PDA

View Full Version : Explosion noises near Sordale/Halkirk

The Happy Humanist
14-Nov-12, 14:29
My parents live near Halkirk and for the past 2/3 weeks have been hearing noises like distant explosions beginning about 8 in the morning and going on through the day at different times.
Has anyone else heard this or does anyone have an idea what it might be?
My initial thoughts were the quarries at Spittal or windfarms, but not sure
Not wanting to complain or make an issue, they are just curious :D
Thanks

donss
14-Nov-12, 18:45
I couldn't image it's anything to do with the windfarms currently in progress, but more likely one of the local quarries.... I haven't heard anything around the Watten area..

cazmanian_minx
14-Nov-12, 20:35
It's not this lot again is it? Right area:

http://www.johnogroat-journal.co.uk/News/Horses-sppoked-by-loud-bangs-in-Caithness-10082011.htm

rich62_uk
14-Nov-12, 20:39
I am near Reay and heard what I thought was a series of gun shots which is about right for explosions further away.

davem
14-Nov-12, 22:23
Agree with the minx - they did say they'd been doing their testing for years. It was louder last year due to low cloud and atmospheric conditions they said.

The Happy Humanist
15-Nov-12, 09:01
Thanks folks
I suspect thats what it might be. Mystery solved :)

wkgeorge
18-Nov-12, 17:30
I live at Sordale and have heard these bangs for some time now, what I have been told (not sure if correct) is that it has something to do with new trees that are planted at Georgemas and this is to scare any animals from these plantings.

cherokee
18-Nov-12, 18:33
Heard those loud "bangs" here as well, wondered what they were !!!! (near Wick) :eek: :eek:

utid1999
19-Nov-12, 06:38
You sure that wasn't Grahams site in Dounreay blasting you heard? Just a thought:)

crichton
19-Nov-12, 19:42
Given the right conditions you will hear gun fire from the MOD at Cape Wrath. Do we know if any large scale exercise is going on?