PDA

View Full Version : black ice

sweetpea
17-Dec-06, 11:24
Had my first taste of this last night. Driving along and I thought the car felt a bit weird and then it was like a floating feeling as if the steering wheel had stopped working. I can't describe it and I never thought for a second it was the road, i thought there was something wrong with the car. When I realised my heart was racing. I'm chuffed with myself though cause I did all the right things.phew....

danc1ngwitch
17-Dec-06, 16:44
yea had a slide on wick road other morning, with the baby in the car.. i was lucky as i stopped half way to bower to make a phone call about a song ( silly hu ) lasted a min the conversation but then as i drove i saw a landrover slip and slide it caused me to slow to around 30/40... If i had not stopped to make the silly call i would have slid at the same time same bit as the woman in the land rover we would have smacked into each other without a doulbt... I will never forget that song it was wicked games by chris issacs... thanks ta that song...

Orger
17-Dec-06, 17:43
Oh yea its a weird weird felling, you don't know whats going to happen as you don't have much control of the vehicle. Just as bad as aquaplaning i suppose..

But lately the black ice has been out in force at night, ice everywhere.. Have to go very slow indeed,.

gofor
17-Dec-06, 17:46
hit black ice this morning car decided it was going to face other direction lucky there was no car coming either way

Orger
17-Dec-06, 17:50
hit black ice this morning car decided it was going to face other direction lucky there was no car coming either way

Oh that was a lucky one.. Least nothing came..!

danc1ngwitch
17-Dec-06, 17:55
wow i would have crapped myself... ur very lucky indeed glad all was ok for you XXX <<< note big kisses for you.:lol:

JAWS
17-Dec-06, 21:03
Obviously the change of Contractor has made no difference. No doubt our "Openness Policy" National Executive will remain silent by claiming it's "Commercially Sensitive Information" if they are asked what the Contractors are supposed to do about gritting.

I have a wonderful view of a good length of the A99 and am often up and about during the night.
When I first move in here some years ago I used to see the Gritter going up and down the main road every few hours all night long.
Since the change to the current system I have more chance of seeing Little Green Men when I'm stone cold sober.

Grit costs money and I know the Rubber Strip along the bottom of the plough is an expensive item to replace so I assume that is why, when it snows, the plough gets no closer than 3 inches above the road surface.

It looks good, but does nothing and I don't blame the drivers who obviously are just doing as they are instructed.

johno
19-Dec-06, 19:26
Oh yea its a weird weird felling, you don't know whats going to happen as you don't have much control of the vehicle. Just as bad as aquaplaning i suppose..

But lately the black ice has been out in force at night, ice everywhere.. Have to go very slow indeed,.
thats very true, i drive a lot & ive hit black ice lot,s of times, the thing is to forget about brakes and steer into the skid if you can. and yes i,ve been very lucky every time. the right speed&gear combination helps too. but then every one is not so lucky, up to now it,s never happened when there was another vehicle near mine.
:eek: :~(