the line they find out they got it wrong and have introduced a pest or and unknown disease to the region. Also, as a geocacher who traipses fields a lot I'd hate to accidentally stumble upon a lynx's territory, the situation would be even worse if it was a family out with their kids.

Southern-Gal
19-Nov-12, 10:25
Would be a lovely idea to see them in the wild but the reality of finding your full grown sheep taken regularly would be off putting. If they can take roe deer then sheep would be an easy target. The idea of foxes having a natural predator again is very inviting. And all the feral cats would be cleared up or reduced but the real Scottish Wild Cat would also likely suffer and they are already struggling so I dont know!
The gamekeeper was right though, someone should have the authority to shoot nuisance ones.
Because there are no real wild ones and the ones they would release would be captive bred and fed on chickens hanging from a rope or chopped up meat then they would not be releasing skilled hunters but opportunists and they would prey on farm stock.
Probably a lovely idea best kept as an idea.

M Swanson
19-Nov-12, 13:13
A farmer who was interviewed was in favour of releasing the lynx, but with the proviso that they could take appropriate action if the need arose. Apparently, this animal became extinct in Britain, 500 years ago and are now bred in a controlled environment. My first concern was any harm they posed to people, but there are no reports of attacks in Switzerland, France, Germany, or Poland where they have been returned to the wild. As they're wild animals I would assume that they can be unpredictable and would need to be treated with utmost respect. In America, they're considered to be very shy of humans and tend to limit their hunting raids to the night. It's considered that the only real threat they pose is if they are rabid. I like Lizz's idea of giving the scheme a trail run. I'm not in favour of any animal, or bird being caged, but I think this is a very tough decision. 'Tis easy to be wise after the event.

BTW. Does anyone know if there is a plural for lynx? :)

Rheghead
19-Nov-12, 20:34
I'm cautiously in favour of reintroduction. Our farmed land are deserts in terms of biodiversity and that needs to change if reintroduction is to be a success. Too much emphasis is on yields and all too often changing farming practices which encourage biodiversity are seen by farmers which compromise yields.

Farmers don't like change which is foisted upon them unless they see the benefits so reintroduction needs to benefit farmers as well as improve biodiversity.

ducati
22-Nov-12, 09:46
No! They will just be persicuted by the usual morons.