PDA

View Full Version : My apologies and goodbye

Fran
17-Dec-06, 19:48
I was pleased to finally see my "bad"post here just now and the replies which followed which have schocked me. i am pleased to at least be able to give my reply.
I am very sorry if i have upset you with giving you a traffic warning. No names or description etc were given and i ha\ve given many of these warnings before without problem. You hear them all day long on moray firth Radio.
Mr and Mrs Billy boy, i did not, never have, and never would give names, and yes i have had police knock on my door re a family member in a car accident, i myself was inured in a road accident.
No I do not have a laptop to give out instant news, it was an hour later I posted on here. and no I wasn't there watching or chasing ambulances.
No I am not an ambulance "chaser", god knows where you got that from Philipmabug, and others. If you knew me you would know that is not true and I take that as a slanderous remark. You would be the same if i said nasty remarks about you.
Many of you have put on postings about people driving into the harbour, accidents, assaults, vandalism and some of you have even added names. I have never named anyone or given details that would lead to their names etc.
There are 4 pages of remarks about my simple comment about a traffic hold up due to an accident, some have hurt me, and i would like to thamk ju and others who supported me.
Itis obvious from some of these remarks that i am not liked on here, though hardly any of you know me, so I have decided to call it a day. as much as i love being on here and reading your posts and giving my views on them, I could do without the stress, This sort of thing never used to happen, things have changed, and not for the better.People have started to be quite nasty to others on this site which is such a shame. I will certainly miss it, but I'll miss the way it was. i think i would be too worried to ever post on here again after the reaction to my last post. I certainly never had intentions of hurting people. fran

Billy Boy
17-Dec-06, 19:57
Fran, I was pointing out that although i do not have a problem with traffic updates, I personnaly believe that it is better to say the road was blocked and delays expected rather than state there had been an accident,I know you didnt mention any names but there are plenty of people who wish to find out all the gory details when the word accident is mentioned and having been on the recieving end of gossip & speculation due to an accident i wouldnt want others to go through the same as i did, I am sorry that you feel that you have to leave, i can only speak for what i posted myself and not what others posted

JAWS
17-Dec-06, 20:00
Fran, it was obvious to anybody reading your post, with an open mind, that your intention was to try to help others by telling them the road was blocked. Had you not mentioned the cause many people would have been bound to ask anyway.
As I recall, you gave no actual details of the incident at all.

As with many threads people will interpret it as they wish and others will divert it from it's original intent. That is mostly not the fault of the originator but that of those doing such things.

And yes, before anybody twitters, I too have been guilty, as well as many others, of being involved in such things on other matters.

cuddlepop
17-Dec-06, 20:04
Dont you dare.
You have done nothing wrong.Its peoples misunderstanding,hiden agenda etc that caused your thread to spirral out of control.
I said privately to ignore the posts,please dont leave.
I posted a thread earlier and it was pulled.
I'm pissed off too[evil]

Naefearjustbeer
17-Dec-06, 20:06
very soon there will be nobody left on here the way things are going. Dont take the comments to heart there are a lot of idiots on the go around here.

Jeemag_USA
17-Dec-06, 20:10
If you go then your letting them win. Stay and keep posting your innocent posts. I tried to make a point that every second post here is turned into some kind of whining or argument on a regular basis and for that I got bad feedback and told to 'Shut My Mouth" by Mamabear who seems to think she is the thought police on the forum. She also tried to tell me not to try and fix something that is not broken when the thread was already ruined which was both illogical and hilarious at the same time :roll:

But I'll stay :cool:

Fran
17-Dec-06, 20:11
Fran, I was pointing out that although i do not have a problem with traffic updates, I personnaly believe that it is better to say the road was blocked and delays expected rather than state there had been an accident,I know you didnt mention any names but there are plenty of people who wish to find out all the gory details when the word accident is mentioned and having been on the recieving end of gossip & speculation due to an accident i wouldnt want others to go through the same as i did, I am sorry that you feel that you have to leave, i can only speak for what i posted myself and not what others posted
;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;; ;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;
If you tell people the road is blocked they will drive on hoping it has cleared.
If you tell them there has been an accident they wont drive on as they know it will take some time, they will go an alternate route, thus making it easier for ambulance services to get through to the accident.Have you ever seen an ambulance tring desperately to get through traffic to an accident.this could be avoided.

peedie man
17-Dec-06, 20:13
Fran,you have nothing to say sorry for,you certainly saved me some time I went via castletown instead of my usual route,so please dont go

Billy Boy
17-Dec-06, 20:13
lol a was brought up in glasgow my dad worked for the emergency services so dont try and tell me.

Wish
17-Dec-06, 20:17
Fran, I don't know whats gone on, but I for one would be sorry if you went, from what the others have said theres no reason why you should be going anywhere.

