PDA

View Full Version : Another Delivery Charge Ripoff

Baconbuttie
14-Nov-12, 00:16
Was looking for some extractor fan fittings 3 items weighing less than 1kg costing about a tenner. Delivery charge £34.99 I emailed them saying this was unreasonable and received the following reply.

"As Caithness is Scottish highlands this is a place that we do not deliver to i'm afraid. We no longer use Royal Mail and our delivery management system does not allow us to ship to your location".

The company was fantronix.com

Needless to say they did not get my order.

jim shoe
14-Nov-12, 00:24
The delivery charge I was quoted for a sink and toilet was £149.95 WHY because I live on an Island.

I tried to explain without loosing my Temper we all live on an Island but the Buffoons could not get it through their cotton wool head.

I explained I live on the mainland but to no avail.

I ended up buying it locally for only £40.00 MORE THAN IN THE BATHROOM SALE AT BATHROOMS DIRECT.

iT PAYS TO SHOP LOCAL.

joxville
14-Nov-12, 00:25
My son had to pay £20 postage for an item from Oxford that normally would cost £5 postage. Because he'd already placed the order it was too late to change, he could have had it delivered to me in Hampshire and I'd have sent it on by Royal Mail for about £5. I've told him to check with me first in future before he pays for something. Too many companies use the Highlands & Islands as an excuse to rip people off, it doesn't cost a fortune to have items sent from H & I.

golach
14-Nov-12, 00:37
I remember a long time ago, when working for HMC&E I had to order stores from the Gov Supply Branch in Woolich for Lerwick, after a few days I got a phone call from a guy in Woolich asking me where the nearest railway station to lerwick was, I replied Bergen...........there was a stunned silence, and then this cockney said Bleeding hell mate are you taking the urine.? Had to give him a geography lesson over the phone [lol]

Beat Bug
14-Nov-12, 10:52
Ages ago we ordered something from Wales. They wanted an extra £13 to deliver it. We queried it with the company, who insisted that as we were Hiighlands and Islands there would be a surcharge. So we suggested they sent it to our daughter in Southampton, who would then bring it up to us on her next visit. Two days later it's delivered to us by Royal Mail! Wonder what the extra £13 was for?

pat
14-Nov-12, 11:57
Recently planned to buy 2 single mattresses from DAPW, total cost was £360, UK delivery was free advertised on website, DAPW then said that does not include ANY of the islands around UK, only Mainland, cost for delivery would have been £135 per mattress, total of £270 delivery, one of their delivery firms would not quote for it as it was too expensive.

Had them delivered to address in Inverness free of charge, picked up by local courier at a cost of £30 for both.

DAPW gave a day for the mattresses to be delivered, delivery did not happen as promised - contacted them to ask what was going on and was refunded £60 immediately. Very very pleased with these mattresses as they had been £420 each before the special offer but would not have paid £270 for delivery.

If I had not had such a good deal from this firm I would not have dealt with anyone charging extra for delivery to Highlands and Islands.
My usual motto is if there is any discrimination to H&I I will not deal with that company.

Kodiak
14-Nov-12, 14:30
About 3 months ago I was looking to buy two comfortable recliner chairs, I had saved up for 18 months to enable me to buy them.

I went to all the local shops but they were just too expensive, so I started to search the internet including eBay. I did find a few chairs that looked suitable at a price I could afford, but the delivery charge was anything from £50 to a Silly £150 per chair.

Mrs Kodiak suggested that I check out Homebase and there I found a chair that was perfect. All Leather, it fully reclined and the best bit at half price. I then looked at the delivery charge......could not believe my eyes Only £8.95 for the whole order no matter how much was in the order.

I ordered and they were delivered on the correct date and the delivery men not only put them exactly where I wanted them but they unpacked, checked that all was OK and demostrated to us on their correct use.

Great service and if I need another item that is fairly large, Homebase will be my first port of call.

poppett
14-Nov-12, 14:43
Had athe same good customer service from Argos with two settees when we lived in Leith, Kodiak.

Kodiak
14-Nov-12, 15:18
Had athe same good customer service from Argos with two settees when we lived in Leith, Kodiak.

This does not surprise me as Homebase and Argos are all the same company. :D

Lavenderblue2
14-Nov-12, 18:56
Maybe you should try 'espares' for the items you need Baconbuttie. I have often used them and their dearest postage charge is £3.99 :-

Value of items
Delivery charge

Under £6
£1.99

£6 to £9.99
£2.99

£10 and above
£3.99

Baconbuttie
14-Nov-12, 20:31
Thanks Lavenderblue2 I am getting it from LED

dirdyweeker
15-Nov-12, 03:32
Free next day delivery from Amazon for a month. AND it works for H & I.

outsidethebox
16-Nov-12, 12:48
More good news on delivery charges as Jessops, Amazon Marketplace and GardenBargains.com scrap the surcharge for the highlands:

http://www.highland-news.co.uk/News/More-firms-to-drop-delivery-charges-to-Highlands-16112012.htm

Tilly Teckel
16-Nov-12, 20:16
I second the vote for Amazon - they offer free delivery on most items and are super fast too. My son pre-ordered the new XBox game and it arrived a day earlier - cue one very happy teenage boy!

poppett
18-Nov-12, 11:55
Most Amazon orders arrive within a day or two, yesterday received two books ordered the day before! However we have waited six weeks now for a parcel coming from HongKong via Amazon, so think it depends where the goods are coming from too.

carrepairman
18-Nov-12, 14:18
Ordered a hard drive containing software from Hong Kong on the Monday, Tracked it via Germany and it arrived in Inverness on the Thursday morning, arrived home by AJG on the Tuesday afternoon, Hong Kong to Inverness quicker than Inverness to Upper Lybster!