PDA

View Full Version : I think this is so wrong

billmoseley
11-Nov-12, 20:07
My wife just showed me this video clip of the latest doll. Is it me or do other people think this is just going a little bit too far.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x7PsVQH6lCQ

Rheghead
11-Nov-12, 20:34
You've just lit the blue touch paper.:lol:

Ballymore
11-Nov-12, 20:38
Goin a bit too far I would say but it would be great if it would encourage these girls to breast feed when they become mothers later in life. Far too few mothers breast feed despite being encouraged to do the most natural thing in the world - an expecting friend of mine told me she found just the thought of breastfeeding disgusting - maybe a doll like this would have changed her mind!

mi16
11-Nov-12, 20:56
I don't see any issue with it.Do you also have a problem with women breastfeeding in public?

starfish
11-Nov-12, 21:04
i do not see what the fuss is about , it might help with jealousy when a new baby arrives , if the other sidling has this doll . I remember when mine was little a huge outcry went on about dolls coming out with genital of the sex of the doll. breast feeding is after all is a natural way to fed you baby if you so desire to do so.

focusRS
11-Nov-12, 21:07
Too far. If someone gave my daughter a doll of any description they would be taking it back home with them in their anus.

joxville
11-Nov-12, 21:14
For too long women have been dependent on formula milk instead of natural so kids aren't used to seeing babies being breastfed, so anything that teaches them that it's a natural thing to do should be encouraged. I know that sometimes personal circumstances come into it, my ex-wife refused to breast feed our son so that she could get back to work after a few months of maternity leave, but for stay-at-home mothers I think more should do it. Apparently the baby bonds better with the mother and is usually healthier too; but I'm a man, what do I know? ;-)

squidge
11-Nov-12, 21:41
I think its lovely - the little waistcoat with the flowers is charming. Breast feeding is normal and therefore there is nothing weird or disturbing about this doll surely.

sids
11-Nov-12, 21:45
they would be taking it back home with them in their anus.

Some would say that's worse.

focusRS
11-Nov-12, 22:02
Some would say that's worse. Worse than my 2 year old wandering about the house with a fake doll sucking at her chest? Ehhhhh nah not in my head anyhow. Breast feeding is in my opinion the best start for your child if you can manage it and it's a natural and beautiful thing but where do we draw the line? Sex is a natural and beautiful act but I'm damned if I would buy my child a humping Barbie and Ken. My daughter can have a child on her chest when she is 30 and I have approved the father.

squidge
11-Nov-12, 22:11
focusRS each to their own I think. It wouldn't bother me at all but there are other things that would and do bother me which I know dont bother my friends. Also Im a trained Breast feeding peer supporter lol - I walked around with a knitted boob in my handbag for ages lol.

Dadie
11-Nov-12, 22:28
My girls would walk around with a doll up their jumpers "feeding them" like mummy.
Most dolls come with a bottle or dummy, which none of my kids had.
But I wouldnt buy the doll for them or my wee boy, not because I have an issue with the doll, but because I have an issue with dolls fullstop!
I think most dolls are creepy and I hate the way they stare at you and the faces are not realistic unless you want to spend loads of money .....all dolls in the house were pressies from other people.
At nursery they have boy dolls, girl dolls, different ethnic group dolls and squishy cloth dolls...all to play with, and, its not just the girls who play with them and the prams!

Koi
12-Nov-12, 17:14
My son loves buggies and prams so much that i bought him one. Nothing wrong with boys playing with buggies/prams as dads push their bairns don't they? ;) I do think its good to encourage children to play with all toys and not have toys separated into boys and girls toys.
I have no problems with the doll as breast feeding is a natural thing. I do think however that breast feeding itself though is a natural thing is a personal choice. I personally did not breastfed and i had no desire to. I'm glad i didn't as my son was a very hungry baby. Tbh all but one midwives i saw when i was pregnant was pushy about breastfeeding. The more they pushed me the less inclined i was to change my mind. They need to stop that practice if they want women to be comfortable enough to give it a go without feeling that they have to. At the end of the day breastfed or bottle fed who cares as long as mother and baby are happy :D
Breastfeeding in public is still frowned on by so many people which puts mothers of feeding their babies in public. The same tbh about bottle feeding as i found this out myself. I think any women who decides to breastfeed for however long she does it for is doing a great thing. It's just not for everyone.

squidge
12-Nov-12, 17:23
You are right Koi
we need a whole new approach to promoting breast feeding the current policies are damaging and disempowering women in my opinion.

changilass
12-Nov-12, 18:56
That is sooo cute, if I had a girl I would certainly be buying it for her.

sids
12-Nov-12, 19:23
Worse than my 2 year old wandering about the house with a fake doll sucking at her chest? Ehhhhh nah not in my head anyhow. Breast feeding is in my opinion the best start for your child if you can manage it and it's a natural and beautiful thing but where do we draw the line? Sex is a natural and beautiful act but I'm damned if I would buy my child a humping Barbie and Ken. My daughter can have a child on her chest when she is 30 and I have approved the father.