Please reconsiderxx

Theres a little saying Fran

~~Be who you are and say what you want because those that mind don't matter and those that matter don't mind~~

Billy Boy
17-Dec-06, 20:18
Fran where did i say you gossip or named names or said that it was serious?:confused

Please do enlighten me?

connieb19
17-Dec-06, 20:24
Fran where did i say you gossip or named names or said that it was serious?:confused

Please do enlighten me?
Yeah, I'd like to know here I called fran anything too? I made one post, to which the answer was directed at Bozeburgler, that's why I quoted him/her. Any other post I made was in defence of being called a and a moaning minnie( by a mod).
Why did you let it run for 4 pages fran if you were so upset?

Colin Manson
17-Dec-06, 20:25
Fran,

Your post was fine just ignore those that are trying to backseat moderate, posting without giving details is a great way to help other people in the county and don't let anyone tell you otherwise.

Regards
Colin

Billy Boy
17-Dec-06, 20:28
I take it by that colin that other peoples feeling dont come into it?:confused

Colin Manson
17-Dec-06, 20:30
Other peoples feeling come in to what? Notification that an accident occurred?

connieb19
17-Dec-06, 20:32
Other peoples feeling come in to what? Notification that an accident occurred?
It wasn't just an accident, it had to be dramatised into a BAD accident. :roll:

_Ju_
17-Dec-06, 20:34
Please don't go Fran. Give it all the importance that it has: none.

Someone gave you a lovely saying to apply here and in life. Use it!

changilass
All accidents would be considered BAD by those involved.

Jeemag_USA

So it wasn't a bad accident then? If it was a bad accient and someone says it was a bad accident how can that be called dramatising it?

Colin Manson
17-Dec-06, 20:35

So what difference does that make?

No details were given, no names used, if you don't like hearing, seeing or reading that type of news then you'd have to live a pretty sheltered existence.

Posting details or asking for details about an accident isn't allowed but passing on the standard road bulletin type of post is fine. If you think otherwise you are free to PM one of the Usergroup and ask them to change the rules to suit you, until then as the Admin of the site I decide what will and wont be accepted.

Billy Boy
17-Dec-06, 20:36
I wasnt trying to backseat moderate as you put it, i thought we were all entitled to our opinions and in my opinion its not right to state that there was an accident and i have explained why i feel this way. i did not post it just to cause an argument but because i know how distressing it can be when people gossip without knowing the facts.
No one wants to come on here and find out there has been an accident when its possible one of their family is involved or is it a case of some things are never going to change

connieb19
17-Dec-06, 20:37

No details were given, no names used, if you don't like hearing, seeing or reading that type of news then you'd have to live a pretty sheltered existence.

Thanks, you've just answered a question I asked in another thread. :D

mums angels
17-Dec-06, 20:39
Don't take it all to heart Fran the majority of us know that you only had good intentions with your post. I have had people jump down my throat because of something i've written and been upset at the time but realise that they don't know me and at the end of the day if they want to take it the wrong way ..let them.

We Live, we Learn

Colin Manson
17-Dec-06, 20:40
I wasnt trying to backseat moderate as you put it, i thought we were all entitled to our opinions and in my opinion its not right to state that there was an accident and i have explained why i feel this way. i did not post it just to cause an argument but because i know how distressing it can be when people gossip without knowing the facts.
No one wants to come on here and find out there has been an accident when its possible one of their family is involved or is it a case of some things are never going to change

What you were doing was tantamount to Flaming Fran because you didn't agree with her post.

If you don't agree with a post use the Report Post button, that's what it is there for.

Show me where the gossip was in the original post, how could anyone find out that it was their family member from that post?

Tell me the difference between an MFR message that said exactly what Fran said and a post made here.

canuck
17-Dec-06, 20:41
"Bad" might not necessarily be dramatic effect. It may be conveying important information for a driver.

In listening to road reports I translate accident into being a 2 or 3 hour delay, serious accident into a 8 to 10 hour delay and road washed out (which road closure in Caithness right now could easily be) to a several day event. Sometimes that extra bit of information is helpful when making decisions.

connieb19
17-Dec-06, 20:41

Posting details or asking for details about an accident isn't allowed but passing on the standard road bulletin type of post is fine. If you think otherwise you are free to PM one of the Usergroup and ask them to change the rules to suit you, until then as the Admin of the site I decide what will and wont be accepted.I've already said countless times, I'm not bothered what fran posted. I said i thought Boozeburglers idea about going to help was unhelpful. Have I broken the rules for saying that? If not what's the big deal? :confused Are we not allowed to make a post unless it's agreeing with eveyone else?

Colin Manson
17-Dec-06, 20:45
Can you tell me where I've mentioned you in any of my posts? You seem to be assuming that I'm talking about you when you didn't do any of the things that I'm talking about.

As you've said you weren't responding to Frans post but to Boozeburglers idea about going to help. I agree that it wouldn't be a good idea to go, the area needs to be kept clear for the Emergency services, Frans initial post would have helped that by diverting some traffic.

_Ju_
17-Dec-06, 20:48
Common sense people!

connieb19
17-Dec-06, 20:49
Can you tell me where I've mentioned you in any of my posts? You seem to be assuming that I'm talking about you when you didn't do any of the things that I'm talking about.

