PDA

View Full Version : Inspect your PC for patches, updates and out of date software

blueivy
15-Dec-06, 21:11
Secunia have made their Software Inspector available to everybody. It uses Java so it's browser independent.

* Detects insecure versions of applications installed
* Verifies that all Microsoft patches are applied
* Assists you in updating your system and applications
* Runs through your browser. No installation or download is required.

It's actually pretty useful and quick. I didn't find much here other than the version of Adobe Acrobat Reader I had was out of date. As they release a new version every 5 minutes that was inevitable!

Hope it's useful to somebody especially with the amount of vulnerabilities around!

binbob
25-Mar-09, 11:53
i went to switch off my laptop last night.....but will not do so.disconnected everything ..still at logging off....can anyone please advise???
many thanks in advance...;)
thankl goodness i kept the desktop....

octane
25-Mar-09, 11:59
Do a hard reset...hold the power button in until the laptop turns off (about 5-10 secs usually)

Then press it again once its off and allow it to boot up. You may get a black screen telling you windows didnt shut down properly so use the arrow keys and select either "start windows normally or Last known good configuration" and press enter.

Hopefully its a one off but if not then more details about anything you have changed lately ie. New software or games installed etc etc

blueivy
25-Mar-09, 12:00
i went to switch off my laptop last night.....but will not do so.disconnected everything ..still at logging off....can anyone please advise???
many thanks in advance...;)
thankl goodness i kept the desktop....

Switch off the power?

binbob
25-Mar-09, 12:38
Switch off the power?

i did that several times.paul..no joy....bobbi

binbob
25-Mar-09, 12:47
Do a hard reset...hold the power button in until the laptop turns off (about 5-10 secs usually)

Then press it again once its off and allow it to boot up. You may get a black screen telling you windows didnt shut down properly so use the arrow keys and select either "start windows normally or Last known good configuration" and press enter.

Hopefully its a one off but if not then more details about anything you have changed lately ie. New software or games installed etc etc
octane..thank u so much..job done ..spot on. thank u.

best wishes
bobbi:)

blueivy
25-Mar-09, 13:09
i did that several times.paul..no joy....bobbi

Just so I'm clear.

You've switched the laptop off at the power completely (ie. it turns right off, no flashing lights, nothing). When you switch it back on it immediately comes up with the screen that says 'Logging off' (the off part is important).

If not, can you explain exactly what the problem is (and the steps you did to get there) and what you've done to correct it?

binbob
25-Mar-09, 13:28
Just so I'm clear.

You've switched the laptop off at the power completely (ie. it turns right off, no flashing lights, nothing). When you switch it back on it immediately comes up with the screen that says 'Logging off' (the off part is important).

If not, can you explain exactly what the problem is (and the steps you did to get there) and what you've done to correct it?
it wasv as u just said..really....

so i did what octane advised..hey presto..back to normal.

blueivy
25-Mar-09, 13:29
it wasv as u just said..really....

so i did what octane advised..hey presto..back to normal.

It sounds like you didn't shut it down properly (which means you have to hold the power button for a few seconds). You just put it into Standby (which means you press it just once for 1 second).

binbob
25-Mar-09, 14:31
It sounds like you didn't shut it down properly (which means you have to hold the power button for a few seconds). You just put it into Standby (which means you press it just once for 1 second).
ok...that could have been it.thanks for ur input.much appreciated.
binbob

Liz
26-Mar-09, 23:42
Secunia have made their Software Inspector available to everybody. It uses Java so it's browser independent.

* Detects insecure versions of applications installed
* Verifies that all Microsoft patches are applied
* Assists you in updating your system and applications
* Runs through your browser. No installation or download is required.

It's actually pretty useful and quick. I didn't find much here other than the version of Adobe Acrobat Reader I had was out of date. As they release a new version every 5 minutes that was inevitable!

Hope it's useful to somebody especially with the amount of vulnerabilities around!

This is great Paul. Many thanks!