PDA

View Full Version : Naughty EBAY Auction

Scaraben1976
15-Dec-06, 19:16
Last week I bought some stuff from EBAY. In the auction was a picture of the bottle of stuff by the manufacturer I was looking for, so I ordered it.

A couple of days later, a nice box arrives and inside was the stuff I was looking for, but by a different manufacturer. The stuff I had received was of an inferior quality to the stuff I had seen and wanted. So off i pop a little email to the seller (who is a company) explaining that I have received the wrong stuff could they send out the right stuff.

A couple days later I get an email back saying "Picture is for illustration purpose only, actual item(s) may vary", but they will send me out the other stuff when I send back the stuff I had received. So I asked woudl they refund my postage?

Today gor a nother email from them saying that "postage is non refundable"

Now to me this would be like someone on ebay posting an auction selling a "TELEVISION" and posting a pic of a nice brand new 32" HD plasma, and then sending the winner an small portable, but saying that "Picture is for illustration purpose only, actual item(s) may vary"

Does anyone know if I have a leg to stand on, or what the regulations on this are??

footie chick
15-Dec-06, 19:20
If you used paypal you could always give them a try.

badger
15-Dec-06, 19:24
Did you read the small print in the description because I have seen sellers saying this? Also, what was their feedback like? That's usually a pretty good indication. If you've lost a lot of money then it's worth fighting but if not then leaving bad feedback (so long as the description was inaccurate) might make you feel better.

Scaraben1976
15-Dec-06, 19:31
Did you read the small print in the description because I have seen sellers saying this? Also, what was their feedback like? That's usually a pretty good indication. If you've lost a lot of money then it's worth fighting but if not then leaving bad feedback (so long as the description was inaccurate) might make you feel better.

Thier feedback is good.

I know sellers usally say this, but the picture they would normally use would be of a generic, non branded item. In this case they had a picture of a branded item.

Saxo01
15-Dec-06, 19:57
sounds like youv'e been stuffed, sorry its not funny ive just had a paypal dispute where a fone was nothing like described, paypal actually withheld the amount in question from the sellers account until the refund cheque was cleared & i notified them i was happy i did lose out on the postage for returning though

Tristan
15-Dec-06, 22:36
Thier feedback is good.

I know sellers usally say this, but the picture they would normally use would be of a generic, non branded item. In this case they had a picture of a branded item.

If there is no 'item may not be as described' I would threaten/or report him to ebay and paypal.
There is no excuse for that.

nicnak
15-Dec-06, 23:02
Hi there just thought I should let you know that if the seller is a company you have the same consumer rights as buying from a shop, so you would be entitled to a refund or replacement and they have to refund your postage threaten them with consumer rights and trading standards office and you should hopefully get somewhere.

Orger
16-Dec-06, 01:25
Last week I bought some stuff from EBAY. In the auction was a picture of the bottle of stuff by the manufacturer I was looking for, so I ordered it.

A couple of days later, a nice box arrives and inside was the stuff I was looking for, but by a different manufacturer. The stuff I had received was of an inferior quality to the stuff I had seen and wanted. So off i pop a little email to the seller (who is a company) explaining that I have received the wrong stuff could they send out the right stuff.

A couple days later I get an email back saying "Picture is for illustration purpose only, actual item(s) may vary", but they will send me out the other stuff when I send back the stuff I had received. So I asked woudl they refund my postage?

Today gor a nother email from them saying that "postage is non refundable"

Now to me this would be like someone on ebay posting an auction selling a "TELEVISION" and posting a pic of a nice brand new 32" HD plasma, and then sending the winner an small portable, but saying that "Picture is for illustration purpose only, actual item(s) may vary"

Does anyone know if I have a leg to stand on, or what the regulations on this are??

If you paid via paypal then your ok otherwise your snookered...

what does the description say,,..? Does it give a size.. (maybe very small letters)

_Ju_
16-Dec-06, 10:53
Feedback is for the most part unreliable in e-bay. The seller can have accounts that give him/her excellent feedback, diluting the effects of any negative feedback left. It was described in the programme about e-bay a short while ago on TV.
I would contact e-bay and maybe go through pay-pal if you used the system to complain about what happened to you. Though e-bay does love it's sellers seeing as they get their money off them and not the buyers. That doesn't mean you shouldn't make the complaint (just because you might not get anything out of it). Even though they are e-bayers, especially if they have a shop, they are commiting fraud if they purposfully induce you into error on their product.:mad: (Like one bloke who had a picture of DMC floss but didn't mention the word in description. He was selling a cheap equivalent with a DMC picture.grrrrrrrrrrr).