As you've said you weren't responding to Frans post but to Boozeburglers idea about going to help. I agree that it wouldn't be a good idea to go, the area needs to be kept clear for the Emergency services, Frans initial post would have helped that by diverting some traffic.I assumed it was directed at me because of the pm I got from Fran. It seems we've got our wires crossed then, sorry. :confused

lin
17-Dec-06, 20:53
I would have thought any information on road conditions would have been welcome. Fran was only saying what she knew, that there was a accident. Any accident is a "bad" accident. If she saved one person the nightmare of being stuck behind an accident we should be greatful.

Billy Boy
17-Dec-06, 21:01
sent you a pm colin

Macwull
17-Dec-06, 21:06
Having been a lurker for a while on caithness.org and very seldom posting its become apparent that the org aint what it used to be. I've read many a comment from Fran and Mr & Mrs Billy Boy that has added greatly to a thread but on this occasion everyone should just agree to disagree.

Lifes too short to worry about things like these, i can see both sides of the argument but would probably agree more with Fran on this occasion.

Come on people the org used to be a good place, where everybody was part of an online community and even though i never really posted i enjoyed bein on here. If you don't like the comment then don't read it.

MacWull

peedie
17-Dec-06, 21:26
[quote=_Ju_;174040]Common sense people![/qu

exactly! the wording of frans posts is no different to what is on the radio day in day out.

Fran please dont leave!! i enjoy your posts!! as do many other people

bobsgirl
17-Dec-06, 21:27
Having been a lurker for a while on caithness.org and very seldom posting its become apparent that the org aint what it used to be. I've read many a comment from Fran and Mr & Mrs Billy Boy that has added greatly to a thread but on this occasion everyone should just agree to disagree.

Lifes too short to worry about things like these, i can see both sides of the argument but would probably agree more with Fran on this occasion.

Come on people the org used to be a good place, where everybody was part of an online community and even though i never really posted i enjoyed bein on here. If you don't like the comment then don't read it.

MacWull

I do agree with this statement but since the previous problems, there has been a fair few regular names pop up that have upset people on the org.

Fran do not let them beat you, stay on the org for the people who really take note of your posts and like reading your opinions!!

Rampant Rabbit
17-Dec-06, 21:35
<P>and i for one told agreed with you colin</P>

cuddlepop
17-Dec-06, 21:40
If I lived in Caithness any information on road conditions be it accident or other wise would prevent a near melt down in our car.
Some people who have an autistic condition find it extremly distressing when you have to change direction at a moments notice.
Commensense people please.:D

Bakerbhoy
17-Dec-06, 21:44
Fran

I didn't read the original thread and to be honest I think it is a great help when someone posts to say road block for whatever reason, as has been stated by many the radio conveys this information on a regular basis to ease traffic and lets people plan ahead.

Now on a slightly different note, if you don't agree with a post why do you have to read it? There is a title there and if it is of no interest or annoys you that people convey these things via the org then can you not pass it by instead of upsetting someone to the extent that they don't want to post on a community website any longer. SHAME on you!!!!!!

Metalattakk
17-Dec-06, 21:53
Oh, dry your eyes Fran, for goodness' sake!

Post what you want, when you want, the more the merrier...but just at least think about the possible repercussions, that's all. :roll:

It's not rocket science, you know.

cuddlepop
17-Dec-06, 21:54
Well said Bakerbhoy:D
I'd could rep you but your switched off.(will not use disabled as I hate that discription.):~(

badger
17-Dec-06, 21:56
Don't leave Fran - you've always been a good orger and we need people like you. I couldn't believe the way one innocent post, intended to be helpful, escalated into a major row and slanging match. Everyone's entitled to their opinion but once a few people jump in and then feel they have to justify their posts it all seems to get out of hand. I don't believe things would get so heated if this was a conversation as it would be so much easier to clear up misunderstandings.
Take a deep breath, and maybe a few days off, then come back and you'll be welcomed with open arms.

Mister Squiggle
17-Dec-06, 22:15
I agree Badger - easy to type up a heated response, whereas in person, things would be a lot more amiable, I'm sure.
Hang in there Fran - I appreciate any traffic info as our car has a major dodgy radiator problem which I keep muttering I must fix one day ... in the meantime, the traffic lights which were outside Tescos were enough to cause me a fair bit of angst as I watched the temperature gauge climb.
I'm sure your post was well meant. Don't be put off, as I enjoy reading your posts.

Through
17-Dec-06, 22:30
Please stay Fran.

Saveman
17-Dec-06, 22:35
Anyone ever listen to the travel news on the radio? Yes, they use words like "serious" and "bad" when speaking about accidents.

The words "overreaction" "bullying" and "ganging up" all spring to mind.
Fran was trying to be helpful.

Some people actually found it helpful......

Please tell me whats the difference between hearing the same info on the radio and reading it on the Org?

Fran don't leave over this.

Royster1911
17-Dec-06, 22:39
Ooops, Mr & mrs Billyboy. Take that foot out of your mouth. Fran, dont go.[evil]

crofter
17-Dec-06, 22:52
Fran's post saved me a wasted trip as I was going over to Haster so after reading her post I postponed to this morning. Thanks Fran and please don't go.

