trinkie
04-Feb-05, 11:45
There's an interesting list at www.sundayherald.com/np/100things.shtml

How many have you still to do?
Which did you like best ?

SD

DrSzin
04-Feb-05, 13:14
I have done 28, so I have a mere 72 still to do.

The best? Of the ones I can describe on here, I probably had the biggest adrenalin rush skiing Flypaper at Glencoe -- on ice and in the fog. Scary as a rude word for human waste.

Here are the ones I'm pretty sure I've done -- note the absence of Whaligoe steps (I'm really not sure -- embarrassed) and surfing in Thurso. I've been in a boat in the surf on Thurso beach -- does that count?

5. Drive over the Bealach na Ba to Applecross Yes
6. Visit the Turner Watercolours at the National Gallery of Scotland Yes
8. Enjoy a Dorothy's-eye view of Edinburgh Castle Yes
11. Spit on the Heart of Midlothian Yes -- many times!
12. Go to a Highland Games Yes
13. See dolphins Yes
20. Ride the Falkirk Wheel Yes
26. Feed a Highland Cow Yes
28. Experience a really good traditional music session Yes -- many times in Sandy Bell's.
31. Marvel at the Northern Lights Yes
44. Climb Ben Nevis Yes
45. Go Loch Ness Monster hunting Yes
48. Ski/snowboard the 'Flypaper' Yes
50. A night out in Glasgow Yes
51. Visit a malt whisky distillery Yes
60. See Skara Brae Yes
61. Have an ice-cream at Luca's Yes
64. Buy coffee and olive oil at Valvona and Crolla Yes
65. Climb Arthur's Seat Yes
70. Sing Flower Of Scotland at the top of your lungs at the Calcutta Cup Yes
73. Loop the loop on the Clockwork Orange Yes
74. Have a large Laphroaig Yes
77. Pop into Plockton Yes
79. Read the Oor Wullie/Broons annual Yes
89. Eat haggis and clapshot Yes
95. Visit Hopetoun House Yes
96. Strip the Willow Yes
100. Discover the Holy Grail Yes -- inspired by a long-defunct thread on here! Anyone remember Tao and Seqenenre?

I think I might just have earned the right to include:
22. Buy Ian Rankin a pint
In his books, Inspector Rebus drinks in Edinburgh's Oxford Bar, an excellent establishment the author has also been known to frequent. 8 Young Street, Edinburgh, 0131 539 7119

I used to drink there most Friday nights in the late 80s, so it's conceivable that I might have drunk with Ian Rankin before he was famous. What a grotty place it was, and with the rudest barman in the world. He used to throw people out for being from the other side (and I do mean England). I had heard the rumours, but I didn't believe it until I saw it with my own eyes. If I remember correctly, they were rugby fans up for the Calcutta Cup. I know the whole Flower of Scotland -- including the second verse that never gets sung at Murrayfield.

Gawd, I canna type 'e day -- this must be at least the third edit, and that's not including the bit I added at the end. :eyes

squidge
04-Feb-05, 13:25
100. Discover the Holy Grail Yes -- inspired by a long-defunct thread on here! Anyone remember Tao and Seqenenre?

Shhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

you know that if you say their names you might call them up again - a shiver went down my spine then

Rheghead
04-Feb-05, 13:47
I have already done 31/100 and I aspire to do them all except No.70, there is something in my blood that just won't allow me to do that...

EDDIE
04-Feb-05, 15:30
So what about eating a bag of chips down at thurso beach ?.Should that be No1

squidge
04-Feb-05, 15:50
i have done the following

3. Take the West Highland line to Mallaig - lot of years ago before harry potter days
7. Eat a real Arbroath Smokie - holidayed in arbroath in 1975 - with bunches in my hair and red ski pants still love smokies
12. Go to a Highland Games
13. See dolphins
26. Feed a Highland Cow
28. Experience a really good traditional music session
31. Marvel at the Northern Lights
45. Go Loch Ness Monster hunting
51. Visit a malt whisky distillery
55. Attend a Burns Supper in Alloway - half - done the burns supper but not in alloway
56.Spot a mermaid - half again been and sat at sandwood but didnt see a mermaid
79. Read the Oor Wullie/Broons annual - flicked through it
80. Float in the Hebridean Sea - i foated in the sea at arnamurchan - not looking back towards ben nevis but looking out to the small isles of rhum eigg and muck and also looking back to Ben Resipol with its distinctive little twiddle on the top. I dactually like to die in Ardnamurchan. looking out along loch sunart towards Mull at dusk witht the lights from tobermory twinkling in the lengthening shadows.
84. Make and eat tablet
89. Eat haggis and clapshot
96. Strip the Willow
100. i didnt find the holy graill i had fun looking though
There s my list - more than i thought to be honest. Although i enjoyed some more than others there isnt a one i didnt enjoy

