PDA

View Full Version : Accident waiting to happen?

northener
17-Dec-06, 15:38
Here's one for you.

Drive up to the new Zebra crossings in Wick by the train station and read the yellow signs that have appeared.

"Drivers must give way at Zebra Crossings"

Wrong.

Pedestrian reads sign -sees car coming - remembers what sign says, assumes car will stop and steps out. Bang.

Bear in mind a lot of people up here aren't used to this kind of crossing, so to make such an basic error in wording is unforgivable.

weeboyagee
17-Dec-06, 15:49
Here's one for you.

Drive up to the new Zebra crossings in Wick by the train station and read the yellow signs that have appeared.

"Drivers must give way at Zebra Crossings"

Wrong.

Pedestrian reads sign -sees car coming - remembers what sign says, assumes car will stop and steps out. Bang.

Bear in mind a lot of people up here aren't used to this kind of crossing, so to make such an basic error in wording is unforgivable.
Erm,....I think that since these crossings are not common place in the north and to be quite honest not common place at all these days, drivers tend to drive right across Zebra crossings. Putting the signs there for drivers to see means that if they apply the highway code (which they are supposed to know if they are a qualified driver) then if a person is at a Zebra crossing then they (the drivers) are obliged to stop and allow them (the pedestrians) to cross.

I think I know where the council are coming from here, since the crossings are new and drivers are reminded to give way to pedestrians. I am not sure what I would think of the person who realises that there is traffic coming along the road and doesn't in any case wait for it to stop before entering onto the road, no matter what. That to me is a sheer lack of common sense.

Kaishowing
17-Dec-06, 16:29
Personally I think the placement of the crossings are stupid.
Not that the crossings themselves are a bad idea...but rather where they have been placed.
To locate one right next to a corner???
When the zig-zag markings are right where you need to be, to pull out onto Thurso Street/Road? Not too clever!
What about when someone comes round that corner and someone's on the crossing?
Assuming they stop in time, they could still have the rear of their vehicle on Thurso Street/Road.
Not very well thought out at all.[evil]
If brains were TNT, the person who planned this wouldn't have enough to part their hair!

northener
17-Dec-06, 16:31
I can appreciate why the council put the signs up but the wording is completely wrong!

What the Highway Code actually says is that Drivers must give way to anyone on the crossing. If there are people waiting to cross then the driver can, quite legally proceed with caution. If there's any doubt then the driver should stop. The technical interpretation is that the pedestrian is deemed to be on the crossing as soon as they place their foot on it.

What the sign says is that drivers must give way to anyone at the crossing( ie waiting) - that's a totally different and dangerous misinterpretation.

The problem isn't really with the drivers, its how the pedestrians will act on reading that sign. I know in an ideal world that everyone should look before stepping out but, be honest, how many people have stepped out in front of you in Wick town centre without looking? Lots, I'll bet.

If they won't look on Bridge St then they're not going to even consider looking at a Zebra Crossing if they misguidedly believe the cars have to stop for them.

I've had 3 incidents so far on the one closest to the train station where people have marched out without checking. That's outside school hours - the figure when the kids are coming out or going into school is through the roof.

It's only a matter of time....

northener
17-Dec-06, 16:40
Personally I think the placement of the crossings are stupid.
Not that the crossings themselves are a bad idea...but rather where they have been placed.
To locate one right next to a corner???

When the zig-zag markings are right where you need to be, to pull out onto Thurso Street/Road? Not too clever!

Agree 100% abouth the positioning of the one on the side road.

When you said about the zig-zag lines being where you need to be - what did you mean exactly? Not looking to shoot you down or anything, just curious.

Kaishowing
17-Dec-06, 17:00
Because the crossing is so close to the mouth of the junction, you're still sitting in the zig-zag area of the crossing (where stopping is meant to be illegal) as you try to nose out to see traffic coming from the left...The brick wall there is a hazzard to visibility anyway! [evil]

northener
17-Dec-06, 17:13
Ah, with you now. Figured that's what you meant but didn't wish to assume.

Actually Kai, what you said is a very common assumption but it's not quite correct.

If you are driving along, you can legally wait or stop in the zig-zag area if your progress is being impeded by something ahead such as a queue of traffic or, in your case, the 'give way' marks. Obviously, you must leave the actual crossing clear though.

The 'keep clear' zig-zags are there to prevent people pulling over and parking or stopping to let passengers in or out and restricting vision at the crossing. Just like the ones outside the schools - nothing wrong with pausing on the zig-zag lines if you are driving along, providing you do not pull over and park in the 'keep clear' area.

Kaishowing
17-Dec-06, 17:20
Ah, with you now. Figured that's what you meant but didn't wish to assume.

Actually Kai, what you said is a very common assumption but it's not quite correct.

If you are driving along, you can legally wait or stop in the zig-zag area if your progress is being impeded by something ahead such as a queue of traffic or, in your case, the 'give way' marks. Obviously, you must leave the actual crossing clear though.

The 'keep clear' zig-zags are there to prevent people pulling over and parking or stopping to let passengers in or out and restricting vision at the crossing. Just like the ones outside the schools - nothing wrong with pausing on the zig-zag lines if you are driving along, providing you do not pull over and park in the 'keep clear' area.

Ah.....well, I'll still play it safe and avoid even pausing there whe possible! :D