Billy Boy
17-Dec-06, 22:53
Ooops, Mr & mrs Billyboy. Take that foot out of your mouth. Fran, dont go.[evil]

lol, my foot was never in my mouth and i certainly aint gonna apologise for having my own opinion. unlike everyone else on here who just seems to want to agree with everyone else.
I totally stand by what i said[evil]

Royster1911
17-Dec-06, 23:05
And so has many other people. Does that make them right????

toodiemac
17-Dec-06, 23:08
This whole discussion is crazy! If somebody had phoned into a radio station which gives local travel info - say Moray Firth - to let them know the road was blocked because of an accident, then surely people would not have got on the phone to the radio station berating the person who had given the info in the first place?

I was actually going to post the info but Fran beat me to it - we were turned back by the police - and I though I would be doing a service by letting people know to use the other road. It would not have occurred to me to just say the road was blocked - I naturally would have said there had been an accident.

If you listen to any travel news on the radio they try to give as much detail as possible i.e. road blocked due to an accident, an overturned lorry, an oil spill etc. If we met a friend in Tesco or something surely we would mention that there had been an accident on that road and it was blocked? I told my family when we got home why we were delayed and perhaps they might have mentioned it to somebody else they may have met in the post office or somewhere - that is just human nature and I'm sure every one of us, rather than being disrepectful and gossiping abot those invlolved were actually saying a silent prayer hoping that nobody was hurt!!

I can totally understand that Fran must feel very hurt by some of the posts - Fran don't leave because of this it is all just so very silly. This is a community message board, the accident would be reported in the local paper even if no names of those involved were published yet. I don't often post on here but I felt I could not ignore this.

Royster1911
17-Dec-06, 23:09
Sorry, forgot to say that the accident reffered to I have no knowlage of. Not that it matters

Royster1911
17-Dec-06, 23:13
Just a thought, Where did Mr & Mrs Billyboy get the info about the accident?
Surely not the forum board????

Colin Manson
17-Dec-06, 23:19
I think Mr & Mrs Billyboy is entitled to have an opinion but I'd suggest that these types of opinions are expressed via the report post button and then let the admin and moderators deal with it.

angela5 seemed to be a lot more opinionated about Frans post IMHO.

robby50x
17-Dec-06, 23:19
this forum is becoming a bit of a farce when you even cannot post something about an accident blocking a road without somebody jumping down your throat thank god these people are not moderators imagine them with a bit of power they know who they are

Mizpah
17-Dec-06, 23:22
Fran please do not go you have done nothing wrong, you were only trying to be helpful and give some practical advice which people have thanked you for, it does not matter what one does it will never ever please everyone, just stick with what you do and keep giving people pleasure with your posts. :roll:

jings00
17-Dec-06, 23:30
I've always found yer posts alright and if it was somethin i didny want to read, then i just move on to the next post, easy enuff to do..............

Emms
17-Dec-06, 23:45
Itis obvious from some of these remarks that i am not liked on here, though hardly any of you know me, so I have decided to call it a day. as much as i love being on here and reading your posts and giving my views on them, I could do without the stress, fran

Fran I think it would be such a shame if you left now. Obviously you are feeling hurt by the comments and remarks made in response to your original post, but just read through the replies to this post - someone who wasn't liked wouldn't have so many replies offering support and requesting you re-think your decision to leave.

If you had any doubts about your popularity, think again. It would appear that many people want you to stay. I hope that makes you feel a bit better and that you will re-think your decision. In my opinion, and that of many other people, you did nothing wrong, so please don't leave.

lassieinfife
18-Dec-06, 00:31
I thought everyone had a free choice when it comes to opening threads?....... if you don't wish to read a thread then DONT OPEN it, I cant see that Fran did anything wrong, all she did was warn other road users and helped them avoid delays, yes I have had family involved in RTA's and I would rather have the roads clear for emergency services to get through

Plenty threads on Caithness.org that I have never opened simply because they don't interest me or it is something I would rather not read about... you all have the same choice.... use it

I only know Fran from her posts but I will say if you go Fran the .org will loose a valuable member

katarina
18-Dec-06, 00:49
I guess it's unanimous. We all want you to stay, fran. I haven't read the origonal post other than the accident warning, and THERE WAS NOTHING WRONG WITH IT.
Don't leave because of this!

Highland Laddie
18-Dec-06, 00:55
Nobody mentioned that it was a car accident,
it could have been a load of hay fallen of a trailer,
the back door of a lorry fallen open and sheep, cows or pigs on the road
or even a council gritter at work, i think we still have local gritters don't we ???.

EDDIE
18-Dec-06, 01:03
lol a was brought up in glasgow my dad worked for the emergency services so dont try and tell me.

What has being brought up in glasgow got to do with it and its more a case of dont u try and tell people what they can and cant post on this forum its not your place. fran has done nothing wrong.
why dont u phone up all the papers and tell them next time there is an accident just publish it as a roadblock and see the response you get from them.
If fran named names and went into detail about it i could understand that because the family of the victims would be upset about it

EDDIE
18-Dec-06, 01:11
Anyone ever listen to the travel news on the radio? Yes, they use words like "serious" and "bad" when speaking about accidents.