Rheghead
04-Feb-05, 16:10

Nah! cos you can't get a decent bag o' chips in Thurso!!

Zael
04-Feb-05, 17:08
My list:

7. Eat a real Arbroath Smokie
11. Spit on the Heart of Midlothian
12. Go to a Highland Games
13. See dolphins
24. Go to King Tut's and listen to a band before they make the big time
26. Feed a Highland Cow
28. Experience a really good traditional music session
30. Go 'doon the watter' on the Waverley
31. Marvel at the Northern Lights
32. See Killer Whales
39. Climb the Whaligoe steps
45. Go Loch Ness Monster hunting
50. A night out in Glasgow
51. Visit a malt whisky distillery
52. Eat an Ashvale Whale
61. Have an ice-cream at Luca's
62. Make a call from the Local Hero phone box
65. Climb Arthur's Seat
70. Sing Flower Of Scotland at the top of your lungs at the Calcutta Cup (1/2 mark here, played rugby 7s there and sung it in the bath after we slaughtered the locals :) )
75. Boo and hiss at a Pavilion panto
77. Pop into Plockton
79. Read the Oor Wullie/Broons annual
89. Eat haggis and clapshot
93. See Billy Connolly in concert in his home city (1/2 mark here, saw him in Wick)
96. Strip the Willow
97. Eat a deep-fried Mars Bar (1/2 mark here again as I could only eat half :/ )

Only 74 to go :)

Bill Fernie
04-Feb-05, 19:25
Actually the list could be at least 1000 but here is my check list of those I have been to or almost done.

2 Standing Stones At Callanish
If you cannot get there take a look at the pictures I took last year at http://www.caithness.org/westernisles/callanish/index.htm

6 National Gallery in Edinburgh
Always worth a look – and leave plenty of time

7. Arbroath Smokies are great.

8. Spit on Heart Of Midlothian
Not done it for few years but as you can imagine when we were in our teens anything for a laugh.

12 Highland Games
Been to a few especially here in Caithness. Halkirk has to be up there with the best.

13 See Dolphins
Seen a few in different places. Moray Firth ones are often to be seen if you are driving north – watch for the crowd but the Pentland Firth offers many chances to see them on the way to Orkney or one of the local boat trips - you might be lucky.

14 Surf in Thurso
Well not really but I have taken pictures of the folk on the waves and it looks good. I do not own a wet suit – that’s my excuse.

15. Go to a traditional music festival
I have been in Shetland when the festival is on and it is great.
If you cannot make it that far check out a ceilidh in Caithness especially the Wick Pipe Band summer shows running once a week or during Pipe Band week. Or at other times of the year the fiddle and accordion clubs gigs weekly in Wick or Thurso.

22 As a native of Edinburgh I think Ian Rankin with all his success should buy me a pint.

23 Never quite made the shortest flight to Papa Westray although I have been to Westray the island opposite where the flight starts from.

24 Feed a Highland Cow
These gentle beasts art to be found all over the place in Scotland and Caithness has quite few on various farms. Keep an eye out as you drive around the county.

29 Visit Maeshow during the winter solstice.
Well worth a look at any time of the year. Never quite made it at the solstice. Just one of many places in Orkney that make you want to revisit. Still Caithness has a huge number of early sites and many more than you think but untouched by archaeologists or anyone else. Get your Ordnance Survey map out and go looking.

Go doon the watter on the Waverley
Our family did this when we lived in Glasgow and very interesting it was. You can eat on the boat. The engine below was fascinating to watch.

Marvel at the Northern Lights
Anywhere in the north of Scotland opens up great opportunities to see this wonderful aspect of the heavens. Caithness often has a great show but is often not noticed. Keep looking out on clear nights. Sometimes it is gone in minutes and other times lasts for hours. Other night sky wonders can often be seen in the clear skies over Caithness. Meteor showers stand out as spectacular in some years at certain times.

