PDA

View Full Version : Really who's pulling who's leg?

Kenn
17-Nov-12, 23:44
I see from the front page of The Org that Reay could stand to gain from the proposal to build another wind farm on The Lime Kiln Site.

This was brooched at one of their local consultations by a resident of the village who wanted some sort of guarantee that the money would come directly to the immediate area. Deathly silence was the response.

I along with many others are thinking that if they are prepared to put aside that sum then just who is financing the project, is it taxpayer's money and if so surely it could be spent in a wiser fashion

The whole thing smacks of bribery and corruption.

radiohead
18-Nov-12, 09:38
As do all windfarm projects. It is just a way to appear to have renewable energy. If what was produced was storable or reliable 24/7 it would be a different matter, but sadly all the conventional power stations still need to be running, (even at idle) just to prepare for the surge when the population boils the kettle after East Enders...

The people who make the money locally are the land owners who negotiate good deals for the use of their land (we all pay a "green tax" on our fuel bills to fund this farce). Also in 25 years (the lifespan of a turbine project) what happens to them? More money should have been spent on Nuclear generation in my opinion, which is proven technology, and available on demand...

EOS
18-Nov-12, 11:55
Scientists who supplied the data used by the Scottish Goverment to help judge applications have called for an end to developments on peatlands (where most are being built in Caithness/Sutherland)

Peatlands lock in carbon

In their letter the team say they believe building windfarms on peatlands is self defeating because of the disturbance and desiccation during the construction process.

Planning vice-chairman George Farlow SNP has said there was no relationship between wind turbines and tourism.

VisitScotland a goverment body carried out a survey
Fifteen percent of those surveyed said they would categorically avoid an area with wind farms a futher ten percent said they would be less likely to return to an area with wnd farms.

It seems no matter what the SNP are obsessed with wind turbines

badger
18-Nov-12, 16:25
Never understood why people fall for this community benefit bribery as the money comes from their own pockets, our pockets - everyone who pays energy bills. It doesn't come from tax. That's why our bills keep going up, it's to pay the Govt. levy. Our money pays the developers and they give us some crumbs back to persuade us to support their latest money-making scheme. Here's one example from the Telegraph:
" What is clear is that a big part of the increase in customers’ bills is from the amount levied by British Gas on behalf of the Government to fund the subsidy for renewable energy sources, such as wind farms, plus the investment needed to upgrade the National Grid to connect them. Of the £80 a year increase for the average dual fuel bill announced in October, £50 is to cover these costs."

Rheghead
18-Nov-12, 20:34
Never understood why people fall for this community benefit bribery as the money comes from their own pockets, our pockets - everyone who pays energy bills. It doesn't come from tax. That's why our bills keep going up, it's to pay the Govt. levy. Our money pays the developers and they give us some crumbs back to persuade us to support their latest money-making scheme. Here's one example from the Telegraph:
" What is clear is that a big part of the increase in customers’ bills is from the amount levied by British Gas on behalf of the Government to fund the subsidy for renewable energy sources, such as wind farms, plus the investment needed to upgrade the National Grid to connect them. Of the £80 a year increase for the average dual fuel bill announced in October, £50 is to cover these costs."

I wouldn't believe a word that the Telegraph says in relation to the topics such as energy bills, climate change, wind farms etc. Each time I research what they say then it is rubbish, independent research just doesn't make their numbers add up. And no newspaper other than the Daily Mail gets the attention of impartial adjudicators of truth in the news as the Telegraph.

ywindythesecond
18-Nov-12, 21:28
I wouldn't believe a word that the Telegraph says in relation to the topics such as energy bills, climate change, wind farms etc. Each time I research what they say then it is rubbish, independent research just doesn't make their numbers add up. And no newspaper other than the Daily Mail gets the attention of impartial adjudicators of truth in the news as the Telegraph.

"And no newspaper other than the Daily Mail gets the attention of impartial adjudicators of truth in the news as the Telegraph."

Have you been on the Blue Nun? I cant make head nor tail of that! Time for an Edit!!

pig whisperer
18-Nov-12, 22:23
while the companies proclaim that millions of £s go into the community maybe they should tell us how much the farmers are given for having turbines on their land, I heard the sum of £35.000 per turbine per year, wow bonus

pig whisperer
18-Nov-12, 22:28
while the companies proclaim that millions of £s go into the community maybe they should tell us how much the farmers are given for having turbines on their land, I heard the sum of £35.000 per turbine per year, wow bonus

theone
19-Nov-12, 01:48

That figure is not far away fom what a friend of mine was quoted to allow the buiding of a turbine at the edge of their land, close to where several others were planned.

Had they opposed the development, it almost certainly would not have gained planning permission.

One man's incentive is another man's bribery.

spurtle
19-Nov-12, 11:19
I had some workers for the camster windfarm stay in out cottage,they were all from India, then went out in Wick and met some South Africans who'd come over to construct them. What jobs are there for the local workforce -Are we making the tea?