The words "overreaction" "bullying" and "ganging up" all spring to mind.
Fran was trying to be helpful.

Some people actually found it helpful......

Please tell me whats the difference between hearing the same info on the radio and reading it on the Org?

Fran don't leave over this.

The difference between hearing the info on the radio or reading it on the org or in the local papers is simple the org is more up to date than the other because people in general like fran contribute useful information

connieb19
18-Dec-06, 01:16
This whole thing seems to have been totally blown out of proportion. People disagree on threads the whole time, what's the difference with this one?
It would be pretty boring if everyone had the same opinions.
Just because people cannot agree on this thread it dosn't mean they can't move on and maybe agree on the next thing. :roll:

Mamabear
18-Dec-06, 01:23
Fran, dont go you a very good poster on this site,and at the moment we need all the posters we can in the present climate, Dont go

luskentyre
18-Dec-06, 01:33
It was obvious from Frans original posting that there was no "gossip", or "ambulance chasing" involved. The post merely informed people there was an accident which may delay people taking that road. I see no problem with that.

If Fran has asked "does anyone know what happened?" then this might be different - but she didn't.

Stop persecuting people who have done nothing, except try to be helpful.

highlander
18-Dec-06, 01:35
Fran please stay, there was no malice in your posting, some things i can understand will be sensitive to people, but no names were mentioned, car model and names were not mentioned, take 5, come back

htwood
18-Dec-06, 03:39
Hi Fran, Please stay, you've done nothing wrong and the org will be diminished if you go. -H

Metalattakk
18-Dec-06, 03:51
I suspect she's playing you all for fools, you chumps.

Like so many others recently, I reckon all she's doing is chucking the toys oot the pram, and peeping like a wee lassie. You know, and I know, and she knows that she'll not leave. I'm happy enough about that, though.

But, she'll gain my respect only if she actually does leave, as promised.

Oh, and all you sycophants should get a grip too. Let the lady leave if she wants.

Highland Laddie
18-Dec-06, 07:25

Like so many others recently, I reckon all she's doing is chucking the toys oot the pram, and peeping like a wee lassie. You know, and I know, and she knows that she'll not leave. I'm happy enough about that, though.

Oh, and all you sycophants should get a grip too. Let the lady leave if she wants.

WHAT A WASSOK

cuddlepop
18-Dec-06, 09:18
My thoughts too.:confused
Fran,you can read from these threads your a valuable member who is liked and respected.Your one of the members who actually uses the Org as a community web site and posts accordingly.:D
Take sometime out to reconsider please.

EDDIE
18-Dec-06, 10:15

There is no one in this forum interested gaining your respect and buy looking at this thread i would say fran has more respect than u

paris
18-Dec-06, 11:03
Hi Fran , cant believe how things on here have changed of late. The post you wrote i would of put the same, just to warn others, so why do you feel you must go ? Others were thankful regarding your post as alternate routes could be taken to get from a to b . Fran , please reconsider, just ignore those who have a dig, i do . jan x

dirdyweeker
18-Dec-06, 11:38
I am more a reader of posts than a "poster" but am able to chose what I want to read.....like all others on this forum. Fran if you read this post today you will see more support than anything other. You have always contributed good posts so please don't give up. Ignore the ones you don't want to read.

nicnak
18-Dec-06, 13:52
Fran dont you dare leave! I too know what it is like to be a victim of abuse and groundless allegations on this site but thanks to Niall and Colin the daft people that were doing it to me were banned eventually and I think in cases like yours and mine the majority of people see through what these people are saying and ignore it. Dont let it get you down girl they are just not worth it!
and have a wonderful christmas too!

bigpete
18-Dec-06, 14:04
Hi Folks
Been away again, come back and find this thread about something to do with Fran reporting a road blocked by an accident or something? - seems the original posting has been deleted?
Is it simply just that? Can ANYONE tell me what the whole debate is about?!

weeboyagee
18-Dec-06, 14:12
bigpete - in a nutshell the whole issue is now a storm in a teacup that should go away quickly if people would let it. There are better topics to debate in the forums, my advice would be to go see what else is there to talk about. This one isn't worth the thought effort.

If those still debating it rather than encouraging Fran not to resign cannot see that then i don't know what we can do to stop this whole thread twittering on and on and on and on - there is no major section of the org forums upset about what Fran posted so no major action is going to result from this. All we can do if folk won't let it die at the moment is to leave it long enough for the wind to blow out of the issue. The more people who ignore it now the quicker it will blow itself out!

WBG :cool:

Margaret M.
18-Dec-06, 14:35
I see absolutely nothing wrong with what Fran posted and I had family members in the accident. A warning about a traffic snarl is always helpful.

Metalattakk
18-Dec-06, 14:37
WHAT A WASSOK

LOL!

Oh no! Whatever shall I do? I've been maligned! :D

Boozeburglar
18-Dec-06, 14:37
I think some of us are forgetting that thirty years ago there were no local traffic reports, little regional news, no mobile phones and no world wide web.

