PDA

View Full Version : Sutherland & Cormack Families.

Sandylena
04-Feb-05, 17:56
Hi There. I wonder if anyone is able to help me with my family history search for the following people.
My mother was Isabella Sutherland, who's father was George Sutherland born 1899 in the District of Wick. His mother was Isabella Jessie (Janet) Sutherland born C.1879 in Latheron.
Her parents were David Sutherland and Janet(Jessie)Sutherland nee. Bruce.They were all born in Latheron. They had 9children including Isabella Jessie. They were Catherine, David, Georgina, Janet, John,Macintosh, Robert and Williamina.
David Sutherland died in 1879 and the death was registered in 1880 when he was 42 and Janet raised the children herself.He died in Janetstown, Latheronwheel.
The 1881 census shows the family still living in Janetstown, Latheron.
David's parents were Macintosh Sutherland and Catherine Sutherland nee. Cormack.
This is as much as I have been able to find out. So I hope someone is able to help me with finding more about my family.
Thank You so much.
Sandra
My email is
smarshal@hurontel.on.ca

fred
04-Feb-05, 19:28
David Sutherland died in 1879 and the death was registered in 1880 when he was 42 and Janet raised the children herself.He died in Janetstown, Latheronwheel.
The 1881 census shows the family still living in Janetstown, Latheron.
David's parents were Macintosh Sutherland and Catherine Sutherland nee. Cormack.
This is as much as I have been able to find out. So I hope someone is able to help me with finding more about my family.

Hi Sandra

This looks like it could well de Davids family in the 1841 census, Mount Pleasant was near
Upper Lybster I think.

Note that ages of people over 15 years old were usually rounded down to the nearest 5 years in the 1841 census so 35 can be 39 or somewhere in between.

District: 18 Folio: 0 Page: 17
Address: Mount Pleasant

SUTHERLAND Macintosh M 35 Mason Caithness
SUTHERLAND Catherine F 35 Caithness
SUTHERLAND Elizabeth F 14 Caithness
SUTHERLAND John M 12 Caithness
SUTHERLAND Jane F 9 Caithness
SUTHERLAND Cathrine F 7 Caithness
SUTHERLAND David M 5 Caithness
SUTHERLAND Mary F 2 Caithness

Sandylena
04-Feb-05, 21:03
Thanks Fred.
It sure looks like the right connection. Is there anyway to find these early census' online.
The earliest one I have been able to find is1881.
It was great to find out this much.

fred
04-Feb-05, 21:52
Thanks Fred.
It sure looks like the right connection. Is there anyway to find these early census' online.

http://freecen.rootsweb.com/cgi/search.pl

Might have what you are looking for.

fred
04-Feb-05, 22:06
Thanks Fred.

http://freecen.rootsweb.com/cgi/search.pl

Might have what you are looking for.

And BTW Catherine and Macintosh got married on the 7 December 1825 in Latheron.