Rheghead
19-Nov-12, 20:06
"And no newspaper other than the Daily Mail gets the attention of impartial adjudicators of truth in the news as the Telegraph."

Have you been on the Blue Nun? I cant make head nor tail of that! Time for an Edit!!

I'm teetotal but I do think yoiu are too far up your own ideology to understand anything.

George Brims
20-Nov-12, 00:23
I'm teetotal but I do think yoiu are too far up your own ideology to understand anything.
Fair dos reggers, it is a messily constructed sentence. How about "And no newspaper other than the Daily Mail gets MORE OF the attention of impartial adjudicators of truth in the news as the Telegraph"?
The Telegraph recently solved for me the problem of wearing far right nutjobbery filters when reading it, as they have changed their web site to a pay model. Bye bye Torygraph.

Mystical Potato Head
20-Nov-12, 01:23

Pot,kettle and black spring to mind here.

Rheghead
20-Nov-12, 20:24
Pot,kettle and black spring to mind here.

My views are not an ideology, rather, I just think we should concentrate on a practical solution to jobs, climate change, the local environment and the energy crisis. Anti-windy's views solve nothing, there is no practical alternative to the energy crisis, climate change denialism is rife and certainly there are no jobs with not having a practical alternative.

So don't try to promote a fair and opposite viewpoint where none exists.

ywindythesecond
20-Nov-12, 21:09
So don't try to promote a fair and opposite viewpoint where none exists.

That seems to make you a "fair-and-opposite-viewpoint-denier" Reggy.

Rheghead
20-Nov-12, 21:30
That seems to make you a "fair-and-opposite-viewpoint-denier" Reggy.

No it makes me having the only valid viewpoint, the opposite viewpoint is centred on having no wind farms to harm the view because that is what it is all about, yeah?

ywindythesecond
21-Nov-12, 07:33
No it makes me having the only valid viewpoint, the opposite viewpoint is centred on having no wind farms to harm the view because that is what it is all about, yeah?

Open your mind Reggy. Make yourself a cup of cocoa and curl up in front of the computer and watch this 25 minute presentation I gave to a meeting in Ayrshire entitled "Your electricity bill". http://www.windfarms.me.uk/wind8.html Thats what is bothering me these days, it is too late to save the Caithness landscape.

Rheghead
21-Nov-12, 09:45
Open your mind Reggy. Make yourself a cup of cocoa and curl up in front of the computer and watch this 25 minute presentation I gave to a meeting in Ayrshire entitled "Your electricity bill". http://www.windfarms.me.uk/wind8.html Thats what is bothering me these days, it is too late to save the Caithness landscape.

Same old same old.

Can you tell me what constraint payments were given to coal and gas generators and how they compare to what wind received? I guess you'll not want to tell us because it doesn't fit in with your mantra that it's only renewables that are pushing up fuel bills.

badger
21-Nov-12, 19:26
I notice you pick on the Telegraph quote and ignore the rest of my post. Fact is that community benefit comes from the pockets of everyone who pays energy bills via the ROCs. That has nothing to do with Telegraph opinion. It's a sad reflection on the mindset of politicians that they think money can compensate for anything. FiTs that pay the income of small turbine and solar panel owners also come from the bills of the rest of us and it's sad that so many charities are prepared to rob their neighbours in this way. That's the fault of the Govt. for dreaming up such a stupid scheme as micro generation in the right places is a good idea.

The difference between windfarms and other forms of energy generation is that the former are unreliable and uncontrollable so inefficient and they take up vast amounts of space. I don't mind subsidising something that works but see no point in paying for machines that only work when they feel like it and frequently have to be paid large sums to stop working (the latter is also a result of Govt. inefficiency).

We keep being told how important it is to preserve peat as a carbon sink but they're quite happy to dig up vast quantities of it to build windfarms. Crazy.

Rheghead
21-Nov-12, 19:50
FiTs that pay the income of small turbine and solar panel owners also come from the bills of the rest of us and it's sad that so many charities are prepared to rob their neighbours in this way.[...] Crazy.

I believe that active members of the Caithness Windfarm Information Forum also have solar panels and thus taking Feed-in-Tariffs themselves. How does this make you feel?

ywindythesecond
21-Nov-12, 21:21
Same old same old.

Can you tell me what constraint payments were given to coal and gas generators and how they compare to what wind received? I guess you'll not want to tell us because it doesn't fit in with your mantra that it's only renewables that are pushing up fuel bills.

Apart from the constraint payment bit Reggy, did you like the rest of my presentation?

Did you even watch it? If you did and want to take issue on anything I actually said, feel free to fire away.

Only condition is that is has to be something I said, not something you think I said, or something you would rather I had said, or something you want to talk about instead.

Just remember that anyone can look at http://www.windfarms.me.uk/wind8.html (http://www.windfarms.me.uk/wind8.html) and check if I did actually say anything you might want to take issue with. Including what I actually said about constraint payments.

So fire away, questions please.

Rheghead
22-Nov-12, 10:48
So fire away, questions please.

Yeah what are the constraint payments to fossil fuel generators for comparison to those made to wind farm generators?