When I was a bairn, when we got a call to warn us the road was blocked, or the information was passed on by other means, we got whatever details were available.

If it was known to have been an accident, and the road was blocked, it was deemed 'bad'. This would be the norm unless it was known to be something less serious such as a coal lorry dumping a load with no injury.

Often it was the knock at the door that people got to inform them something genuinely 'bad' had happened, but just as often the news came by other means.

If there was an road accident/fire/unexpected death and there were kids left to be looked after or suchlike, interested parties were informed as soon as possible, by whatever means, by whoever could get hold of them.

That means if you were up on the hill cutting the peats and your grannie fell ill it might be your neighbour that came up on the tractor to let you know, or it might be your grannies next door neighbour that called you on the phone as soon as they had called the ambulance.

We got news on a couple of occasions from the taxi drivers.

Now I know that we are in 2006 (for now at least) and most of us have mobile phones and internet access, and MFR has the latest gen most of the time, but is there not still a place for neighbourly concern such as Fran showed, allowing us the opportunity of a warning of some kind that something of some kind is going on somewhere we may just happen to be heading?

If anything, her warning was most likely to prevent some people going that way and therefore help prevent a build up of traffic or people impeding the work of the emergency services.

And sorry, but if I heard there was an accident at a small hamlet and it was where two thirds of my family lived I would be glad to get the news as soon as possible, by whatever means, so that I could cal them to check up on them and get there as soon as possible to do whatever I could were there more to it.

If anyone thinks there is never anything family members can do to help in emergency situations I would suggest they haven't been there. That is what I had meant, I just put it badly.

I can also tell you that if I got there quicker because someone put some information out there in whatever format I would be grateful to them.

There is a difference between gossip and passing information on. We used to rely on the latter.

saffy100
18-Dec-06, 14:41
Has everyone gone mad....!!!!!!!!!!..i think there is lots of pre Christmas tension going around.........From this day forward it will be known as Pre-CT (pre-christmas tension) and Post-CT......

Fran was giving out very useful info........and shouldn't have been moaned at about it, what about when we had all the floods.....people were posting traffic info then....should we just stop giving out info to help each other....it has certainly made me think twice about giving info on the org.....it's a message board / forum...people talk...about weather..gossip...accidents...traffic.....accept it.....not so long ago people were moaning that they didn't have freedom of speech on the org....thank goodness, because from this example it would just all spiral out of controll!!!!

robynaus
18-Dec-06, 14:58
Come on people must be the weather up there here the sun is shining and the country is burning up with the bushfires but it's christmas so have a happy one robyn

Bye the bye what is a wassok

Has everyone gone mad....!!!!!!!!!!..i think there is lots of pre Christmas tension going around.........From this day forward it will be known as Pre-CT (pre-christmas tension) and Post-CT......

Fran was giving out very useful info........and shouldn't have been moaned at about it, what about when we had all the floods.....people were posting traffic info then....should we just stop giving out info to help each other....it has certainly made me think twice about giving info on the org.....it's a message board / forum...people talk...about weather..gossip...accidents...traffic.....accept it.....not so long ago people were moaning that they didn't have freedom of speech on the org....thank goodness, because from this example it would just all spiral out of controll!!!!

Liz
18-Dec-06, 15:05
Gee whiz (being polite and also not getting banned!):lol:

What on earth is happening to everyone?!!!! Take some deep breathes and meditate on what is important in life!

Fran you are one of the nicest people on the org and do not deserve the reaction you got to a perfectly innocent, and indeed, helpful post.

teritoots
18-Dec-06, 15:17
Please do not go Fran. Your post was absolutely fine and I am sure it was useful for people to avoid that area. As stated by many on here you did not give out any personal details or anything.
I had a family member killed in a road accident some time ago and reading posting such as Frans would worry me but that natural. It's not caused by how you hear of an accident it's just because it's worrying to you. I just make a little prayer that they'll be ok and hopefully no-one I know.
What Fran posted was imformative and not gossiping. What I do believe should be banned but this is completely different is on the TV news they take pictures of accidents and show them even when people have died in them. This I believe would hurt family members involved, I'd of hated to see that.

Duno whats happened to the org these days but I read the disputes for weeks and never posted as I did not want to get involved in useless arguments. I think Saffy100 could be right I little bit Pre-Christmas tension going around.

How about we spread a bit of Xmas cheer instead??:D

danc1ngwitch
18-Dec-06, 15:42
very soon there will be nobody left on here the way things are going. Dont take the comments to heart there are a lot of idiots on the go around here.