Oh right- I haven't actually looked at the linked video. Is it a baby doll with a lifelike suck? That's quite weird!

I thought it might be a mother doll that you filled up with milk and squirted it at passers-by. You know, something normal like that.

Southern-Gal
12-Nov-12, 19:37
I dont think it is wrong at all.
If fact giving young girls a baby doll with a bottle could be seen as very wrong by some people. Some would see it as discouraging breast feeding from childhood and ethically wrong.
Getting breast feeding out in the open has to be a good thing. I fed mine wherever I was.
There are dolls that wee and this is no different.

golach
12-Nov-12, 19:55
I dont think it is wrong at all.
If fact giving young girls a baby doll with a bottle could be seen as very wrong by some people. Some would see it as discouraging breast feeding from childhood and ethically wrong.
Getting breast feeding out in the open has to be a good thing. I fed mine wherever I was.
There are dolls that wee and this is no different.

What would you like to see next? Dolls that simulate sex!!!! Dolls are toys!! Toys are made to be played with, Toys are for children, for gawd sake let them be bairns and not mini adults [disgust]

changilass
12-Nov-12, 19:58
Dinnae be daft gol.

Breastfeeding would happen in front of your older kids, you wouldnae have sex in front of them though lol

Koi
12-Nov-12, 20:12
You are right Koi
we need a whole new approach to promoting breast feeding the current policies are damaging and disempowering women in my opinion.

Totally agree Squidge. All they are going to achieve is pushing more women to bottle feeding or women breastfeeding but not really wanting to. they have got to stop being so pushy. I was made to feel like i was a rubbish mum because i didn't want to breastfeed. They should encoruage breastfeeding but not be so bully like about it if you don't want to.

golach
12-Nov-12, 20:14
Dinnae be daft gol.

Breastfeeding would happen in front of your older kids, you wouldnae have sex in front of them though lol

How dare you call an elder relative daft!!!! [disgust]

and stop trying to steal the best time a bairn can have...........its "Childhood"

Southern-Gal
12-Nov-12, 22:48
Dinnae be daft gol.

Exactly.

And as for them being children and letting them play - they learn through play and enjoy doing everyday things like housework as part of it, that is why there are toy vacuum cleaners and irons :)

dragonfly
12-Nov-12, 22:57
I think its fine too, children learn through play, its a much better toy than an Xbox or a DVD. I do think its funny that the majority of those against it on this thread are male....

billmoseley
13-Nov-12, 19:35
Well it seems most think it's fine it must be me just be a miserable old git :lol:. i have nothing against breast feeding both of my girls were but i just think the age group that this is aimed for is far too young to be thinking about babies in that way but thats what i think many thanks everyone for some interesting posts

Rheghead
13-Nov-12, 20:39
I do think its funny that the majority of those against it on this thread are male....

I am not surprised really, I'd imagine most men can't see past a boob's sexual aesthetic value to appreciate its got a utility function.

billmoseley
13-Nov-12, 21:19
I think its fine too, children learn through play, its a much better toy than an Xbox or a DVD. I do think its funny that the majority of those against it on this thread are male....
Maybe men hate to think of their little girls growing up and having anything to do with men. :lol:

woofit
14-Nov-12, 01:02
Sorry...but I think it's just a bit TOO weird....I have only one daughter who I breastfed, until 9 months. It wasn't for any great health benefits....just laziness on my behalf! She was fully on solids,and it was one feed at night coz it knocked her out :-)...until the teeth struck! I have always been honest with her regards how she was fed..ie when you have a baby, you produce milk to feed your baby .....and I think that's as far as it should go. If I'd had another baby...then she would have had a more visual education....but I didn't....and I don't think it's normal for a kids 'toy' to be a strap on fake flower boob...especially with the age it's aimed at! .it's just wrong! Kids are growing up too quickly as it is....lets not add 'flower nipples' into the equation! lol. General education is fine....breast feeding is natural, tell the kids....ps....my nipples don't look like 'flowers'!

Skerries
17-Nov-12, 10:52
I don't think there is anything wrong with this at all. I would be more concerned about size zero dolls dressed in slutty clothes, and revealing adult-style clothes for young girls than this. There doesn't seem to be any concern about violent computer games so why worry about a breast feeding doll!