PDA

View Full Version : No gritting

badger
16-Dec-06, 19:14
Slithered down the lane this morning and then down to the main road in the wake of some very wavy tracks and even the main road wasn't gritted. It's already extremely slippery tonight, in fact probably worse as it rained earlier and has now frozen but I still haven't seen any gritting lorries. What are they all waiting for?

Piglet
16-Dec-06, 20:18
Slithered down the lane this morning and then down to the main road in the wake of some very wavy tracks and even the main road wasn't gritted. It's already extremely slippery tonight, in fact probably worse as it rained earlier and has now frozen but I still haven't seen any gritting lorries. What are they all waiting for?

Probably out tomorrow for double overtime. :(

You think they would be ouy considering it was freezing last night.

footie chick
16-Dec-06, 21:08
It used to be that the call for gritting our roads came from Inverness! That was a few years ago its probably India now!:eek:

Mamabear
16-Dec-06, 21:28
It used to be from Inverness the call came to do the gritting, It could be freezing in Inverness yet a fine night here in Wick. I remember on countless occasions the gritters out in lashing rain which was in South westerly direction & we havnt in my lifetime had snow with that art of wind!!

Im not michael Fish but would it not be better to use some common sense and use local knowledge once in a while? sometimes the Highland council make the most ridiculous decisions

gofor
16-Dec-06, 21:35
roads were very slippery this morning and the 1st gritter i saw in inverness was at 2pm.

chaz
16-Dec-06, 21:39
saw a gritter today near watten, but no grit comming out:(

the charlatans
16-Dec-06, 21:41
i did pass a gritter on the Wick - Castletown road last night about 5pm and it was gritting. Maybe it just wasn't enough?

boy there's nothing on telly tonight

Highland Laddie
16-Dec-06, 22:57
2 gritters were on the road at 7 this morning on the way to Dounreay, then i met the Dounreay gritter.
On the way home at 5 tonight, again 2 gritters were on the road, and all gritting.

Should have said, it was on the Watten Road.

Mamabear
16-Dec-06, 23:00
i did pass a gritter on the Wick - Castletown road last night about 5pm and it was gritting. Maybe it just wasn't enough?

boy there's nothing on telly tonight

There is on sky :lol: Council telly is crap eh?

the charlatans
16-Dec-06, 23:12
council & freeview = rubbish tonight, minus the 5 minutes of Coast featuring Wick thats been repeated a million times.

currently being bored to death by X Factor final. eurgh i might just turn it off.

ow that hurt.

Through
16-Dec-06, 23:18
There is on sky :lol: Council telly is crap eh?

I refuse to have Sky. They think they can charge what they like, so they do. If I won the lottery I still wouldn't pay them for Sky.

badger
17-Dec-06, 19:26
To get back to gritting .... :eek: (how on earth did this get on to what's on the telly? oh well, never mind). Could there possibly be any connection between this and a more recent thread
http://forum.caithness.org/showthread.php?t=19160
I wonder?
No gritting = black ice = accident waiting.

peedie
17-Dec-06, 21:32
i thought since i dont have the car down here i wouldnt have to worry but no, last night it rained then iced over was very slippy and i fell and knocked my head on the pavement. thankyou to the 2 people that walked past me and so kindly asumed i was drunk :confused i now have a lump the size of a goose egg on the back of my head.... ouch!

badger
17-Dec-06, 21:40
You poor thing - that's a really horrible thing to happen and do hope you're OK. Remember doing that once and have been terrified of slipping on ice ever since. No chance pavements will be made safe and I couldn't believe how slippery it was last night even on my drive, which is chippings.

peedie
17-Dec-06, 21:44
You poor thing - that's a really horrible thing to happen and do hope you're OK. Remember doing that once and have been terrified of slipping on ice ever since. No chance pavements will be made safe and I couldn't believe how slippery it was last night even on my drive, which is chippings.

i'm fine thank you badger, lump still hurts but it is definatley going down. chippings are a nightmare! bad enough in the best conditions never mind ice!