Sometimes if your a sensitive person it can be hard not to take what others say to heart... Fran is one in a million that accually cares about the hurt she causes others... See me now i don;t care if i am not liked on here and thus if you insult me i read and think ( wow if only i could be let loose on you lol )
but there are rules and i am trying to stick to them ( wea difficulty )
It takes all personalities to make this unique so hey Fran I would say ah well up yours and keep a little spot in your head and bide your time lol i still waiting for the chance on that one from orkney ( <<< NOTE no names lol >>> ) just joking by the way.. see this is the problem with this old org you feel the need to make sure people aint taken what you say to heart...
Fran you should stay build a bridge and get over it...shrug and say yea well i got your number... im glad i missed it all xxx

rfr10
18-Dec-06, 16:50
hey Fran. You didn't do anything wrong in my view. Let's just forget about it and don't leave:D Tried my best to defend you in the thread but no one listens to me :(

Cattach
18-Dec-06, 17:06
Having not had a chance to look at the message board for about a week I was somewhat puzzled what this was all about and read the first couple of pages and then scanned the rest. Seems to me that Fran was making a genuine and sensible effort to warn of a problem for travellers. Pity some of the critics had not got as much common sense and were not so public spirited.

I travelled north about six months ago late in the evening and need not have done so. I could have stayed the night with family but did not know there was a road block north of Brora. I sat there for nearly four hours into the early hours of the morning. With knowledge I would not have travelled.

There are radio reports continuously regarding road accidents which does not seem to cause any problem or office – pity I did not have MFR or Radio Scotland on that night.

scorrie
18-Dec-06, 17:26
I didn't see anything wrong in Fran's post to warrant the reaction the followed it. However, I did see a post by Fran about a Power Cut in George Street and I could see that perhaps other posters might consider that to be a bit "gossipy" in nature. Calm doon everyone, let there be Grease on Earth and Pigswill to all Men over the festive season.

chaz
18-Dec-06, 18:55
;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;; ;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;
If you tell people the road is blocked they will drive on hoping it has cleared.
If you tell them there has been an accident they wont drive on as they know it will take some time, they will go an alternate route, thus making it easier for ambulance services to get through to the accident.Have you ever seen an ambulance tring desperately to get through traffic to an accident.this could be avoided.

Also fran it saves people like myself trying to get past an accident with young children in the car and then being stuck! I agree with you:)

horse
18-Dec-06, 19:22
I remember when we had CB radios in the 80s in caithness,the crack was good then things went sour seems to me that the Org has gone the same way not much crack lately just gurnin!

Venture
18-Dec-06, 19:29
METALATTAKK - You could always threaten to leave.....Somehow don't think you'd get the same support to stay as Frans been getting. She's far more thoughtful and polite compared to you when posting.

EDDIE
18-Dec-06, 19:31
I remember when we had CB radios in the 80s in caithness,the crack was good then things went sour seems to me that the Org has gone the same way not much crack lately just gurnin!

I remember that well but do u remember use the cb and the 40 channels and some twit used but into your converstion and wind u up or they would just hold the talk button on and u used to try flicking up and down the channels to get rid of them

kev bev
18-Dec-06, 20:04
mr and mrs billy boy shut it!!!!!

Billy Boy
18-Dec-06, 20:07

why whats your problem lol cos i have my own opinions and dont follow others.:Razz

connieb19
18-Dec-06, 20:08
http://www.seasite.niu.edu/thaidict/thailex1/picture/stir.jpg

Metalattakk
18-Dec-06, 20:26
METALATTAKK - You could always threaten to leave.....Somehow don't think you'd get the same support to stay as Frans been getting. She's far more thoughtful and polite compared to you when posting.

Can I ask you what your intention was when posting that?

I do apologise for having my own opinions and not just slavishly following the masses. Nothing you have posted has changed my way of looking at things.

jinglejangle
18-Dec-06, 20:39
Can I ask you what your intention was when posting that?

I do apologise for having my own opinions and not just slavishly following the masses. Nothing you have posted has changed my way of looking at things.

I have to agree with metalattakk - i don't know fran and have no feelings one way or the other towards her [my opinion is the whole thing has been blown out of all proportion but everyone it entitled to their opinion]. However, what i have found perculiar [sp?] over the past few weeks are the people who want to publicly announce they are leaving and want to hang up their 'username' as it be. I feel if people want to leave, they are entitled to do so but quite frankly i am getting bored of people saying they are leaving, not just fran, and the message board being full of people saying how great that person is and please don't leave. Why don't people just go quietly - do they want to make a public statement but then be told how great they are and be 'persuaded' to come back? Why don't people not bother logging on for a few days til they have calmed down? Just my opinion so please don't reply by slagging me off - it is just a comment. Do we really want the message board taken up by these sort of threads? :)

gollach
18-Dec-06, 20:45
I have to agree with metalattakk - i don't know fran and have no feelings one way or the other towards her [my opinion is the whole thing has been blown out of all proportion but everyone it entitled to their opinion]. However, what i have found perculiar [sp?] over the past few weeks are the people who want to publicly announce they are leaving and want to hang up their 'username' as it be. I feel if people want to leave, they are entitled to do so but quite frankly i am getting bored of people saying they are leaving, not just fran, and the message board being full of people saying how great that person is and please don't leave. Why don't people just go quietly - do they want to make a public statement but then be told how great they are and be 'persuaded' to come back? Why don't people not bother logging on for a few days til they have calmed down? Just my opinion so please don't reply by slagging me off - it is just a comment. Do we really want the message board taken up by these sort of threads? :)

Well said, jinglejangle. I am fed up of people starting threads to say that they are leaving.