32 See Killer whales
Well the Pentland Firth is a highway for them so always worth checking out.

33 A kite in Largs and fly at Millport
Been to both - never flew a kite. Had ice cream at the famous Nardini’s in Largs – now gone.

Climb the Whaligoe Steps
Been here often http://www.caithness.org/atoz/whaligoe/allthesteps/index.htm

45 Go Loch Ness Monster Hunting
Been in the area often and it is difficult to cast your eye over it without thinking “Could there have been a monster once?”

47 Throw a Stone from the North Sea To the Atlantic
Never actually threw the stone but Shetland has fascinating coastline and I never ceased to find some thing interesting to see on my many trips there.

49 Sail To St Kilda
I sailed to St Kilda - spent 12 weeks there and sailed back again many years ago. A wonderful experience and I was fortunate to get pictures of the place last year to let you all see the places I roamed around and lived amongst for all those weeks many years ago. I looked over the highest cliff in Europe at the back of the main island of Hirta after climbing to the top one evening – a wonderful clear night with huge numbers of sea birds flying way down beneath me. Some Soay sheep clambered over from beneath and nearly made me fall back down the hill I had just climbed. Fortunately I was lying flat on my stomach peering down the cliff - about 1300 feet to the sea. Wow. Take a look at some of the place at http://www.caithness.org/stkilda/index.htm

50 A Night out in Glasgow
Had a few in my time.

51 Visit Malt Whisky Distillery
Been to several and if you are in Wick the Old Pulteney one should not be forgotten. For the last couple of years it has been set out with a historical set up and a shop. Even taste a wee dram.

Play the Ba Game
Never was there at the right time but if you look at all the shops they have brackets on the windows to take the boards put up when the Ba game takes place. It is a huge game taking place all over the town. You need to be fit and prepared to take plenty of knocks. Gentle it certainly aint.

58 Climb the Forth Bridge
Just take train from Edinburgh north and you will see it all. Well worth the trip north for the bridge alone but if you have never taken the train you have a huge number of surprises to come as you head north into Scotland. And you can make it all the way to Caithness arriving at Wick or Thurso

59 Catch a salmon in the Tweed
Camped there in my boy scout days for ten days. Never caught a salmon but certainly swam in the river when they were around. Some lovely deep pools on side tributaries and we had plenty of safety arrangements – adult leaders and a buddy system – long before Health and Safety was invented.

60 See Skara Brae
Certainly everyone goes there and no wonder it is so unusual. For the last few years there has been a great visitor centre with a replica of the place complete with open fire before you go t the actual site.

61 Have an ice –cream at Lucas
And we did nearly every Sunday in my teens as I lived in Portobello not far away and the Sunday Walk often was split by an ice-cream to break the walk and maybe a walk round Fisherow harbour nearby.

64 Buy coffee and olive oil at Valvona and Crolla
As an Edinburgh person this was the place that had some of the best smells in the town. Never bought the olive oil or coffee although the smells were great. The cheeses are another aspect you should definitely check out.

65 Climb Arthurs Seat.
Definitely a place for view of the capital. When young a friend and I would tramp up at all times even once in the dark and asked by the Park Ranger at the top what on earth we were doing. Er out for a walk – pitch black and no moon - only a few stars. “the Park is shut” - “Oh really we never noticed!!! Young folk eh what can you do. Also climbed it often at the summer solstice to be at the top for the sun coming up with all the other folk looking to get good luck by washing their face in the morning dew as it rose. Did it work. I can certainly say it did!!! And remember Edinburgh has Seven Hills and at one time or other was up them all.

69 Spend midsummer at Unst
Only got to Yell the island south of Unst. Certainly never gets dark and the sun just floats along the horizon before coming up.

70 Sing Flower of Scotland At The Calcutta Cup
Been to the rugby internationals a few times when I lived in Edinburgh but mainly only sang when I joined an anti apartheid demo when students used to be more involved in causes.

73 Loop the loop on the clockwork Orange
Worth a go if you have never been on it. A bit like a large toy train than an underground. Great fun for the kids.

79 Read Oor Willie/Broons Annual
Read many of them as my sister and I used to get them every Christmas and they were reread on very rainy day for years after.

84. Make and Eat Tablet.
Since my wife has a recipe passed down from her mother we have it often and a special batch for Christmas.

89 Eat Haggis and Clapshot
Just had it for my evening meal tonight

94 Land on Beach at Barra in a plane
My mother went to wedding on Barra during World War Two and I can always almost imagine what it was like although I never got there. Nearest was Benbecula. I have landed in a field on Sanday in Orkney.

96 Strip the Willow
Learned it at school and had a go in various halls over the years – once in a village hall in Benbecula.

100 Discover the Holy Grail
Found it a while back near the Dirlot Castle where rumour had it in the Devils Pool and folk died in the pool trying to look for it and it’s on the shelf in my living Room. Hm if only……….. but if I do find it on my trips out there I will donate it to Wick Heritage Museum – I promise ……….. as it probably carries some ancient curse - whether from the Knights Templar who are supposed to have carried it back or some thing worse

The Pepsi Challenge
04-Feb-05, 19:52

Nah! cos you can't get a decent bag o' chips in Thurso!!

Philistine.

trinkie
04-Feb-05, 20:35
Gosh, you've all been so busy. My experience starts off with tea and sponge cake at that wee shop in Ballachulish...

3 I've taken the West Highland Line to Mallaig
5 Driven to Applecross
6 Seen the Turner exhib at the National
7 Eaten a Smokie
11 Spat on the Heart of Midlothian
12 Been to a Highland Games, many times
13 Seen Dolphins
17 Visited the Abbey on Iona
18 Walked most of the West Highland Way
26 Fed a Highland Coo
31 Seen the Northern Lights
36 Visited the Barras
39 Walked a few of Whaligoe Steps
44 Climbed part of Ben Nevis
45 Been Loch Ness hunting
46 Visited the Glasgow school of Art and the Willow Tea rooms
47 Thrown a stone from the North Sea to the Atlantic
50 Had a night out in Glasgow ( but I dont remember much of it )
51 Visited a Malt Whisky Distillery
60 Been to Skarra Brae
61 Had a huge ice cream at Luca's
64 Bought coffee and olive oil at Valvona and Croola's
65 Climbed Arthur's Seat
74 Drank a small Laphroaig
77 Been to Plockton
79 Read Oor Wullie
84 Made and eaten Tablet
85 Spent a week alone on Skye
89 Eaten haggis and clapshot
92 Visited Hill House
95 Been to Hopetoun House
96 Stripped the Willow
100 Visited Rosslyn Chapel and looked for the Holy Grail

I make that 34 not bad for me, but hey, the day's young yet.

SD

golach
04-Feb-05, 21:08
Silver darlings,
ye are a wee angel...I have been worrying about what to do when my pending retiral comes up soon. But you have solved it for me in one fell swoop, many thanks......now the hard job is to persuade Mrs G to let me go an enjoy mysell [lol]

Golach

trinkie
04-Feb-05, 21:21
Golcah, believe me when you retire you wont have time to travel !
So give Mrs G the cheque book now, and you set off, Grumping all the way.

Where would you start? Up over Arthur's Seat....on to the National.......
over to The Glasgow school of Art for a bit of culture......then
the West Highland Way..
It's endless, there's no place like Scotland.

SD

htwood
08-Feb-05, 05:16
squidge and Szin,

Fear not about calling up Tao and Sequenenre by mentioning their names, because those are not their true names. They are nobodies, just a couple of airheads trying a windup. "Tao" told me allllll about it while on his second or third bottle of red wine, and what an amazing tale it was.
So again, fear not, those names have no power while connected with silly gameplayers living in a fantasy world. :eyes

~~Tides~~
08-Feb-05, 18:31
Surf in Thurso

Went to Thurso, no surf. :(

Windsurd in Tiree

Went to Tiree, no wind. :(

But met Addie Harper in a bar. :D
Which covers:

Go to a traditional music festival on an island

KEEP_ON_TRUCKIN
09-Feb-05, 13:42
No.5 Bealach Na Ba to Applecross
OUt of interest have a lot of people driven this road???

the Bealach na ba is a great road, my mum actually ended up in the glasgow herad because she got stuck overnight in a ten foot snowdrift on the bealach in April about 25 years ago.....GREAT ROAD!! Great place. the locals are friendly, just watch out for the midgies....