Billy Boy
18-Dec-06, 20:48
I have read all my wifes posts on this thread and i have yet to see where she has called fran a gossip or anything else for that matter, so could someone please point me in the right direction, possibly yourself fran as you bad repped her for calling you a gossip, not that she cares one bit about the rep its more annoying to be accused of being a liar
As far as i can see they only thing my wife did was to ask why there had to be the mention of a BAD ACCIDENT, and not just say the road was blocked, she also explained why she felt that way.
She also said that mentioning accidents always leads to speculation and gossip.
A big difference to actually calling some one a gossip
You only have to look at previous threads about accidents to see that is what has happened.
So it would seem that most folks havent actually read what my wife posted
as they are making the same asumptions.

i normally stick to bad jokes and the odd thread so forgive my writeing! i would rather say what i have to say face to face, so this is pointed at the few ignorant people who feel that my wife should not have her own opinion so please feel free to pm me and we can arrange a meeting and discuss it face to face

fred
18-Dec-06, 21:01
Well said, jinglejangle. I am fed up of people starting threads to say that they are leaving.

One day the hotel manager got a phonecall, it was from a little old lady complaining she could see a man in the room opposite her window with no clothes on. The hotel manager went to the little old ladies room and looked out of her window, "I can't see a man with no clothes on" said the manager, "You have to stand on the chair" said the little old lady.

Nobody is chaining you to your chair and forcing you to read these threads, if you don't like them go find a thread you do like and leave them to the people that do.

mareng
I haven't read the entire thread, but think I have the gist of it.

I can't say I see the purpose of posting news of a road blockage on a website forum as I don't think it forms a useful purpose.

Compare it if you will, with posters asking what the opening-hours of an establishment are, whose details are on the internet, or available from phoning said establishment. It just seems like posting for the sake of it, when the poster obviously has internet access?

It could also be viewed (without knowing the character of the poster - so do not take this as applicable to you, Fran) as being "Listen to me, everyone - I bring you information"

So, I make no inferance regarding the reason for the orignal post or the sincerity of it, but I think the resulting posts which are overly critical/insulting are unjustified and would like to think that Fran would reconsider in light of the support that is evident in amongst the remainder of the group.

(I hope that all reads correctly, otherwise I best duck)

paris
Hey, come on guys, its christmas, chill . jan x

Bobbyian
18-Dec-06, 21:06
I have to agree with you Jinglejangle on this like they say " just do it" don`t jabber allday about doing it

jinglejangle
18-Dec-06, 21:13
One day the hotel manager got a phonecall, it was from a little old lady complaining she could see a man in the room opposite her window with no clothes on. The hotel manager went to the little old ladies room and looked out of her window, "I can't see a man with no clothes on" said the manager, "You have to stand on the chair" said the little old lady.

Nobody is chaining you to your chair and forcing you to read these threads, if you don't like them go find a thread you do like and leave them to the people that do.

see i knew there would be one! i know i am not forced to read these threads - which i don't normally do actually as they are appearing so frequently. I just find it all a bit boring!! in addition to this [and not meaning to be a real bah-humbug] but i also find the welcoming ones boring too! and the ones that have started saying merry christmas!! i just feel if everyone decided to write welcome, good-bye and say, merry christmas there will be no room for anything else! right - i will wait to see who shoots me down this time lol

gollach
18-Dec-06, 21:15

Of course, I could fall into the trap of saying that I won't be back to see how this threads develops but that leaves me open to accusations of displaying the same attention seeking behaviour as those who start these threads....

jinglejangle
18-Dec-06, 21:18
Of course, I could fall into the trap of saying that I won't be back to see how this threads develops but that leaves me open to accusations of displaying the same attention seeking behaviour as those who start these threads....

please don't go gollach - you are so brilliant and we would so miss your posts and you are just ace and the best please be persuaded to stay [lol!]

gollach
18-Dec-06, 21:22
please don't go gollach - you are so brilliant and we would so miss your posts and you are just ace and the best please be persuaded to stay [lol!]

I never knew you cared! I'll stay but only because you said such nice things about me ;)

Alice in Blunderland
18-Dec-06, 21:32
I never knew you cared! I'll stay but only because you said such nice things about me ;)

Aw Gollach mmmmwwwwaaaaa what about me kissy kissy I like you too. ;)

fred
18-Dec-06, 22:52
see i knew there would be one! i know i am not forced to read these threads - which i don't normally do actually as they are appearing so frequently. I just find it all a bit boring!! in addition to this [and not meaning to be a real bah-humbug] but i also find the welcoming ones boring too! and the ones that have started saying merry christmas!! i just feel if everyone decided to write welcome, good-bye and say, merry christmas there will be no room for anything else! right - i will wait to see who shoots me down this time lol

So why do you read them if you find them boring?

Threads I find boring I just don't click on, seems a better solution than whinging about them.

Colin Manson
18-Dec-06, 22:53
This thread has gone way off topic so I'm closing it.